AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still watch movies in cinema even I have dedicated HT room which I think a decent system.To my eye the traditional films are always blurred ,may be BD make me feel like this but in Digital cinema,it is as good or better than HT.Lately I saw Australia in decent multiplex and it was good to be with many audiences,the good epic film it is.Have you still watched movies in theater,Please share our opinion?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I try to avoid it, because I don't enjoy the theater experience... ie, not being able to pause and go to the bathroom, crappy PA speakers delivering the sound way too loudly, and a babbling idiot audience.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 /forum/post/15482048

I try to avoid it, because I don't enjoy the theater experience... ie, not being able to pause and go to the bathroom, crappy PA speakers delivering the sound way too loudly, and a babbling idiot audience.

Yes I hate it too,but cannot avoid that.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Benjamin Button on Dec. 30th. The picture had lines through it and the picture didn't fit the screen, spilling over onto the curtains. A multi-million dollar theater lets this happen, yet I wouldn't stand for it in my little bat-cave.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
In 2008, I went to the movie theater 15+ times. In general, it helps to go to one that takes their movies more seriously, and is more catered to an adult audience. The Alamo Drafthouse has me spoiled.

Though it is nice, I love watching movies at home. You're sitting in the sweet spot, you have a pause button, you can control the volume level, etc.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle /forum/post/15482426

Benjamin Button on Dec. 30th. The picture had lines through it and the picture didn't fit the screen, spilling over onto the curtains. A multi-million dollar theater lets this happen, yet I wouldn't stand for it in my little bat-cave.

I love David Fincher's film and Brad Pitt too.How good is this film,the makeup for Pitt is superb in still picture?

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
The last time we went was for Quatam of Solice. I'd like to go see The Reader, but with the cost of tickets and the general agro in going to the cinema these days, I think I'll just buy the BD when it comes out and watch it at home.

As my living room gets more and more like a theatre, I have less and less desire to mingle with the crowds at a multiplex....

Seggers

·
Registered
57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar /forum/post/15482988

In 2008, I went to the movie theater 15+ times. In general, it helps to go to one that takes their movies more seriously, and is more catered to an adult audience. The Alamo Drafthouse has me spoiled.

agreed. i enjoy going to the arclight in hollywood because the experience is better than i can recreate. unfortunately it's an hour drive (on a good day) in both directions so i don't go very often.

i will make the occasional trip for a movie i'm really interested in, something that requires equipment not available at the consumer level (dark knight for imax, up for the 3d) or an under-the-radar film that might not make it to the home video market for years - if ever.

other than that i have really cut back due to problems mentioned here: poor quality control, overpriced tickets, uncomfortable seating, annoying audience. i suspect once the new pj and screen go in this week the cinema will see even less of me in 2009.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'm an easygoing film goer, but even more important, I'm a parent of young children who can barely get out of my house. I love seeing movies in the theatre if for anything it means I'm out. Sad state of being a stay-at-home-mom, I suppose!

At any rate, whenever I do go, inevitably I think to myself, "This will look better when I get it on BluRay and watch it again at home," because my theatre is terrible as it is. For example, when I saw Mamma Mia this summer, TDK was playing in the screen next to it (our theatre has all of 3 whole screens, and it's the only theatre in town) and during the dialogue portions of Mamma Mia all you could hear was the meanacing action from TDK next door.

I don't mind the crowds either, but I prefer fun crowds to overly serious. The crowd at Quantum of Solace suuuucked, they were uber serious and not one person besides my friend and I laughed at the Bond Cheesiness -- I love Bond movies for that reason in particular! A few weeks later when I went to see Twilight _insert_groan_here_, the crowd was very fun; we all laughed at how horribly bad that movie was in unison.

Then there's the classic moments in a theatre that always make me laugh when I think about them: when I saw the first LOTR movie on opening night, in the middle of a quiet scene and Hugo Weaving appeared on screen someone shouted, "Mr. Anderson!" really loud... it was hilarious.

I don't think my home theatre setup will ever take me away from seeing movies in the theatre, I wish I could go more often than I do!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyglassesgirl /forum/post/15483510

when I saw the first LOTR movie on opening night, in the middle of a quiet scene and Hugo Weaving appeared on screen someone shouted, "Mr. Anderson!" really loud... it was hilarious.

I try not to take things too seriously, as well, but... LOTR on opening night? I probably would've shot that guy.

·
Registered
879 Posts
In theory, the theatrical experience should better the HT experience. Unfortunately, in practice, this has not been the case for me in the past 8-10 years or so. Now with Blu-ray, my "modest" (compared to many enthusiasts' jaw dropping systems) 92" front projection setup completely decimates my local multiplexes in terms of quality.

It's astounding to me how people will pay $10 (or more) for the modern "multiplex" experience. Maybe the stale popcorn adds a certain charm. Who knows...

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
The Muvico Theater chain got me back into going to the theater. My main complaint was the too dark image that I was seeing at different theaters. I knew the movie shouldn't be that dark. It took all the fun out of going. Muvico is 4k digital and has a premier section for adults 25 and over. I saw TDK there and the sound blew me away. The LFE had my seat rumbling and pants fluttering. I had never heard sound that good in a theater. Even though it cost more, I like going there.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have not been to a theatre which is near as good as the PQ and AQ I get at home on my rather non-premium setup. I'm sure there may be 1 or 2 theatres in the city which are decent but the ones near me are definitely not worth the price of admission compared to buying the Blu-ray and watching it at home. I don't like crowds and like peace to watch my movies so there really is no question as to Home Theatre vs the multiplex for me. I typically go 1 or 2 times per year mostly due to my wife or kids being too anxious to wait for the home release.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I've been going a lot more lately now that I have a high quality DLP theater nearby. The crowds usually don't annoy and it's one of few fun things to do when out with friends.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I go see pretty much every new movie that opens on the day/weekend that it opens... I've been doing it for years and regardless of how awesome my home theatre is, as long as there are movie theatres, I'll never stop.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyglassesgirl /forum/post/15483510

I'm an easygoing film goer, but even more important, I'm a parent of young children who can barely get out of my house. I love seeing movies in the theatre if for anything it means I'm out. Sad state of being a stay-at-home-mom, I suppose!

Same boat! (Minus the stay at home mom part. I'm more of a parent of a 15 month old who we can never find a baby sitter for type guy.)

Quote:
I don't think my home theatre setup will ever take me away from seeing movies in the theatre, I wish I could go more often than I do!

Ditto. I won't go to movies for anything but event films and weird one-offs, but when I do, I make it a point to go when I think the crowd will be best.

I saw all three Lord of the Rings on their midnight openings, and it was a blast to be in that kind of a crowd who were just pumped to be there.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Only major releases (very few), but I really compare the experience to a long flight. I get extremely unconfortable, the image quality is much better at home, but the worst part for me is the slow torture of aggressively loud previews.

To illustrate the image quality, my wife once said how she likes regular DVD because it more resembles the theater "look." By the way, this is a fairly new multiplex near our home and better in all respects than the other ones I've been to, but I don't think we have a DLP one nearby. I'd like to check that out, but image quality is probably the part that least bothers me.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
My HT doesn't compare to some of the amazing sets that I've seen on avs (Art, do you hear me, you lucky dawg?
, but I'd dare say it's pretty descent. So, while I most certainly enjoy watching movies in the comfort of my home, I enjoy at least as much seeing them in theaters.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It used to be that the picture quality was so-so. However, now that my local MJR has upgraded to DLP Christie projectors, I can actually enjoy watching a movie at the theater again.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I still enjoy going out to movies. We don't go a lot, maybe once every other month. Here is why it works for us:

We don't go for "critical viewing and listening" experiences, we go out to enjoy time together, away from the house.

We avoid the most popular times people mostly go, i.e. Friday/Saturday evenings and "normal" matinees.

We rarely go in the first couple of weeks a movie opens. One because of the crowds and two because I get cheaper tickets from my work.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts