AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the Motorola 6412 with Comcast service, I will be picking up an HDTV shortly. In preperation I contacted Comcast to find out what I needed to do for HD programming. The service rep told me there was no additional fee because I already have the DVR service, but that a service call is necessary to change out my box. Looking at the back of the 6412 is has DVI and component connectors, and I can view the HD channels on my SD set. Do they really need to swap my box, and if so what will the next box add?

This is my first post here, this board has been a wealth of information to me in deciding what HDTV to get.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Just had my cable company install a 6412 to replace a partially defective (but viewable) single-tuner 6208 HD DVR. They insisted on a ~$15 install charge even though I could have plugged it in easily.

There may be extra HD tiers you'd have to order, and to see HD premium movies you first have to subscribe to the SD premium movie service. -- John

·
Registered
139 Posts
Aurora,

What the Comcast rep told you is total B.S. If you already have a Motorola 6412 digital box in your house, then all you have to do is simply connect your existing cable line into the 6412 and then use either a component or DVI cable to connect your 6412 to your new HDTV. You'll also have to run a pair of audio cables from the 6412 to your TV.

Once you make all the necessary connections and plug the 6412 to your power outlet, the 6412 should start downloading/updating itself with your new Digital/HD service. If not, you can simply contact Comcast and have them send a signal to your box that will perform the same update.

Unless you are completely uncomfortable with making the above mentioned connections, then you might want to have Comcast come out to your home. However, they may charge you for the service call.

I previously had just the basic Comcast analog service (no converter box.. just plugged the cable directly into my TV). However, I recently purchased a plasma and therefore upgraded to their Digital/HD service (w/ dual tuner DVR). I simply picked up the 6412 from my local Comcast office and plugged it up myself. Extremely simple.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason
There may be extra HD tiers you'd have to order, and to see HD premium movies you first have to subscribe to the SD premium movie service. -- John
Comcast has no HD tiers per se. You already mentioned Premiums, and then, of course, HD Locals are part of Ltd. Basic. Now, HD Cable Channels (ESPN, etc.) are part of Digital Classic, I guess that is what you are refering to. In many areas, the DVRs require a min. of Digital Classic, so he might have one already, if not, he should get one fo more HD. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyPete
Aurora,

What the Comcast rep told you is total B.S. If you already have a Motorola 6412 digital box in your house, then all you have to do is simply connect your existing cable line into the 6412 and then use either a component or DVI cable to connect your 6412 to your new HDTV. You'll also have to run a pair of audio cables from the 6412 to your TV.

Once you make all the necessary connections and plug the 6412 to your power outlet, the 6412 should start downloading/updating itself with your new Digital/HD service. If not, you can simply contact Comcast and have them send a signal to your box that will perform the same update.

Unless you are completely uncomfortable with making the above mentioned connections, then you might want to have Comcast come out to your home. However, they may charge you for the service call.

I previously had just the basic Comcast analog service (no converter box.. just plugged the cable directly into my TV). However, I recently purchased a plasma and therefore upgraded to their Digital/HD service (w/ dual tuner DVR). I simply picked up the 6412 from my local Comcast office and plugged it up myself. Extremely simply.

Good luck!!
I figured as much. Last night I connected the 6412 to my Dell 2405 computer monitor via component cables and set the box to 16:9 & 720P. I flipped to INHD and the picture looked great, so it already works just fine. I got some HCDP error with the DVI connection though.

So, no service call needed. I can't wait to get my new tv!

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaDude
Only good part about the service call is that you get free Component Cables.
Not always, sometimes just Composite, because this DVR is for everyone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the 6412 in my bedroom does not supply an HD signal. I don't care b/c my tv in that room is not HD, but I'm assuming it's defective? Reason I know this is b/c I moved it to my media room to watch a movie on my HDTV that I had recorded, but no HD signal was coming out of the component plugs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Aurora,

The 6412 can be used as either a DVR, HD box or combo box. You will need

Comcast to add the proper codes to your account to view HD programming.

The added cost should be around $5.00 per month.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablerick
Aurora,

But it already outputs HD signals, and the csr told me there would be no price difference because I already have the dvr service.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablerick
Aurora,

Not here, there are no package codes for HD programming, it is just $10 for 'DVR', and they only offer an HD DVR. Heck, people who don't have, nor ask for, HD, get the DVR, and have the HD channels through S-video or Composite letterboxed on their Analog TVs

But, I have heard about some areas, that bill it as an 'HD STB' $5 and 'DVR service' $10. Even in some of those areas, people found that the $5 was not legit, and got it removed.

As I said before, there are no HD tiers, per se. If you get an HD STB or DVR, you will see, that the HD (as well as SD) channels have already been authorized in their respective packages.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraProject
But it already outputs HD signals, and the csr told me there would be no price difference because I already have the dvr service.
Just a theory, but maybe they want to change your box from a DVI output to one with an HDMI output. Since all new HD TV sets have HDMI connectors (unless it is an older model), you will get a better picture. Your cable company may be trying to standardize on HDMI to avoid support issues with different interfaces and to insure that you have the latest HDCP copy protection for "future use".

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint
Just a theory, but maybe they want to change your box from a DVI output to one with an HDMI output. Since all new HD TV sets have HDMI connectors (unless it is an older model), you will get a better picture. Your cable company may be trying to standardize on HDMI to avoid support issues with different interfaces and to insure that you have the latest HDCP copy protection for "future use".

That's a good point that I hadn't thought of. I'll look into that, thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
QZ1,

In our system, DVR and HD/DVR services are sold for the same price which is $24.90. However, there are 2 different package codes used. Also, without the addition of what we call "view codes", the HD channels will display the message

"Not Authorized For Use". We have essentially the same pricing points of $9.95

for DVR, $5.00 for HD which if added ala carte to entry level digital service would

be $29.90, but we offer the service for $24.90.

As far as the HD content showing on analog inputs, yes, I have heard stories of

this happening. I only have access to SA equipment in my center but I will test

this one day next week.

Rick

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint
And 'new' TVs with an HDMI input can easily use a DVR with DVI-HDCP, using an HDMI to DVI cable and Stereo Audio cables (the latter, if not using Digital Audio), and get exactly the same picture quality, at this time. I doubt they are going to replace DVRs with DVI, unless requested.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.