AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I borrowed a projecter from work as I fried my convergence board of my Toshiba 50H81... It's been 5 weeks now and still no word from my "repair man".

Anyway... Hooked up the projector (LCD) to the HTPC and have a few questions. The projector has a 16:9 mode-- how should I use that? If I set my desktop resolution to 1920 X 1080, I assume I should set the projector to match that aspect ratio. This crops my desktop, but DVDs look ok.

Question is, I thought that watching DVDs was best in a resolution like 720 X 480, or 1440 X 480, etc... What mode should the projector be for a resolution like that? 16:9 still? I guess i may need a better explaination as to why we run DVDs in 720 X 480, 1440 X 480, etc...

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
In general feed the projector the native rate of the projectors panel and let the PC do the scaling...

You dont say what the projectors native panel is (not the max it can take) but I am guessing XGA or SVGA ?? Feed it that over RGB...

If you want 16:9 on the same machine then set up a custom 16:9 timing and resolution with PowerStrip.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Output XGA tothe projector (RGBHV cable or DVI)...

If using a 16x9 screen you only actually use 1024x576 pixels (the 16:9 portion of a XGA panel)... Using powerstrip you can adjust the active pixel array down and at the same time increase the 'porches' to keep the signal a XGA timing... This way windows only uses 1024x576 and outputs blank info for the unused part of the timing and you have no overshoot... Plus you can adjust front and back porches to move the image up and down for perfect placement on your screen...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to close the loop on this (to make it easier for others), I was able to accomplish a 1024X576 resolution for my Proxima UL X350 based on phatphreddy's suggestions. The timings I used in Powerstip were:

1024: Refresh Rate: 48, FP: 24, SW: 96, BP: 160

576 : Refresh Rate: 60, FP: 96, SW: 3, BP: 125

What I now realize now though is that this resolution is really only necessary if you have a screen that is 16:9 in dimension. Since I was just borrowing this projector, I was broadcasting on a white wall so I have no real need for this resolution. (I'm assuming.) There was no apparent difference in PQ in either res (which would make sense as the timings were set to XGA).

Did I get this right?

I guess the only thing I still don't understand is why projectors have a 16:9 mode on them. What is it's purpose and what does it do? Since the custom timing above kept XGA timings, so i was able to leave it in 4:3 mode (as I should because that was native.) Just wondering what the 16:9 option is for then...

Thanks for all your help Phat Phreddy!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I don't understand why you did all of this. If you set the resolution of the PC to output 1024 X 768 @72hz and watch a dvd, then depending on your software DVD player make sure you get the proper aspect ratio and let the video card do the scaling. No need to use powerstrip (I have been doing this with the X350 for 2 years in my game room).

You did not tell us what video card (or chip in laptop's case) was to give you more help (you may want to make sure that in the video cards properties you specify that the video card does the scaling, not the monitor).

The reason for the 16:9 mode is for your screen. Some people have only a 16:9 screen where everything has to fit in that dimension. So any input will stay in the screen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm using the GeForce 440 MX. I was wondering if there was a setting to ensure the scaling was happening at the card... Do you know where to look for this setting on the GeForce?

I acutually have Win DVD 4 as well as Theater Tek. I'm assuming the AR is set corretly without me doing anything more... Should I be doing something differently?

I think Phat Phreddy's suggestion for using 1024 X 576 resolution was only to be able to project onto a 16:9 screen. Anything outside the scope of 16:9 is black thanks to the resolution settings (even the windows desktop fits nicely.) You're right though, I don't really need this res as I'm not projecting onto such a screen.

Any tips on the above questions appreciated!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
There should be no difference in the quality of the output (scaling) but there is one hell of a difference in the look and integration...

When you have a 16:9 screen if you run in 4:3 rez's (without zooming) you end up with image overspill for the windows desktop and taskbar that looks quite frankly ugly and very unprofessional... Setting the image to be correctly placed on the screen and framed properly simply helps the ease of use and perception of all fitting smoothly...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.