AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a message saying there is a free webtv upgrade.

I tried downloading it and it never makes it to the end. Tried everything short of a indpendent ISP.

I have tried all resets, unplugging, pull and check cables, fuses and internal reset.

The machine doesn't respond to the remote except for turning on the green light but after that I can't shut it off.

I do not get any video anymore. I can hear the hardrive read the disk upon powering on.

Is there any signs that I could just replace the hardrive? I have a new 120g maxtor in a box sitting around, but don't want to use a 2nd UTV to complete this repair. Or should I go for the replacement through RCA?

·
Registered
278 Posts
If it boots directly to a 'WebTV' screen, there is a problem with your HD. Either the connection has gotten loose somehow (unlikely) or the drive itself has failed (likely). Thus your new HD (as long as it's compatible with UTV) should fix the problem (if it's not just the connection).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't boot to a WebTV screen anymore, I just get a blank screen and doen't power off when requested.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

I wouldn't be so quick to say your current UTV Hard Drive is "bad"... Just that your UTV doesn't like it anymore... :)

If you ever followed the Locked = Married and Unlocked = UnMarried/Divorced discussion threads here, then you might call this condition you are having as Undecided or "Seperated"...

Since the typical UTV user (many of us included) didn't work for MS developing the UTV system there are various "Unknown" aspects of the UTV that we basicly need to stumble onto or mark up as a "Mystery" or Miracle...

The check that your UTV system itself is working correctly you'll want to pull the hard drive. (Be sure to follow precautions like pulling the Access Card and Power Cord)

Try turning the UTV back on without the hard drive... This should give you back a Video display of the "WebTV" screen...

If not then you'll probably want to check in the "Green Flashing Light" section for information about restoring a UTV after a "bad" power failure...

If you get Video back after removing the hard drive... try unplugging the system (Everything) for a few hours/overnight and then put the drive back in (Make sure your jumper settings haven't changed or reseat them to make sure the jumper contacts are good...

If that doesn't work a Hard Drive swap may be in order... However, your old UTV Drive may still be good... check elsewhere for info. about using a software program to unlock the drive from your PC...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, with the hard drive out, I regain my video, put the drive back in and I don't get any video or response from the controller. I iwll try a search unless anyone can provide a link to this Locked = Married and Unlocked = UnMarried/Divorced discussion. Also is there a current link for the hard drive swap out? thanks so much

·
Registered
354 Posts
I beleive a warning is in order here to all UTV users.

Yesterday my red mail LED was on so checked the mail. Said something about "to see how much faster your internet connection can be" click here.

Unfortunately I clicked there.

Green light started flashing & the screen went blank. No response to remote. Green light out. No remote response for several minutes.

Started up on its own again with "Searching for Program Guide" then for satellite signal.

When finally came back program guide was empty. REAL PAIN

Wanted to peruse the guide & see which of the new shows I wanted to record this week. Couldn't see anything past tonight!

There was no power failure (on UPS).

Consider yourselves warned. Don't try opening that one!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back to my problem:

I switched out the original hard drive and installed a new maxtor 120g. Download started off and continued to at least 266 when it went ito standby mode. I waited another 45min and came back and hit the up key to breakout of the screen saver. The unit powere down by itself and i could not get it to come back up. The grren, yellow & red lights keep flashing and the unit tries to reboot. If I unplug the new hard drive, UTV comes back up and tries to dial out. At this point I plug the hard drive in and eventually I get a bad modem message, even though its fine. What is my next step and can I reclaim either drive for re-use on the UTV or my home computer?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another update,

I was able to redial out to MSN and download the full 297 parts, it then asked if I wanted to connect to MSN or turn off the unit. I elected the shut off. It turned off but would not power up, again all lights flashing and the screen flickering as if it was trying to reboot. Now I am at a complete loss.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to put the original drive back in and switch with RCA, however how do I get my maxtor 120g back to factory for my pc?

·
Registered
17,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pyro383
I am going to put the original drive back in and switch with RCA, however how do I get my maxtor 120g back to factory for my pc?
You do the unlock procedure in reverse - instead of unlocking the original drive, you're unlocking the 120GB drive. Check the FAQ if you need the steps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.