AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ideally, it would make sense for best performance and reliability to not share the 2 IRQ's needed by the accessDTV card; in respect to it's PVR and recording capabilities. It seems these functions are very interrupt intensive.

The best I can do is make available a dedicated non-shared IRQ to the Saa7146, WDM Capture driver.

I have the Janus, WDM Video Capture driver shared with my embedded mobo Intel 10/100 Ethernet adapter's IRQ. I have tried every possible combination of physically moving around my PCI devices on my mobo. I cannot unshare the 2nd IRQ without disabling my network card or another device.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to gain better control over shared IRQ"s to ultimately achieve 2 non-shared IRQ's for the accessDTV card?

Does anyone know which driver is more sensitive to IRQ sharing...such as when you FF, Rew, Pause, etc...

------------------

-Michael

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Michael,

Why are you going to all this trouble?

I have accessDTV working rock solid on my Windows 2000 machine and it records flawlessly even when I am doing stuff on the computer at the same time.

My machine has 10 devices all sharing IRQ 9.

ACPI Controller,Sound card,2 USB ports,accessDTV(2),Matrox G400,NIC,modem,Promise ATA100 controller.

Course under WIN2K these are virtual shares. The accessDTV card is physically in a non shared PCI slot.

What Mboard are you using? Mine is the ASUS CUSL2-C.

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not really that much trouble at all. I'm not even complaining since, everything works pretty much rock solid on my Win2k machine as well. It's actually kind of fun for me and a learning experience to fine tune my Win2k machine and get the best possible performance and reliability; since I do like to multitask http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I did have to go through a little bit of hassle to avoid WIn2k's ACPI management of sharing all IRQ's and the kitchen sink on IRQ 9. It was well worth it for me; increasing performance and eliminating all video/audio stutters I was getting in hardware tasks such as DVD playback, gaming; especially when multitasking.

I have an Asus P2B-LS with the latest bios rev.

I am still curious about my original post. However, it is of coarse no burning issue.

Any answers to my questions would be nice to know http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

-Michael

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
You make an interesting point and now you have me curious http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I do a lot of multitasting in Win2k since I am often doing Java/Jini development while accessDTV is recording.

However,I don't do games and I saw no improvement in DVD picture quality compared to my standalone progessive scan player so I stopped using the PC DVD. So maybe it's not an issue I have noticed.

I will be interested to see what you do find out - so please keep the post going.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
982 Posts
Michael,

I have the same motherboard. I am assuming you know that slot 1 and slot 4 share interrupts with onboard devices. This means you must use slot 2 or slot 3 for your AccessDTV card in order to have a prayer of being on its own physical interrupt. I have my HiPix card on its own physical interrupt by placing it in one of the middle slots. I have both a Win98 and W2K boot drive. On my W98 system, it shows my HiPix card being on its own interupt. However, on W2K, it shows up on the same logical interrupt as all my other devices. I'm not too worried about it on my W2K system though since W2K supposedly does a much better job handling interrupts - and my HiPix card seems to be running just fine in W2K.

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cpete, my accessDTV card is in slot 3 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif That was the only way I could get the system bios to not share one of the card's IRQ's. However, for some reason, the second IRQ on the card has an affinity for the IRQ on my embedded NIC. or sound card (depending on which slot I choose).

I have a feeling it would be pretty much impossible to dedicated both IRQ's as non-shared...nor totally necessary.

I wish there was a utility which allowed to control my motherboard's IRQ's a little better. Definitely, nothing can be done in it's bios or the mobo itself without disabling other devices.

However, as I mentioned before http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif This is no burning issue.

------------------

-Michael

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
 Well it's a burning issue for me , dammit. My accessDTV card is barely usable as the result of frustratingly predictable system lockups that occur when I click the fast forward or rewind buttons more than a couple of times. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif

I've got the two accessDTV drivers, the Radeon AIW video card driver, the Promise Ultra100 IDE controller and the WDM modem enumerator all sharing IRQs 3 and 5 on my Windows Me HTPC. I'm rapidly losing patience, especially since it has now been three days from when I reported the problem to iTech and I have yet to hear from them (although Cliff at Digital Connection at least responded with some beta software that helped somewhat).

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Scott,

I might have missed it in your earlier posts, but what chipset is your mobo using?

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

[This message has been edited by Kei Clark (edited 05-10-2001).]

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I'm not sure, Kei; it's a Compaq Presario 7000T 1 GHz Pentium III. xcel seemed to think that it was an Intel i815E chipset, but I've never been able to nail it down.

If someone could give me some specific instructions for where to look on the motherboard and/or descriptions of what certain mobo-identifying chips look like, I might be able to answer your question. Meanwhile, I will try to get through to Compaq technical support to get an answer to that question.

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Scott,

Look under Device Manager>System Devices. You'll find almost everything to have to do with your motherboard listed here. What you are looking for is anything that lists Intel's chipset (i.e. Intel 82443BX for 440BX). Please list anything that to do with Intel or VIA. If it is an Intel chipset, it's quite possible that you maybe able to dedicate IRQ for specific slot.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Thanks, Kei... It's been a long time since I used a consumer version of Windows and I'm still feeling my way around the system (more like poking around in the dark, oh well).

I'm at work right now but I will be sure to check that when I get home this evening.

[edit]

Since this is getting OT (my fault!), I'm continuing discussion of my problem over here in the thread I originally started about the system hangups. Thanks...

[/edit]

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

[This message has been edited by Scott Gammans (edited 05-11-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.