AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've ditched the old Entertainment Center and 27" CRT and my newly acquired Pioneer PDP-5080HD fitty inch plaz is nestled into it's new home, but it's feeling a bit out of place right now. You see, it's connected up to a crappy DVD/VCR Combo (non upconverting, non-progressive) as well as an old school receiver (non-DTS, non HDMI, etc etc).

This just has to change. However, my wallet is starting to cry. Now, I think I speak for about 90% of the people who come to these forums looking for advice... I just don't have $5000 laying around to drop on an HT. In fact, I don't even have $1000. And after my recent splurge on my TV and entertainment center, I really don't have ANY. But I'm doing research on what I WILL get, once my funds have been replenished....so here I am.

Like everyone else, I'm looking for the best of both worlds between quality and price. But here is my current setup:

PDP-5080HD 50" 768p Plasma

HDTV (Comcast) on Scientific Atlanta (Not sure Model #) via HDMI

Xbox 360

Crappy DVD/VCR Combo

Crappy Receiver/5.1 Surround

I WILL also be getting a PS3 to handle my Blu-Ray needs, but i've come to the conclusion that I will want to have a separate DVD player for playing SD DVD's because I might not get it RIGHT away and will want something to play my current DVDs and so that I don't wear out the PS3.

Environment:

20' x 13' Room. TV is in middle of 20' wall as well as couch on the other side. I'm estimating my viewing distance from the TV would be about 9-10'.

What's important to me in a HT:

1. I don't want CUBE style speakers or HUGE towers. Having small-medium sized speakers is key for me because I don't want my condo to look like freakin IMAX.

2. The receiver handles all of the current audio formats including anything the PS3 will do (Audio over HDMI?)

3. The DVD player plays DVD+-R Media. MP3, Divx and all of that would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

4. I want to get a Universal remote that handles all my components. I dont know if this matters but Just in case, i put it in there.

I don't care if it's an HTIB or if I purchase the components separately. I would also like to be able to get this at BB, cuz i have a CC there...but it's not crucial. The reason i post this in here is because I want them all to match, but so long as they're all black, i don't really care.

Ok, I can't think of anything else at the moment....

Thank you very very much for your input. Please let me know If i need to provide any more info.

EDIT: The Onkyo HT-SP908 looks nice. It looks like the DVD player is sub-par though and doesnt play DVD+R.... that's not good.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I pretty much was all set. I decided on the 908. Then I found this:

HDMI I/O = 2 / 1

2 HDMI Inputs!? What!? WHY!??

It comes w/ a DVD Player that you plug in via HDMI (so there goes 1 right off the bat) and I want to hook up 3 more: Xbox 360 , HD Cable Box and eventually a Blu Ray Player (PS3)

I know there's HDMI Switching Components but who wants to do that? My TV has 4 HDMI 1.3 inputs (Pio Kuro 5080HD). Right now I have all 3 of my components (DVD Player, Cable Box and Xbox 360) sending video directly to the TV and audio to BOTH my TV and Receiver so that I can choose to have the sound come from either. My GF doesnt like to fiddle w/ the receiver....

Actually, now that I have the xbox connected up via HDMI, it has to go straight to the TV, so i can only play the sound via the TV Speaker if I want to use HDMI (which I've discovered is a better video option than Component). The xbox 360 only has two outputs, HDMI and Component, and you can't connect up both at the same time because they block each other, so I'd need to hook it up to a receiver that accepts HDMI....

Eventually, I wouldnt mind getting rid of the Speaker on the Panel and have everything go through my receiver. I'm worried about the cost of an HDMI 1.3 component switching unit, as well as it's effectiveness, especially with audio syncing. I already don't like the Idea of going to the receiver first, nevermind through another component...

Is there hope for me? Surely I can't be the only one who has more than 2 HDMI inputs and wants to use this HTIB?

Thanks for your insight as always!

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorts /forum/post/12896159

I'm worried about the cost of an HDMI 1.3 component switching unit, as well as it's effectiveness, especially with audio syncing.

I was concerned about the hdmi limit, but figured that a manual switch

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've realized now that you dont really need to hook up your devices to your receiver. You can simply send video to your TV via HDMI, and send audio separately to the receiver.

I would, however, set up my PS3 (when i get one) via HDMI to the receiver to take advantage of the HD Audio. I also thought I would have to connect the Xbox to the receiver as well, but then i learned you can purchase an HDMI/Optical Cable for the xbox to allow you to send audio separately from the HDMI.

So, my question is now more related more to how to control this setup. If the PS3 is connected to the receiver, and the rest of the components are connected to the tv via HDMI w/ audio ran separately to the receiver (via optical or otherwise)...how would you control all the devices w/ one remote?

Wow, i'm a n00b.

PS - i think i'm leaning towards the Samsung HT-AS720ST.... i think it's purty, and at $550, i could buy a dvd player and still be under the cost of the onkyo 908...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeynavy1 /forum/post/12917543

Yes, but I think if you ever go with Blu-Ray or HDDVD and want TrueHD or DTS-MA you have to transmit via HDMI.

Right, which is why i said:

...I would, however, set up my PS3 (when i get one) via HDMI to the receiver to take advantage of the HD Audio....QUOTE]

Not trying to be sassy. Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to imagine my setup with a receiver and want to control it the easiest way and preferable all w/ 1 controller.

Is this possible?

·
Registered
12 Posts

Right, which is why i said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorts /forum/post/12913095

...I would, however, set up my PS3 (when i get one) via HDMI to the receiver to take advantage of the HD Audio....QUOTE]

Not trying to be sassy. Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to imagine my setup with a receiver and want to control it the easiest way and preferable all w/ 1 controller.

Is this possible?

He means the Samsung is not HDMI 1.3, therefore no TRUE HD audio. The Onkyo 908 is hands down better then the Samsung. The receiver is actually the 605, so it is a true component HTIB. The 908 does only have 2 HDMI 1.3 inputs, but it also has component too. If you need another after your PS3, hook the DVD player up with component, its 480 upconverted anyway, you won't notice the difference (it sucks no matter what compared to the BR).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts