AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that I and many others have had problems with their 5xxx units, I am curious about all the people who haven't had any issues. By reading the forum, it seems like there are lots of problems, but I assume that's because people with no problems, don't post.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by binary-g
It seems that I and many others have had problems with their 5xxx units, I am curious about all the people who haven't had any issues. By reading the forum, it seems like there are lots of problems, but I assume that's because people with no problems, don't post.

Your poll seems to make a quantum leap from "Minor problem fixed with help of forum" to having to have the unit replaced. You've probably missed out on the majority of problems which consisted of, yes it broke, no the forum couldn't help me and i had to take some measure more drastic, yet short of replacing the unit.

I personally have had LOTS of problems with my RTV's, from a functionality standpoint they weren't minor, but I didn't have to go so far as to replace the unit... yet.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good point, but the "minor issues" was meant to suggest that the unit was fixable at home and didn't require replacement. Perhaps I should have written it as "fixed it yourself" vs. "returned for replacement".

Oh well... next time.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I have two 5040's . I had only one minor issue. And Mike helped me fix that with a one time simple reboot. So I will have to vote: Nope. Mine works great!!!!. My units does everything it was made to do. And it does it the way I like it. I'm a 100% happy owner. I maybe a 100% unhappy owner after or around 04/15/2003 :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
I purchased a 5080 in December. That one was very slow to respond to the remote control and I returned it within the first 30 days.

My second 5080 was working wonderfully, until Wednesday of this week. As of Wednesday it will not boot completely -- it constantly boots to the menu, then begins rebooting again. Sounds like the symptom of a hard drive error. I could reimage the drive, but will instead call SonicBlue and RMA it early next week.

Hopefully I'll have better luck with the replacement unit. I'm 0-2.

Kenny

·
Registered
54 Posts
You miss the most important category:

Defective unit but they refuse to issue an RMA!!!

My unit has the unbearable slowness problem, 8 seconds minimum to change channels with a direct analaog cable feed (no IR blaster).

The first CS rep said I need to do a cold boot and the problem may go away, if not I will get an RMA. Problem remained.

Second rep said need to do a 382 zones which should get rid of the problem, if not RMA. Problem remained, all shows lost due to 382 zones.

The third rep (and her supervisor) said that I was out of luck that they will not issue an RMA since there is a known but mysterious bug that only affects some 5K series models (and they are not sure why) but that an upcoming software release will fix the bug!!

How can a software fix correct a bug that they aren't sure of? Note that the previous calls had indicated that only the IR blaster slowness would be helped in the next software release.

So, here I am an acknowledged defective unit, no RMA and I continue to be billed the complete monthly fee. Does not sound right to me.

ReplayLyndon can you help? I know that others have received RMA units for this same problem. My unit was ordered direct from Sonic Blue in December and received the last week of January.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.