AVS Forum banner

Have you experienced Reboots or Lock-ups on your DTVPal DVR?

• no, I live in the West

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, I live in the South

• no, I live in the Southeast

• no, I live in the Northeast

• no, I live in the Midwest

• yes, I live in the West

• yes, I live in the South

• yes, I live in the Southeast

• yes, I live in the Northeast

• yes, I live in the Midwest

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please vote if you own a DTVPal DVR. Also please post more details such as your location and TVGOS or PSIP guide in the thread. For the purposes of this poll the five regions are:

Northeast - Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey
Midwest - Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri
Southeast - Delaware, Maryland, District of Columbia, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama
South - Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana
West - Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Alaska , Washington, Oregon, California, Hawaii

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have experienced (4) reboots and (1) lockup since December 24th. Location is Maryland, getting TVGOS from either WJZ Baltimore or WUSA DC (I pull in both, and have no zip code entered, so unsure of the source of the guide info).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I have my zip code set to my Milwaukee zip. I am receiving TV Guide data, which I'm assuming is from WDJT, our CBS affiliate.

I have experienced 11 reboots since December 24th. No lockups, but my screen does go black before the machine reboots.

Rebooting has occurred both before and after upgrading the firmware.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I live north of Dallas. I have my real zip code entered into the unit. TVGOS icon is visible in the guide screen. Signal strength on all channels is >85-90.

I've experienced multiple lock-ups & re-boots. Began a couple of days after originally turning the unit on. However, recently the lock-ups have not occurred; only re-boots. Re-boots begin occurring ~3-4 hours after turning the unit on each time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I vote yes - - - But I have been very happy with my unit

I got my unit for Christmas and did have some initial reboots and lockups but after doing a factory reset and disabling updates I have had only two and I think I know why for at least one of them.

The one lockup, I was recording the Orange Bowl plus another channel - - when I tried to change the channels and the screen froze because both tuners were in use. The next morning screen was still froze and I had to unplug to reset the unit. The recording said I had only got 1 hour and 27 minutes of the bowl game but when I watched it I had the entire game. (Thus even when the screen locks sometimes it continues to record)

I also upgraded the harddrive to a 500GB drive and that went very well and I'm glad I did it. The unit has had no lockups or reboots since changing the harddrive.

Lastly, I'm very, very happy with my DTVPAL DVR and would still recommend it to friends and family who only have OTA. BTW, I do get TVGOS and I'm about 55 miles from DC and 72 miles from Baltimore and I have my real zipcode entered in the unit.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycruiser /forum/post/15503010

I have experienced (4) reboots and (1) lockup since December 24th. Location is Maryland, getting TVGOS from either WJZ Baltimore or WUSA DC (I pull in both, and have no zip code entered, so unsure of the source of the guide info).

I have had no reboots or lockups. (Did have two skipped recordings Tuesday night, but a third worked ok.
) Location is southern York County.

I'm getting my TVGOS from WJZ Baltimore with zip code set to 21207 (I don't currently receive WHP Harrisburg and they're not reported as having TVGOS anyway). All 7 Baltimore channels have 7 day guide data, but 3 of 7 Harrisburg channels do not (WGAL-NBC, WGCB-IND, WHTM-ABC - WHTM not received, though strangely WHP-CBS does have 7 days).

(F202, Updates enabled for 1am, no Ethernet connected, did not reset to Factory defaults at anytime.)

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
received my unit and power cycle count was at 2 (makes sense....testing and me turning it on). I reset that when it arrived.

3 weeks later and 0 power cycle count and zero issues.

(Austin, TX KEYE-TV for TVGOS data)

·
Registered
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogee /forum/post/15504077

I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I have my zip code set to my Milwaukee zip. I am receiving TV Guide data, which I'm assuming is from WDJT, our CBS affiliate.

I have experienced 11 reboots since December 24th. No lockups, but my screen does go black before the machine reboots.

Rebooting has occurred both before and after upgrading the firmware.

I live in the Milwaukee area (western Waukesha county) and get TVGOS from WDJT also, but have not had a single reboot or lockup. I've recorded about 30 hours of programming so far, some of it using both tuners at once. But I have only watched a recorded show while also recording only once. Upgraded firmware during initial setup on Dec 24th.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mpls/St. Paul area in MN. No issues so far. Receiving TVGOS data. I've had updates disabled since the day I got it, real zip code is entered. Have not upgraded fw yet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
3 reboots so far since Dec 25, all 3 while watching previously recorded material. No reboots while recording, no lockups.

Northern VA area, TVGOS from WUSA-CBS ch 9. I do have some video/audio dropouts receiving this channel, even though the strength is 88-90. I have ordered a powered splitter which I will be trying next week.

Edit: 1st lockup Jan 9, while watching recorded program and pressing the skip button. Had to power cycle the unit.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Got the box on 12/26, updated firmware right away, updates set to disable, TVGOS from WBNS Columbus, Ohio.

No problems at all till last night ( posted details here ).

Short version...only one lockup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I received it Dec 17. It has shut down and restarted every day. It also freezes up every day. I have to unplug it from the power source.

The company emailed me a prepaid return label. I sent it back today. They said they will send me a new one. Customer service has been helpful. The machine is great, except for these problems.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I finally decided last week that I didn't care about the potential for lock ups/reboots, so I enabled updates, connected ethernet, and haven't taken any special measures to prevent these problems and I can report that the problems are now worse than ever. Guess I'll go back to troubleshooting and try to eliminate variables in order to reduce the problems that I'm having...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in the west in Phoenix, AZ. My machine averages about three hours between reboots. Half the time it reboots on its own and the rest of the time I have to unplug it, wait a while and plug it in again. Once I had to wait 16 hours.

The person that didn't have reboot problems, but had recording problems is probably having the unit reboot on its own during recording. If the unit records two or more sections for one show, it's probably rebooting on its own.

My unit dies during viewing and during recording. I guess units that lock up, reboot on their own or units that die are all having similar problems.

My guide only shows about 6-12 hours of information. Anyone else having the same problem.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersReviews /forum/post/15536947

My guide only shows about 6-12 hours of information. Anyone else having the same problem.

That probably means you're not getting TVGOS data. If you don't see the logo in the guide, you're only getting PSIP data which can go out longer, but most stations don't go beyond about 12 hours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my unit two days ago... Setup was a breeze and I was very excited about the unit when I started to use it. Then it restarted... Not once... but 5 times in 3 hours, and locked up completely while I was recording my first show on it. I left it alone until the show was over, hoping that it would still record even though there was no output, but after unplugging and starting up again, I only got half of my show. So 5 Restarts and 1 Lockup on day one (within 3 hours) and 4 Restarts 1 Lockup on day two (within 3 hours as well)... Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm60 /forum/post/15614731

I got my unit two days ago... Setup was a breeze and I was very excited about the unit when I started to use it. Then it restarted... Not once... but 5 times in 3 hours, and locked up completely while I was recording my first show on it. I left it alone until the show was over, hoping that it would still record even though there was no output, but after unplugging and starting up again, I only got half of my show. So 5 Restarts and 1 Lockup on day one (within 3 hours) and 4 Restarts 1 Lockup on day two (within 3 hours as well)... Anyone have any suggestions?

Return for a replacement.

·
Registered
443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk /forum/post/15616873

Return for a replacement.

+1

Also we should be able to either re-vote or vote again as I have two units one worked great for almost three weeks so I voted no issue then I had a reboot and now I got my secondary unit and it locked up the second day of use.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.