AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently popped in the Blu disc version of Evil Dead 2, a film me and my brother were ga-ga over when I saw it on the VCR back in Jr. High.

Things have changed quite a bit I suppose because I made it to the end of the film without enjoying one second of it. I can barely believed I once had it as one of my all-time favorite movies (but for some reason, I hadn't seen it again since the 80s). Today the flick strikes me as being dumber than a bag of rocks.

I can't think of another movie that has had a big of drop in appeal for me than this one. How about you guys? Which movie did you once love that you no longer want to watch?

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
I might get flak for this, but the first thing that popped into my head was Star Wars. Man, I was a complete SW nut as a kid....the toys, lunchboxes, posters, trading cards, halloween costumes, conventions, etc....

Maybe the "re-workings" of Lucas or the horribleness of Eps 1-3 have soured me. Or maybe as an adult I've just been able to take off the Rose Colored Glasses and see what bad acting and dialogue is throughout it (and the Special Effects no longer impress like they did). Anyways I can barely stand to watch it anymore.

Of course, Empire and ROTJ still are very enjoyable to me, and I still think most of the ROTJ Death Star II Space Battle holds up, 26 years later. I'm impressed everytime I watch it.

BTW, good thread subject. I still enjoy Evil Dead 2 though.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I watched Conan with Arnold S. a year ago because I remember loving it as a kid, but thought it is one of the worst films ever made after seeing it again. Just terrible in all aspects. Can't believe I liked it as a youngster.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/16908581

I might get flak for this, but the first thing that popped into my head was Star Wars.

Nah, I thought the same thing. I have no interest in watching that movie now, and I can pretty much quote every line in it I've watched it so much over the years. If I came across it on tv, I'd look for something else on another channel.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Only a couple of the movies I 'loved' as a kid do I enjoy much now. These things should not be surprising... people mature... interests change. Here is a famous quote.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Muhammad Ali

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 /forum/post/16908597

I watched Conan with Arnold S. a year ago because I remember loving it as a kid, but thought it is one of the worst films ever made after seeing it again. Just terrible in all aspects. Can't believe I liked it as a youngster.

yeah I revisited Conan a little while ago and thought it was pretty bad. But you've got to admit it's pretty funny when he punches out the camel!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lister /forum/post/16908925

yeah I revisited Conan a little while ago and thought it was pretty bad. But you've got to admit it's pretty funny when he punches out the camel!

Ha haa! The highlight of the film.

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^^ Haha, for whatever reason I still love all four of those flicks (ok, I merely 'like' Labryinth). I recently showed The Neverending Story to my daughter for the first time and we loved it.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/16909492

^^^ Haha, for whatever reason I still love all four of those flicks (ok, I merely 'like' Labryinth). I recently showed The Neverending Story to my daughter for the first time and we loved it.

Same here. What's funny is that my 5 year old daughter likes the same movies I watched as a kid more than she likes the new stuff. Can't say I really blame her.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I really loved Square Pegs when it was first broadcast, and I was in my thirties! They finally released the boxed set, and I can see why it only lasted one season- highly flawed acting, save for Sarah Jessica Parker and Kris Nelson, not very good writing, and absolutely abysmal direction, some of the worst comedy setup and pacing I have ever seen in a network show.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts

Quote:

I guess that means the sequel is twice as bad....!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:

I watched Conan with Arnold S. a year ago because I remember loving it as a kid, but thought it is one of the worst films ever made after seeing it again. Just terrible in all aspects.

Basil Poledouris' score was always the best thing about that movie, and it's still a great score today. Arnold's acting and the story do seem even more ridiculous in retrospect however.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have found that as a general rule, sci-fi and horror don't stand the test of time nearly as well as comedy and drama. There is nothing worse than trying to watch old sci-fi movies now that there have been so many advancements.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKB /forum/post/16910235

Basil Poledouris' score was always the best thing about that movie, and it's still a great score today. Arnold's acting and the story do seem even more ridiculous in retrospect however.

The score was top notch, agreed. The 2 Conans along with maybe The Beastmaster and Clash of the Titans are among the few "old" sci-fi flicks I can still stomach. They were always good on a rainy Sunday afternoon when I was in grade school. Good old TBS. Man, they used to wear these movies out.

Good times

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKB /forum/post/16910235

Arnold's acting and the story do seem even more ridiculous in retrospect however.

That's because his robotic style was only made for The Terminator...

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/16908581

I might get flak for this, but the first thing that popped into my head was Star Wars.

+ another one. Pretty much no interest in seeing that crap again.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts