AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Panasonic XR-55S and a pair of Insignia NS-B2111s. I want to move to surround sound now that I have a living room. I got directv so I have $350 to use at Best Buy, but I wouldn't mind buying elsewhere and saving that money for something else.. I bought a PSW-10 Subwoofer already.

Option 1:

Buy stands for the NS-B2111s, try to pick up two more pairs for center+surrounds.

Option 2:

Polk Monitor 60's for the fronts @ $120/each. Polk CS2 center. Move the NS-B2111's to the surrounds or maybe monitor 30's for the surrounds (99/pair) .

Option 3:

People on this forum tell me what to do for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am willing to spend around $500

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I would go elsewhere for my fronts and move the Insignia back as surrounds. If you have Frys near you, check often with their sale for Infinity Primus 362. A very good entry level speaker if you can buy them on sale half off....and just match it with a PC350 at ebay or amazon.

Polk Monitor are often onsale at newegg. This would be my second choice. Finally, I wish you haven't bought that Polk subwoofer. I would go elsewhere as for subwoofer and spend a little more on them. A good subwoofer goes a VERY LONG WAY for HT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs /forum/post/18309321

I would go elsewhere for my fronts and move the Insignia back as surrounds. If you have Frys near you, check often with their sale for Infinity Primus 362. A very good entry level speaker if you can buy them on sale half off....and just match it with a PC350 at ebay or amazon.

Polk Monitor are often onsale at newegg. This would be my second choice. Finally, I wish you haven't bought that Polk subwoofer. I would go elsewhere as for subwoofer and spend a little more on them. A good subwoofer goes a VERY LONG WAY for HT.

I can still return the subwoofer.... There is a fry's about 3 hours from here too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on the P362's and a PC350 from crutchfield. By the time I pay for gas and tax Fry's just isn't worth it--especially since I have my doubts about them fitting in the car. Any pointers for a sub? I have the PSW10 from polk and can return it. My room is about 15'wx20'd but it does open at the rear toward the kitchen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
While the price differential between frys and online may not be worth it, perhaps making it out to frys just to listen to the primus versus the polk monitors may be worth the time and cost. It would benefit you to know how the speakers sound before you buy a set.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
for subs look into bic, epic, svs, and refurb/open box velodyne(see audioadvisor.com)

in the pricerange infinity and polk are good options.

you may find the avr to be a bit short of expectation, though.

·
Registered
560 Posts
+1 for moving the insignia's to the back for surrounds. I find their mid-range lacking compared to my B&W's, but they are perfect for surrounds.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem is auditioning speakers in Fry's isn't really the same environment as my home. So....crutchfield has the P362's for $199 each...penfed 7% discount and -$20 (code 3A825) it is like $165 /each..which is the same price as fry's sale.

Another option (yes..this does blow the budget a bit). Get the 3.1 package from eD.

a6 6t6 MTM fronts/center

A3 - 300 subwoofer

all for $986...

vs $500 for the infinities and then add a sub to that...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts