AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been selling the Philips 64PP9751. It is unlike anything else out there as far as I am concerned. It has 9" CRT's and has 1920 X 1080 Resolution. They claim it will do 1080P! I don't know of any other set that will do that. It has been discontinued by Philips since it was not a big seller at $8,000.00. The general public does not know what 9" crt's mean, or 1920 X 1080 Resolution. It weighs in at 335 lbs! At $4,000.00 its an absolute steal IMO. I don't recall ever seeing a RPTV with 9" crt's and this high of resolution. Has 2 sets of component inputs, side jacks and VGA & SVGA inputs. Three SVHS inputs, 550 foot lamberts Peak Brightness. Also comes with a Pronto Neo and 1 year in home parts & labor warranty. Anything else out there in a RPTV that comes close to this?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The Mitsubishi WS-73909 73" RPTV has 9" tubes. Whether or not it will take 1080p is something I don't know. It's certainly not listed in the specs, but you can't always go by that.

--Jerome

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerome: The problem with that is, its a Mitsubishi. Due to the numerous problems with those, I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. Just look at other threads here on this forum such as Mits nightmares. Also, check the archives here on RPTV's. The Mits is a nightmare! In addition to that, they provide no parts once the set reaches the ripe ol' age of seven! Check the other posts on this forum about Mits RPTV problems. Too numerous to mention. The other problems I've encountered hooking up Mits RPTV's is the component hookups. The input designated as DTV accepts 1080i. The other 2 inputs called Component 1 & Component 2 accept only 480 or 720P. Too limited for my taste. I'd much rather go with the Philips. Better picture, better parts support, less problems. Lets face it, most end users buy Mits for 2 reasons (the same reason they think Bose is good). 1. They heard it from other dumb end users. 2. they got a years' free interest. Isn't that a hell of a reason to buy a TV?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Summed up views on Philips' 9-in.-CRT sets in a 12/03/01 post , including resolution claims. Hadn't seen that 1080p claim; might be the case, but don't think 1080p applies to my somewhat higher-end (more bells and whistles), earlier model, the 9905. -- John

·
Registered
912 Posts
1080p would be incredible. I still get blown away by 480p!

·
Registered
912 Posts
By the way, where do you work that you can offer these RPTVs for $4K each? That does seem to be a steal. Frustrating though, none of these companies offer that much in customer support before you buy. I researched Phillips before I bought my Pioneer and I was disappointed at the lack of information out there.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I really doubt Mr. Hookup's post was a sales pitch considering he mentioned $4k, a rather poor price. If it was a sales pitch, he'd probably do it on a product that he has a good price on, instead of something almost $1000 over market.

Brand New 64PP9751 for $3102 plus just $69.95 shipping

Brand New 64PP9751 for $3102 plus $286.02 shipping

Brand New 64PP9751 for $3140 plus $350 shipping

From what I hear, it's an awesome RPTV though.

Here are the data sheets from Philips:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/mprdata/0...220063_pss.pdf

http://www.p4c.philips.com/mprdata/0...120006_dfu.pdf

·
Registered
40 Posts
No doubt. VERY smmoooth sales pitch. Maybe this thread should have been posted under classifieds, perhaps?

By the way, I just visited Phillips's website @ phillipsusa.com and apparently, they not only discontinued these "great" tv's, they now dont appear to offer anything bigger than a 60" and now are only going with 7"crts. I must admit, I've not seen anyone claim to be broadcasting in 1080p, just 1080i. Can this TV convert my broadcaster's signal?

I dont mean to flame but your original post makes me question whether any of this can be true, as I also am finding this TV still for sale on reputable net sites at no more than 4k.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No one transmits 1080p. It is not technically possible at this time to fit that in the 19.34 Mb/s transport stream.

Philips has indeed discontinued the 9" CRT sets and the 9751 can be had for an extreme bargain. At less than half it's original MSRP ,in the low $3k range as posted above. Or even less if you're fortunate enough to have access to the philipsemployeestore.com :)

·
Registered
853 Posts
:eek: Why would you be concerned about 1080P when certainly the lenticular screen will inhibit the revelation of most information in excess of 400 horizontal lines, and quite possibly the bandwidth of the chassis will have problems with 1080P vertical?

Plus, as pointed out, where will you find a source, without DVI input, at that resolution?

They didn't sell for a reason, and though Mitsubishi is plagued with trials and tribulations inherent to themselves, Phillips doesn't present the perfect business model when it comes to long term parts availability

(btw:7 years is the US legal limit as a minimum to supply parts).

Just my 2 cents worth!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gentlemen: This thread was not posted as a sales pitch. I did not offer to sell them here. I found out about this set at Cedia recently. I was amazed at the fact that it had 9" crt's. The resolution that Philips was claiming on this set seemed incredible. A year ago this set was going for $8K. Up until a month ago, dealer cost was over 5100. I just happened to buy a truck load of them at what I considered to be a great price. The only website I saw them on was something called www.electrified.com. They want $6100 for them (not including shipping). Now, having sold some of them and hooked them up for customers, everyone is amazed by the picture quality. Lets put it this way, its the best picture I have ever seen on a RPTV. Bar none. One of my customers bought this and sold his Pioneer Elite that he paid $6500 for. He said this blows away his Elite. He was so anxious to get it, he sold his Elite to another customer of mine for $1000.00! Its a shame that Philips discontinued it and won't produce anymore RPTV's with 9" crts. What are they thinking? Lets petition them to resurrect this set!

·
Registered
22 Posts
:eek: I thought I researched my Mits pretty well, and I was, I guess, even less intelligent than those "dumb enders" because I paid cash. Oh well, live and learn. Some might think that all the intellignce in the world is useless if one cannot communicate with others without offending them.

Could you give me the number to Zig Zigglers course

"How to win friends and influence people"?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Hookup
Jerome: The problem with that is, its a Mitsubishi. Due to the numerous problems with those, I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. Just look at other threads here on this forum such as Mits nightmares. Also, check the archives here on RPTV's. The Mits is a nightmare
Mr. Hookup,

I was not lobbying for the Mits; I was merely stating a fact and nothing more.

--Jerome

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Carey
No one transmits 1080p. It is not technically possible at this time to fit that in the 19.34 Mb/s transport stream.
Joe, I think that is besides the point. What many HDTV afficionados are interested in doing is scaling 1080i to 1080p. There are video processors out there now that can line double 1080i--albeit expensive ones.

--Jerome

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsaliga

Joe, I think that is besides the point. What many HDTV afficionados are interested in doing is scaling 1080i to 1080p. There are video processors out there now that can line double 1080i--albiet expensive ones.

--Jerome
Yes, expensive indeed. I use the Teranex Xantus at work for our 480i to 1080i conversion and it has the ability to output 1080p but I've never played with it in that mode. Besides at $40k plus I don't think I will be bringing one home anytime soon.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gotapex
I really doubt Mr. Hookup's post was a sales pitch considering he mentioned $4k, a rather poor price. If it was a sales pitch, he'd probably do it on a product that he has a good price on, instead of something almost $1000 over market.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gotapex

Gotapex: Until you posted this, I had not seen these sites, only www.electrified.com, who is still selling these online for $6100 not including shipping. I question these sites selling them so cheap because they offer shipping of $69.95! That is absolutely rediculous. The shipping weight on this TV is 390 pounds! Do you honestly believe they will ship this to you for $69.95?? I couldn't get my trucker to deliver it next door for that price. Did you buy any of these sets from them, or do you know anyone who has? The average trucking company would charge a minimum of $200.00 - to $300.00 to ship it anywhere. Again, I did not want to sell these sets here. I was merely trying to find out the following: Are there any other RPTV's out there using 9" crts? Does anyone else offer a set with the resolution Philips is claiming: 1920 X 1080? The cut sheet that I have on this set is claiming that it can do 1080P. That is the reason for this thread. I'm sorry if some of you took it the wrong way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.