AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

I somehow got myself into assembling and installing a sound system at work. I've played around with my A/V stuff at home, but that is the extent of my expertise.

We have a drop ceiling with 2x2 tiles. By some miracle I stumbled upon these and got them on sale for $19/pair. I also managed to pick up 500ft of CL3R 14/2 for $29.90 from frys, but after reading a little I am beginning to think I need CL3P.

The speakers have built-in transformers, so I am going to go the 70v route. I would like stereo, if possible (I bought the speakers thinking they were EA, not pairs, so I have a lot of speakers!). I need to hook up 6 speakers in 1 room, 4 in another, and 2 in another. Volume controls would be nice.

I guess I need to purchase a 70v receiver/amp or just an amp- can anyone recommend a good one? I have a really tight budget, so something I can find on ebay would be nice.

Any feedback y'all could provide would be appreciated. Since it's a business, I need to make sure everything is "safe", but I don't even know where to look for building code stuff (Round Rock, TX). Thanks

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
If you want to make sure that everything is safe, increase your budget and hire a commercial AV installer with insurance.

He'll know if the space above the drop ceiling is plenum or not, by looking. And, he'll be familiar with the local codes.

Maybe you can hire a pro as a consultant, paid by the hour, to help you design the system. Might take a lot of phone calls to find one willing to do this.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/19507793

If you want to make sure that everything is safe, increase your budget and hire a commercial AV installer with insurance.

wish I could. It's not my budget.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Some PA type stereo amps have a 70.7V output. You might look for one of those. If not, you can use a standard stereo amp with two 8 ohm-70V transformers.

For volume control you could use one of these .

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
If this is commercial space with a drop ceiling, chances are very high that it is plenum space. You will need to look to make sure, but I can practically guarantee it. You will need plenum wire.

I second the suggestion that you need a professional. It also sounds like what is being asked of you is not in any way reasonable given the paltry amount of money it sounds like they're willing to spend. You should tell your employer this and decline the project yourself.

What you are doing may also be illegal depending on where you are and the local electrical codes and licensing requirements regarding low-voltage work, which are also usually particularly strict in commercial spaces.

If you don't even know where to begin LOOKING at electrical and building codes...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Don't bother with stereo, there is no advantage, it will just add cost.

Multiple speakers in the same space will be a plus. Your speakers should have a coverage pattern chart included. Compare them to some common models of JBL commercial speakers, and you can use their free calculator to help you lay them out.

Audioplex has a couple of very good tutorials to get you familiar with the mechanics of 70v systems.

Good luck, yes there is much more stringent oversight in commercial spaces. You will also want to be familiar with the requirements for ASCAP & BMI submittals for your application. Or you may want to consider a commercial satellite radio subscription, instead of dealing with the royalty submittals, but then you need an antenna...

jcmitch

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/suppor...=209&doctype=3

http://www.audioplex.com/product25volt.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts