AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. I have been watching the forums quite a while for now. I have read everything I can, but now I need your advice!

I have decided to move my Pioneer SD-532HD5 to the bedroom (great set, but no 720 p and a little small for the den) and purchase a new rear projection set for the den. After moving furniture around, the closest I am able to come to the screen area is a little over 10 1/2'. Based on this calculation, I've decided that 65-70" screen would be ideal for watching 1080i/p via HD DirecTV and BlueRay.

I don't have gobs of money, and so a Sony 70 XBR/SXRD is out. I considered the Sony 60 XBR/SXRD, 60 A2000, Mitsubishi 732/831, and Samsung 6178/6188, as well as the Samsung HL-S 7178, which I am able to get a good deal on (the 7178) due to a return of a Sharp LCD to Best Buy and an effort to keep my business.

I would prefer larger than 60-61"; actually, 65" would be just fine (of course bigger is better
), but try as I may, I have not been able to really like the color on the Mitsubishi 731/832--the reds and yellows seem to be off on every set I've seen, not a huge difference, but enough to bother me
In other respects, the Mits have an excellent picture, but I have to say that overall I prefer the color and looks of the Sony and Samsung sets. Based on my size desires and the good price I was able to negotiate (only $100 more thant the Sony 60" XBR), I have ordered the Samsung HL-S7178 for delivery on Saturday from BB, along with an extended warranty from them.

I must admit that I'm a bit nervous about this purchase, based on the problems with LE and LE tunnels I've seen on this forum. I know that neither Sony (green blob/tinge) nor Mitsubishi (I presume; I haven't seen many reports of major problems with Mitsubishi sets on this forum) are immune to problems. I certainly don't want to spend money on something that is going to end up being a headache, but the 7178 does have an excellent picture and it fits my size needs for the room. I know that CNET gives a high review of the Mitsubishi sets, but even after fiddling with the color controls at a local Tweeter, I still preferred the color of both Sony and Samsung, and color is a major part of picture preference for me.

Have I made the right decision, or is this just throwing my money away, despite the extended warranty? Does anyone have any thoughts on choices? Is there ANY brand that is DEFINATELY more reliable at this point? Should I forgo my picture preference to get a set with more reliability to avoid future headaches? Is this even POSSIBLE? I know none of you has a crystal ball
, but any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
the sets you listed are about the best 1080p projections available. they're all good. it's really a matter of what looks best to you. only thing you need to be concerned about is whether you or any family members see rainbows on your dlp. if so, exchange and get the sony or check out jvc dila.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was torn between the 70" Samsung 7178w or the Sony 60" 60 A2000 and chose the Sony. I couldn't have been happier as the picture is just amazing. However, I could have easily chosen the Samsung, as that picture looked awesome in the store with the HD loop.

I think you will be happy. Just be prepared to spend countless hours each day in front of the tv.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dparrish /forum/post/0

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement, guys! Anyone out there with thoughts?

Why do you do this to yourself? You did your research, you looked at several displays, and you chose an excellent one that you must have thought looked nice. So why second guess yourself? And if a total stranger says he/she likes a different choice better, are you actually going to return the Samsung? Reliability is going to be very similar with each of them, and you bought an EW anyway to protect you. They are all great sets -- it's just a matter of personal preference, so stop torturing yourself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again everyone for the thoughts. I really do like Samsung (I might like the Sony as well or better if it weren't for the fact that Sony only offers either a 60" or 70", and the difference in price is huge), but this represents a VERY large purchase for me and my family, not one I want to have to repeat for five years at least
. Yes, it is very easy to go round and round, thinking about reliability issues, size, price, picture, etc. As this will be the first non-crt display I have owned, I think I am most worried about the reliability issue, and whether I could have found what I was looking for for less money. Hopefully, Best Buy will be easy to deal with regarding their warranty policy

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:

Thanks again everyone for the thoughts. I really do like Samsung (I might like the Sony as well or better if it weren't for the fact that Sony only offers either a 60" or 70", and the difference in price is huge), but this represents a VERY large purchase for me and my family, not one I want to have to repeat for five years at least
. Yes, it is very easy to go round and round, thinking about reliability issues, size, price, picture, etc. As this will be the first non-crt display I have owned, I think I am most worried about the reliability issue, and whether I could have found what I was looking for for less money. Hopefully, Best Buy will be easy to deal with regarding their warranty policy

I have been studying these sets carefully! If you are inside 10' seating distance the 65" Mitu's seem quite nice on all programming. The 73" Mitsu is unwatchable on SD but very nice on HD. The Sammy 71" you bought I put third and liked it quite well. I think the case on that TV in Piano black is BEAUTIFUL! Better than all the others. The PQ on the Toshiba 72" was next and I really liked it but it seemed to have some reliability issues at least w/ the 195, they say the 196's are VERY GOOD, but they are as costly as the 70" Sony and it has a marginally better PQ with all types of material.

You have picked a GREAT set and if you got a good deal on it just plug in an HD-DVD/BD player and ENJOY IT!!! If the base on that set had been a bit different shape and the IR sensor in a different local I might be getting one of those instead of the Sony!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
James,

Thanks for the comments. I REALLY wanted the Mitsubishi 65831 to be THE set for me--I was able to find it for $600 less than the 7178, and the 65" was fine size-wise, although any smaller wouldn't be ideal. I do think the Mitsubishi probably has slightly better contrast based on what I have seen in the stores, and slightly better detail. However, the color of the Samsung is superior IMO, and is in fact better than any other brand I've seen, including Sony. Outstanding color is what sold me on the Samsung, and the set does contrast and detail almost as well as the others. And you are right, the exterior of the 7178 is beautiful

I am supposed to have the set delivered tomorrow morning--I let you know what I think!

·
Registered
7,233 Posts

Quote:

James,

Thanks for the comments. I REALLY wanted the Mitsubishi 65831 to be THE set for me--I was able to find it for $600 less than the 7178, and the 65" was fine size-wise, although any smaller wouldn't be ideal. I do think the Mitsubishi probably has slightly better contrast based on what I have seen in the stores, and slightly better detail. However, the color of the Samsung is superior IMO, and is in fact better than any other brand I've seen, including Sony. Outstanding color is what sold me on the Samsung, and the set does contrast and detail almost as well as the others. And you are right, the exterior of the 7178 is beautiful

I am supposed to have the set delivered tomorrow morning--I let you know what I think!

You kept coming back full circle to the 7178 and that should tell you something - keep in mind the Samsung is maximized via a Pro ISF Calibration taking it to the next level (which you'll never witness with in-store viewing) unless of course your fully satisfied as is out of the box.

All your prospects are great choices but your eyes kept taking you back to the Samsung 7178 and it's your eyes and budget that counts. My wife will not permit a RPTV in our house due to it's bulkiness but during my viewing the past few years the choices of the brands you listed are really tough unless your susceptiple to RBE but the PQ gap is so close it pretty much comes down to personal preference and and brand QC and support history. The 7178 has become a helluva bargain and 71" will kick some HD Butt matched up to and HD DVD or BluRay.

Happy viewing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.