AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to upgrade speakers soon because, as a friends toddler demonstrated, my current speakers are very easy to knock over. I'm expecting my first child in a few months and my wife understandable wants my speakers gone before the kid starts crawling.

Now to the question, I have heard Paradigm, Energy, and Totem and wanted to know if any of them would have what would be considered a similar sound to Axiom or Rockets? I listened to Paradigm Monitor 11 v2, Energy C-5, Totem Arro, and plan on listening to some Paradigm Studio 60 v3 over the weekend. I can get the Paradigm Studio 60 v3 used for $1100 and the Totem Arro for around $900 on clearance and is about the price range I'd like to stick in.

Do any of the ID brands have a similar sound to either the Paradigm, Energy or Totem?

I'm assuming that the Paradigm Monitor 11 and the Studio 60s will have a similar sound is this true?

From what I have listened to so far, I really liked the Totems. They didn't have the bass that the Paradigm or Energy had but, seemed clearer and more defined. I liked the sound of the Paradigm and Energy as well but I would like to look at some ID brands as well but don't want to waste my time or shipping if they have a vastly different sound.

I'll be using a Sony STRDA3000ES.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I guess I would say that Axioms sound similar to Paradigm, Energy just a little less on top...

now that was a huge generalization across lines, so don't jump all over me!

How they sound in your room vs the show room will be very different, and you can get "used" to different speaker voices so other ones can sound worse to you....so it is kinda a crap shoot.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
You HAVE TO audition , comparatively, yourself.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Sm
You HAVE TO audition , comparatively, yourself.
Well, if I really liked Paradigm and disliked B&W and several people had the opinion that a certain internet direct speakers sounded very similar to the B&W then I could probably not waste my time and money ordering it to demo. In an ideal world I could go to a local shop and listen to every speaker made and compare them but since this is not the case, I don't see the problem in gathering some information on if some ID speakers sound similar to some speakers I have heard. Some people like Klipsch some people dislike Klipsch, like or dislike most people would be able to say if another brand of speaker sounded similar or reminded them of Klipsch and that is the kind of information I was looking for.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Quote:
and several people had the opinion that a certain internet direct speakers sounded very similar to the B&W then I could probably not waste my time and money ordering it to demo.
They 're opinion of the sound and yours can be worlds apart...How big a frame of referance do you have? That is to say how many differant brands and models have you comparatively demoed to establish some general rules of thumb BEYOND what has been parrotted about.between others?

Quote:
Hey everybody,

Swan speakers are supposed to be comparable to B&W speakers for about half the price... I just pieced and ordered a 7.1 system minus the sub:
I like Jon Lane and these speakers, but I did not find this to be at all the case, YMMV, and it likely will from most peoples.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaaty
I guess I would say that Axioms sound similar to Paradigm, Energy just a little less on top...

now that was a huge generalization across lines, so don't jump all over me!

How they sound in your room vs the show room will be very different, and you can get "used" to different speaker voices so other ones can sound worse to you....so it is kinda a crap shoot.
Thanks for the information ptaaty :) I was able to go listen to the used Paradigm Studio 60v3 tonight and really liked them. I thought they were much better than the Monitor 11 and Energy C-5 speakers that I had listened to earlier in the day. That said, even used they cost several $100 more. I might look into ordering some Axioms and give them a try and hope they give me the similar feeling.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice Jake SM. Several of the ID speakers look really nice but maybe narrowing down the list will not be as easy as I thought it would be. Maybe I'll look into ordering some Axioms and some Rockets to demo or try to find someone that would let me listen to theirs and make the 4 hour drive.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
sprtfan,

just remember to have another comporable brand/model to switch between so as to have a referance.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtfan
I can get the Paradigm Studio 60 v3 used for $1100 and the Totem Arro for around $900 on clearance and is about the price range I'd like to stick in.
Assuming the Studio 60 is in great condition, that's a really good price.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Studio 60v3 is in new condition and is 8 months old. A local dealer has an option to upgrade with in the year to a higher speaker and that was what the previous owner did. So, even though it is used, I'd be buying it from a local dealer and would be covered by warrenty. I was surprized at how much more I like the Studio 60 than the other speakers I had heard and might just go ahead and buy it even though it is much more than what I had wanted to spend.

I have a friend that owns some Monitor 11 v2 that was with me when I listened to the the Studio 60v3. He liked them some much he wants to go buy them as well. I could then buy his used Monitor 11 speakers from him but am having a hard time finding out what would be a fair price. The Monitors are in good condition and are 3-4 years old. Does anyone have an idea what these would be worth? I looked on ebay and on audiogon and couldn't find any information on any Monitor 11 speakers.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Question: What are you current speakers? ARe you sure they won't be as easy to flip as say digms studio60s? On the thread about Axiom which got locked 1 or 2 days ago, most people preferred Ascend 170s to Axiom m22ti, or preferred again Ascend 340s or Rocket 550s to Axiom's m60.

As a Totem owner (have Sttafs, owned Arros for 2 years), I chose the Arros over the Paradigms studio 100 v2 eventhough both were the same price and the digms were highly discounted... The Axioms supposedly have a hotter trebble than the Paradigms, but the Axioms are cheaper, and overall supposedly little lower quality..

The Ascends 340s are supposed to be very nice sounding, and Rocket 550 also have a neutral sound, and as I was saying, both seemed to outshine the Axioms at the GTG... I personaly would lean towards Ascend 340s and then Rocket before Axiom.

To me, the Totems sounded more natural than Paradigms, and I'm fairly confident that Ascend would provide a more akin sound than Paradigm/Axiom.. And also the Rocket 550s @ 700 seem like a good deal.

The Totem Arros are considered laid back, something I've never heard anyone describe Axiom as, Axiom might even be a little in the opposite, as people sensible to brightness rarely seem to like them.. Ascend also uses soft dome tweeters, same type of tweeter that Arros (vs metal for Axiom & Paradigm), so that might put them closer to the type of sound you like and are looking for...

Anyhow, only way to know is to listen for yourself :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.