AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use surrounds that differ from their cc and mains?

Do you really need to have them all match?

Can't some surrounds work better in your room. ie space/spread sound better then others?

·
Registered
41 Posts
It would be much more important if you listen to music the majority of the time. With movies its not as important. Of course it would be optimal if they were all voice matched but its more important that at least the front three channels match.

·
Registered
757 Posts
i have to disagree. i think it is more important for movies, if not equally important overall to have a matching system. speaker manufacturers will recommend a matching system.

if you are given the opportunity to match your system, do it. i wouldn't lose sleep over the rear speakers. i would at least make sure that your soundstage matches.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I have the venerable Hales as the L/R main, and the Axioms as the center channel and surrounds. In this particular combination, the timbre match was surprisingly good, and I am very happy with the current setting. The Axiom QS8 surround features a unique "quadpolar" wall-mount design, with two tweeters firing 45-degree sideways and two woofers firing upward and downward. The sound is neither too focused/directed nor too diffuse.

I am sure many people have constructed a successful mix-brand surround setup, but to be honest I was worried about mixing-matching, too!

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Axiom surrounds really have my curiosity aroused. But generally speaking, do you get that much better of an "effect" by using surrounds like these or dipoles/bipoles vs direct sound surrounds for HT? Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
482 Posts
OK, I can speak from experience here, I have cheapo deapo KLH speakers as my center channel and rear, and they aren't all the same model either, and my 'mains' L and R are Aiwa speakers that are fairly decent. Now that you know I have the best system money can buy, let me tell you in movies it is annoying as Hell when a plane pans from front to rear and the bass dissapears and the midrange starts to get really loud... something in your head just goes WTF???

When surround music is being played, its not near as bad, because you're not panning music all over the room like in a HT movie.

My gut instinct tells me that if you say, mixed Axiom speakers and Ascends it probably wouldn't give you that 'makes me sick' feeling I get when those planes and cars pan around the room because they are both high end and reach for a flat response. They have what I call 'real' tweeters.

Sheesh man, now that I've said it outloud I realize I REALLY need to upgrade my speaker system... Even if I had the same model $40/pair KLH's all around it would be better. LOL, pitty me guys, pitty me. ;)

Dreamaster

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
The Axiom surrounds really have my curiosity aroused. But generally speaking, do you get that much better of an "effect" by using surrounds like these or dipoles/bipoles vs direct sound surrounds for HT? Thanks.
It is rather hard to explain, but in a nutshell, you will get an effect in-between that by a dipole and by a direct, if you know what I mean. I would say it is a nice compromise between an enveloping diffuse ambience effect by dipoles and a more localizable imaging from direct surrounds. Is it "better" for you? -- Only you can judge.

·
Registered
757 Posts
do you match your socks? seriously, i knew someone from school that never wore a matching pair because that's what he wanted to do. life is short, do what you want to do. i prefer matching socks. ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Also from experience, I can say that with my first surround setup I did not match the speaker make or driver component and I'll never do that again.

My second and current setup is all one manuf. and all of the drivers match. I have found that the difference is night/day, timbre matching is very important. I had noticed that with the original system that when effects would pan L to C to R there was a huge difference in the sound quality and now with the new system that same type of transition is transparent and awesome to hear. good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for all the advice.

I think I've narrowed it down to the following:

JBL S38II for front l/r and surrounds

JBL S-CenterII for center

SVS ???? for Sub

Denon AVR-2803 or Yamaha RX-V1300 for receiver

Or

Axiom Mt3i for front l/r

Axiom VP100 for center

Axiom QS8 for surrounds

SVS ???? for Sub

Same receivers

Room size will be about 14 X 22 with 8ft suspended ceiling. And if I understand this correctly, as long as I get a really good sub there isn't any need to have floorstanding speakers? Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
As for the Axiom combo, if you desire an "accurate" and "neutral" sound more than a "mellow" or "relaxed" listening, I would swap the M3 with the M22 for a little more money. Most Axiom fans seem to agree that the M22 is one of their very best models. In comparison, the M3 has a slightly recessed mid range, providing a bit more relaxed, laid-back impressions. Also, the M22 can play louder, considering the size of the room. It is your personal call.

I would also consider the Hsu subwoofers.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I would say Axioms over JBLs just based on what I've read all over the net. I am totally unimpressed by JBLs.

I would say Hsu over SVS unless you want to rattle stuff, in which case its SVS over Hsu.

As for the big question above, I'm not sure how important the matching is so long as you are in the universe of close (like the Ascends/Axioms example above). I have NHTs that are "mismatched" but I did that after talking with an NHT engineer who taught me that there is "ideal" and there is "more than good enough."

mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.