AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently got the OK to setup a dedicated home theater room. Before that my regular home stereo consist of 2 polk Monitor 65T up front, a cs20 center, and polk r150's for surround. My current receiver is a Yamaha rx-v673. But I would be getting another one as that receiver is staying with my Kef 3005's

Rooms about 18'x 22' with 10' ceilings and is relativity rectangular. My budget has yet to be determined ,Ideally $1500 on 5 speakers? I could spend more if needed. I also like finding deals so if people had suggestions on speaks that might be a bit more expensive something like 500 each that I could potentially find second hand and get a good deal on.. that would be my real end game.

To start out I figured to just find two Good front speakers to start out the set. I don't need everything all at once, hopping to get decent stuff and build it over time.

I am by no means an audiophile, but I have been getting more into home audio and feel my polks sound just...ok and want something a bit more. Also speaker Size doesn't matter.

Just for fun I checkout craigslist and found some real good deals.

Two Def Tec BP7006 for $400 bucks ,also found Two Klipsch Rb-81 ii at $300.

Would either of those be a good start, or any suggestions for other brands?

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Don't forget the ".1" in "5.1".

Budget for a subwoofer is what I'm trying to say.....

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Good choices, except the DT - ditch that one.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
My advice would be to look at reviews in Home Theater, Stereophile, and some of the other magazines to see some opinions.

The information there isn't the last word, but if the speaker has some good and not so good characteristics you may get some clues.

In general, some of the brands of speakers that get the best reviews and have been above average in performance over the years have been KEF, Wharfedale, PSB, Gallo, Monitor Audio, and Thiel.

You will have a hard time going wrong with those speaker lines.

When buying a subwoofer, be sure to get a 12-inch sub with at least 300 watts of RMS power (not peak power, not music power, not shmooze power....RMS power).

If they don't give an RMS power spec they are probably selling junk.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Outlaw is another great sub to look into. I went from Polks to a horn loaded speaker and found that it causes ear fatigue. At first I was very impressed with the highs and how clear it sounded. Now it's overwhelming, I'm looking to get something else.

*LFM-1EX or LFM-1plus

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I would be looking at Klipsch Reference speakers. They really are breathtaking in how detailed they are. Also, two RW-12d's will give you much smoother output than a single more powerful sub. I personally have Klipsch RF-82 towers, RC-62 center, and RS-62 surrounds. I have dual RW-12d's for subs.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1468002/have-some-inexpensive-po...xt-speaker-set-def-tecs-klipsch#post_23204961

Why not just upgrade to polk rti-a7 or 9's? Horns don not sound nearlly as good as polks tweeter and midrange imo.

That's the upgrade path if he wants to stay with Polk but as far as the sound of the horns, that's your opinion.

·
Registered
756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush  /t/1468002/have-some-inexpensive-po...xt-speaker-set-def-tecs-klipsch#post_23205020

I like my small kefs. What are good towers from KEF?

Q500, Q700, and Q900. All are very good, but in a compromise between sound quality an price I'd go for the Q700's. These can be bought from Accessories4less .

Two Q700's, two Q300's, and a Q600c will give you an awesome system. But, this will be over your budget at around $1900. You can always go for either the Q500's over the Q700's, or go for the Q100's over the Q300's.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid  /t/1468002/have-some-inexpensive-po...xt-speaker-set-def-tecs-klipsch#post_23205050

Q500, Q700, and Q900. All are very good, but in a compromise between sound quality an price I'd go for the Q700's. These can be bought from Accessories4less .

Two Q700's, two Q300's, and a Q600c will give you an awesome system. But, this will be over your budget at around $1900. You can always go for either the Q500's over the Q700's, or go for the Q100's over the Q300's.

I will check them out. Hopefully I can extend the budget a bit more. Can I power them without a seperate amp ?

·
Registered
14,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316  /t/1468002/have-some-inexpensive-po...xt-speaker-set-def-tecs-klipsch#post_23205009

That's the upgrade path if he wants to stay with Polk but as far as the sound of the horns, that's your opinion.

damn right and I am sticking to it!

·
Registered
756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush  /t/1468002/have-some-inexpensive-po...xt-speaker-set-def-tecs-klipsch#post_23205731

I will check them out. Hopefully I can extend the budget a bit more. Can I power them without a seperate amp ?

You can use a receiver to power these easily. If you're searching for a new receiver try to find one that states it's 4 ohm capable. I've read in a few places that these Kef's may actually be "4 ohm" speakers. Most any receiver should be able to handle the 4 ohm load, but since you're buying a new receiver, might as well look for one that states it.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
You could get 4 of the Polk RTi A1 speakers for $700; those are very good speakers, which go down to around 50 Hz, and that would be a good way to go.

Add the matching CSi A4 for another $250, and the Klipsch RW12-D subwoofer for around $400, and you will have a very nice system for a total of $1350.

IMO the Harman-Kardon 1650 receiver is the best-sounding receiver you can get for a relatively low price. Good stuff. I would pick it over any Yamaha.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid  /t/1468002/have-some-inexpensive-po...xt-speaker-set-def-tecs-klipsch#post_23205050

Finally had a chance to hear these, they only had the q500's and something was wrong with the receiver as the left channel wasn't playing a full range. I thought they sounded detailed and pretty bright.

Would I really be missing out if I went with 2x q500 2x q300 and a q200c center, or should I save up for the 700's and 600s

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.