AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys.

I searched the threads and found Mantronix and buckrogers71's posts so I have an idea on what you all suggest. Thing is I am interested in more details about the in-wall speaker specs themselves mainly specs that I can/should look for when shopping. I am also looking for more explanation on the "boundary compensation" feature that some in-ceilings may have. Here is the predicted setup:

**Defenitve Techonolgy MTS SuperTower Series v. Mirage OminSat v2 towers

1 Center| Mythos Three Center Channel (for tonal equality)

2 Recievers: **Need 5 HDMI ports***

· Onkyo: TXNR 906 7.1

· MarantZ: SR6003

2 Ceiling Directional Speakers (rear surround):

6 In-Wall Speakers: ?????? (music/ambience)

Sub#1: Klipsch Sub-12 SubWoofer (passive and for music)

Sub#2: SVS PC12 Plus Sub (the main woof and for movies)

D-Link DAP 1522 NetWork Bridge (Video & Audio Streaming) it seems to have worked for one fella here

Playstation 3 (for Blu-Ray capabilities honestly)

60 LCD Wall mounted TV: 65 Panasonic Plasma VIERA 65PZ850U TV

My family Room is literally 15 x 15 and the direct seating is ~13' away from the wall where the T.V. will be mounted. Problem is the area then opens to the Kitchen behind the couch and the next wall on one side is a walkway to the bedrooms so not the greatest I am guessing for acoustics. Nonetheless I really have no choice but in-ceilings for the rears ONLY (I've got young kids and rears on stands are out of the question). My home is prewired and the seating is directly under where they have the wires terminate. I am hoping Mr. Turk and Mr. John will have time to chime in on this but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all in advance.

· Registered
2,653 Posts
Surround speakers aren't nearly as critical as your front sound stage. There just isn't as much information going into the surround channels and what is, is usually more effects as opposed to dialog or main content.

So, rather than over analize it, I would look for ceiling mounted speakers that were in their own enclosures (if nothing else than for safety of keeping insulation, dirt and any other debris away from the back of the speakers) I would also "try" to see if you could find similar driver material. IOW, if your front sound stage has a titanium dome tweeter, then try to find an in ceiling with a titanium dome tweeter and the same with the midbass drivers if possible. Even going this far is questionable with surround speakers. But if you can, then I'd go ahead.

But, that's about as far as I'd go in worrying all that much about in ceiling surrounds. If they are good quality components, most any brand will sound fine in that application.

· Registered
503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta09 /forum/post/16849835

Hey Guys.

I searched the threads and found Mantronix and buckrogers71's posts so I have an idea on what you all suggest. Thing is I am interested in more details about the in-wall speaker specs themselves mainly specs that I can/should look for when shopping. I am also looking for more explanation on the "boundary compensation" feature that some in-ceilings may have. Here is the predicted setup:

**Defenitve Techonolgy MTS SuperTower Series v. Mirage OminSat v2 towers

1 Center| Mythos Three Center Channel (for tonal equality)

2 Recievers: **Need 5 HDMI ports***

· Onkyo: TXNR 906 7.1

· MarantZ: SR6003

2 Ceiling Directional Speakers (rear surround):

6 In-Wall Speakers: ?????? (music/ambience)

Sub#1: Klipsch Sub-12 SubWoofer (passive and for music)

Sub#2: SVS PC12 Plus Sub (the main woof and for movies)

D-Link DAP 1522 NetWork Bridge (Video & Audio Streaming) it seems to have worked for one fella here

Playstation 3 (for Blu-Ray capabilities honestly)

60 LCD Wall mounted TV: 65 Panasonic Plasma VIERA 65PZ850U TV

My family Room is literally 15 x 15 and the direct seating is ~13' away from the wall where the T.V. will be mounted. Problem is the area then opens to the Kitchen behind the couch and the next wall on one side is a walkway to the bedrooms so not the greatest I am guessing for acoustics. Nonetheless I really have no choice but in-ceilings for the rears ONLY (I've got young kids and rears on stands are out of the question). My home is prewired and the seating is directly under where they have the wires terminate. I am hoping Mr. Turk and Mr. John will have time to chime in on this but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all in advance.

I had a similar problem in making my system a 7.2. I mounted speakers on the small back wall that opens to my kitchen and used the rocketfish system from best buys to power them...works great...never interference

just a thought

· Registered
1,114 Posts
Im poor, so I put some monoprice in cielings right above my couch as rears. That was the only place i could mount them. Not optimum, but honestly, it sounds great and im super happy with them.

Sometimes you just have to mkae the best out of something that isntperfect.

But they are really used so little compared to the L/C/R that its not a big deal.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm....Thanks for the replies.

Well tell me this then. Is is true that for the surrounds you want a wide dispersion area?

I had also read that you want to look for in-ceiling speakers with really small tweeters....true?

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those UIW RCSII/IIIs and RSS are NUTS arent they!!!!

Knowing me I'll install those up there and then 22lbs will come crashing on my head!!!

Still I was looking more for a smaller footprint and per quadriverfalls suggestion if the surrounds aren't that important anyway then I'll pick up the smaller speakers for a smaller price (AIM WIDE Threes are $279/per right now on Amazon).

I am LEANING towards the Def Techs but haven't done the sound test yet. The Mirages are still in the mix and regardless I am not partial to Def Techs I have just heard (online) so much about them and from friends that I was figuring it wouldn't be a bad starting point for the first HT from scratch.

I don't know anything about ORbs but please send me a link.

· Registered
256 Posts
Yea, I have the RSS III's and it comes with instructions to ceiling mount but they do ask that it be framed on the sides so that you can screw the box directly into the studs. Mine are on the wall so no framing was needed. If you could get it next to a stud on atleast 1 side that would probably be sufficient just for peace of mind. The 3's arent that heavy and they don't have that big of a footprint!

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I've done it.

The process is started. I got the Mythos ST's (went big) and I agree they are nice. Wound up getting them and the M10 center. So. still wondering about in-ceilings.

Read a FANTASTIC article here and am now considering Dipole speakers I suppose to create a diffuse, directionless sound. Am I thinking about this correctly. IF my surrounds are not to be distinguished from the fronts and just provide supportive but immersible experience. Should I go with Dipoles? The speakers will be 30 degrees or so behind and naturally above the listener. AGAIN I know In-ceiling is not the best option AT ALL but like the original post states. Got no choice.

Please chime in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.