AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping those on this forum can help me with my theater room/game room design. This is the area I have to work with. I can frame it or do most anything to it as necessary. 1/2 will need to be for the game room, and the other half for the theater room. I have included a couple of different to scale drawings to hopefully help. There is currently no wall separating the 2 rooms. In the middle, there is an HVAC cavity that is still open. One option is to separate the 2 rooms by a curtain to help dampen the sound coming from the theater room. The 11' wide room I think would be more ideal as the theater room, because it has virtually no windows, and I would like to use the hvac cavity to mount my projector and project onto the wall with the small window. Currently, there is no door going either into the hallway or the laundry room, but those can be added as needed. I thought about completely enclosing the 11' room into an 11'x11' room, but I know having a small square room is difficult to make accoustically sound good. Another option I have is to put up just one of those walls to the 11' room so I end up with the 11'x11' room, but then leave the back open to the game room. I am open to suggestions. I have a great deal of freedom in what I'm allowed to do, I just mainly want it to sound it's best.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It really comes down to personal preference as well as other factors. Are you an audiophile or do you just want an overall good home theater experience. Do you entertain? Are you married? The WAF (wife acceptance factor) is very important.

I would suggest looking at some of the builds in this forum that are similar to your situation. A good starting point is the "Before and After" thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=628588

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
11X11 is pretty tight for a projector and screen solution and, of course, a TV no matter how nice, can't deliver a true Theater in the Home visual experience.

First Theater for us was 60 TV on the long end of our living room for watching television stuff but across the shorter width of that room I had a shelf mounted projector and screen mounted on opposite wall - throw distance lens-to-screen was about 11 feet and we had a decent 100in or so image and a good Theater emulation.

Now it's all in our detached garage that I've converted to a bar/game room and theater. We like it that game room and theater equipment are all arranged in a single open area - it can be completely darkened for a Theater like movie experience but is can be partially lit and we still get a nice 120in image if watching TV or a sports event - lighting similar to a Sports Bar with projectors works well. With this application guests can watch the game, play one of the seven pinball machines, foosball, coin-op darts of just sit at the bar being socialable as they care to.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say game room - those younger than I would probably say PS3 or Wii or PC for the games - my game roots go further back so we prefer coin-op commercial arcade games like pinball machines. Whatever your preferences I think having a multi-purpose area that is open would have a better feel than tiny walled in smaller rooms.

GoodLuck

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ The Incident: I think my main issue here is accoustics. What is going to sound the best. Yes, we do entertain on occasion, but don't "usually" have more than maybe 5-6 people over. Fortunately, I "think" (hope) I've got the WAF covered. She's pretty much given me the green light to do what I need to do to make this work. I wouldn't put myself in the audiophile category, but I do enjoy nice clean theater sound.

@ imjay: Yeah, I liked the idea of having both rooms together for the same reason. My main reason for closing it off would be for sound control. The rooms don't share any bedroom walls, but I'd like to be able to play it as loud as I want and not have to worry about waking the baby. I could put a door on the entrance from the hallway and also to the laundry room and make it basically 1 big room. It won't be sound proof, but it should at least slow it down a bit. Do you think a curtain separating the game room and the theater room would do much to at least dampen the sound? The game room will have pergo flooring, but the theater portion will be carpeted. For just watching movies for a handful of people, I'd like it to be as close to a true theater experience as possible. I'm with you, the game room is more of a "true" game room. We have an air hockey table and a MAME machine I built a few years back. I'd "like" to have a pool table, but we'll have to see how practical it is with space when all is said and done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts