AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some years ago, I bought the HSU TN1225HO subwoofer with their amp.

Have subwoofers improved significantly since this product was considered a good price/performance unit? I am wondering how much of an improvement I could expect by upgrading to a Hsu VTF-2 or SVS PCi. Would it represent a dramatic improvement, or would the difference be more subtle? I do not play at loud volumes.

·
Registered
801 Posts
VTF2 would be a down grade IMO. Base CS or PCi SVS vs the TN series would be close. As I've stated before I would buy the SVS. But if I owned the TN I'd leave alone. The difference wouldn't be worth the upgrade cost to me.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
You don't even have to buy a whole sub from Hsu to get the benefit of the latest version. You can buy the latest replacement drvier from him for a fraction the cost of the sub.

Depending on which amp you got from him, a newer one might benefit you more than a new sub or driver.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
Some years ago, I bought the HSU TN1225HO subwoofer with their amp.

Have subwoofers improved significantly since this product was considered a good price/performance unit? I am wondering how much of an improvement I could expect by upgrading to a Hsu VTF-2 or SVS PCi. Would it represent a dramatic improvement, or would the difference be more subtle? I do not play at loud volumes.
I believe that driver improvements have occurred steadily.

You do state however that you do not listen at high volumes, and it appears that the improved drivers are mostly capable of longer excursions and therefore higher SPL, less frequent bottoming and possibly lower distortion at high levels. So, in your case, the improvement might not be noticeable.

Also the two subs you are comparing (TN1225HO & VTF-2) are different animals.

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Thread cleaned from rude remarks. Please Keep this on the side of helping please.

·
Banned
806 Posts
bfdtv, the TN1220HO and VTF-3 will offer some added extension over the TN1225HO. If you want a good, honest answer about what you should do, don't hesitate to call up Hsu

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.