AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my 36" Sony XBR-450 HD ready set a few weeks back. Been loving and enjoying the progressive scan capabilities of it with DVD's, but now getting a greater interest to really make the set shine with 1080i HD. I live in an apartment and currently have Time Warner digital cable.

I'm wondering what may be the easiest / cheapest way of being to watch HD programming that many of the major stations are now offering. Obviously I need a decoder... but which ? What are the differences ? After that, would I be better off getting an antenna so I can get OTA HD, or getting a DirecTV setup for receiving the HD ? If antenna, which ?

I'm not even sure if in my current location I have the capability to get DirecTV, and I'm quite fine with the digital cable setup I have now.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
If you want HD through TW cable you first must see if they even offer it, then you have no choice but to get their HD box to watch HD over their cable system. If you can't get HD over cable you will need a antenna to receive any OTA HD in your area and a HD satellite receiver to get HD over sat from either Dish or DirecTV.

------------------

------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well lets say that I find out I cannot get HD over TW cable, and I decide to with OTA HD, which decoder box and atenna should I look at ? Anything specific I need to worry about with my set (36-XBR450) ? Which decoder boxes and antenna's are good at a reasonable price ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
TWCNYC does offer an HDTV STB. I called and was told that they were waiting for new boxes to be shipped from their vendor. They put me on a waiting list. The number I called is 212 598-7312. There's also a thread on this at http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/016055.html I also have the 36XBR450 and digital cable service. If you come up with a better way of receiving HDTV than waiting for TWC, I'd be interested in hearing it. A roof-top antenna isn't an option in my Manhattan apartment building.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you are going to use your HD tuner to tune your analogue cabel, you will have to buy the Sony STB. If you don't mind switching between an HD tuner for HD channels and you digital cable box for NTSC, you can use and HD tuner. The problem is with aspect ratio adjustment. With the Sony HD box set to variable out, the set will automatically blow up 4/3 NTSC pictures to fill the screen. With other set top boxes you will get your 4/3 picture within a 16/9 window: a box within a box so to speak.

If Time Warner does supply an HD tuner, make sure it can be set up to output NTSC at 480i (without upconverting it) or you will have the same "box within a box" problem that I described above.

Where I live, in Colorado, digital cable does not have HD included. If it does where you live

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.