AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious about how many people have modded their systems.

Is anybody running the X-Box media player application?

J

·
Registered
669 Posts
ive been trying to get my chip to work, theres a solder point, the infamous 'D0' point i'm having trouble with. I have the xecuter 2 pro.

xbmp is one of the apps im looking forward to. I may have to mail my box off to someone to do the install for me. anyone know a good installer?

·
Registered
669 Posts
DaGamePimp,

if i wasn't having problems, why would i say i did?

i wish i worked for microsoft! besides depending on how you interpret the dmca, i haven't done anything illegal, especiall since i cant get the damn chip to work.

regarding the d0 point, i highly doubt you have gotten one of the 3rd gen modchips to work without the d0 point, in fact many people put a switch on the d0 point to toggle the chip on and off. the x2 pro and lite, and the matrix require the d0 point.

i can program the the chip, read the chip and verify it, turn the chip on, and it still boots copy right microsoft, wont run unsigned code etc. cant even get it to FRED (Flash RED green)

so i'm suspect of the d0 point, also the tutorials on www.xbox-scene.com say if you get as far as i did and it doesn't boot the bios or FRED, its the d0 point, also it seems like the folks on irc seem to think its the d0 also.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Statix,

I have a lot of modding experience. For d0 (which is a absolute requirement), try using 30 guage wire (If you are not already, http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=278%2D501 ). The wire should he thin enough to actually slide into the hole at the d0 point. What I do is leave the stripped part a little longer and put a drop of solder up high on the exposed wire (away from the tip of the stripped part), I then insert the wire into the d0 hole as far as it will go (which is generally not to far). I then apply the tip of the soldering iron to the drop of solder I placed away from the tip and drag it down to the mainboard, until it makes contact with the ring around the d0 solder-point. The wire should now be soldered securely in place, it should not feel very weak or flimsy. I hope this helps.

Steve

·
Registered
669 Posts
got it to work!!

used the rear d0 point and solder directly to the chip.

if anyone is considering modding their xbox, do it! its cooler than you can ever imagine. Most people should be able to put the chip in pretty easy, i'm the exception ;-)

all i can say is its pretty killer!

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
If I'm getting someone to mod my XBox (i.e. my local import store), can they put in a switch? I'm thinking about getting XBox Live, but I'd also like to play import games.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JBlacklow
If I'm getting someone to mod my XBox (i.e. my local import store), can they put in a switch? I'm thinking about getting XBox Live, but I'd also like to play import games.
It depends somewhat on your chip, but switches are fairly easy to wire in. With the X2Lite, all you need is a simple switch that will short two pins, and it will work fine.

The X2Pro (the chip I'm using) has a bank of external DIP switches, one of which will disable the mod.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I think they said the chip would be the Enigma, can you wire a switch into that one?

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have a modded X-Box that I use ONLY for emulation. I have over 100 old NES,SNES, and Genesis games that I now have in a storage box in my closet, because I no longer need them lying around anymore... :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ah! 29 wires of pain! :) I still remember the night I spent to fix my mistake after lifting tracks while soldering all 29 wires. :)

My memory is bit hazy but I believe all you need is inserting a toggle switch between two wires - can't recall the wire number top of my head.

dj

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Well, they don't have the chip in at the store, maybe I could convince them to order the Xecuter2 chip instead. For right now I don't have any plans except to use the modded Xbox for imports. Mmmm...Soul Calibur II...

·
Registered
16,917 Posts
Sorry ,

-- I realized after reading my posts [above] that they crossed the point of discussion and actually became descriptive about a frowned upon topic here , so I removed them .

-- Jason Berg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.