AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, which did you buy and for how much and how's it workin for ya?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
This is probably the wrong section for such discussions.

I'd suggest checking out the HDTV hardware section

rather than RPTVs.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by zvogt
This is probably the wrong section for such discussions.

I'd suggest checking out the HDTV hardware section

rather than RPTVs.
LIKE all the damn threads here are specifically about RPTV's, the whole RPTV and nothing but the RPTV....just like your Mufusick poll. I knew someone would say that to me. You use these puppies on RPTV's so just answer my damn questions and give me a stinkin break.

ps: that reply sounded mean and I really am a nice guy. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I'm running a Samsung SIR-T165,

and if I had it to do over again I wouldN'T buy it.

It's performing great and has some slick features

that I get plenty of use out of, BUT I plan on buying

a new DISH HD receiver whenever they finally

become available, and those will have OTA capabilities,

so my T165 will become completely redundant at

that point.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks zvogt, that is what I was looking for. I am in the same situation but it is looking further and further away and I was thinking about all those lines I was missin in the meantime.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Samsung SIR-T151 (got it for free with Cineos purchase from Tweeter). It is working out great so far, though I am also waiting to upgrade when the new HD DirecTIVO finally hits the market (supposedly, it will have 2 OTA tuners and 2 DirecTV tuners :)) ).

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Sony SAT-HD200 (or 300, soon) is a good solution. It accepts OTA, cable and DirecTV inputs. It integrates all of these into one "advanced program guide." Picture quality for OTA-HD and DirecTV-HD is phenomenal, and Sony has made the SAT-HDx00 a fine-quality A/V component.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks,

Any idea on the pricing structure of the Sony?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by manpig
Manpig,

I would have responded but you already know what I am running. Right?

Samsung SIR T165 on the Mits and SIR T351 on Hita. :D

Just so you know.

In several of the threads we have been posting on, I have read several members refer to NTSC OTA, digital cable or analog cable as SD-Standard Definition. This should not be correct from what I remember but I can't find the literature anymore.

Samsung had this wonderful explantion of Signal formats for their OTA tuners. Their explanation for SD was a broadcast digital signal that your tuner would decode and input to your tv that would be better than the NTSC analog signal.

This weekend I watched an SD program on my Hita and compared it to the analog/digital cable and the SD signal from my tuner was twice as good as my cable. With a lot less noise in the picture. If you could view this you would definately like your set more!!!! I can't believe you are actually just watching cable. :(

Anyone chime in please, what is the true defintion of SD? :confused:

Does NTSC OTA and Analog cable belong in the SD category (I don't believe so but I think some newbies are confusing it in the Hitachi owners forum)?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Shark,

Maybe your post will generate some discussion on this.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by manpig
What's the point. Which one you are going to buy, it's going to break anyway.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I bought the Samsung SIR-T351 for $350 shipped from an online retailer. I am glad I found out about it since I almost bought the 151 for not much less. It has worked just fine but does switch channels a little slow for me.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Samsung T-160

I still have a RCA DTC-100 as well, and I also "had" a Toshiba TU-HDS20, but sold it to buy the T-160.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Sony HD100, HD200, and eventually the HD300.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PoolShark
Does NTSC OTA and Analog cable belong in the SD category (I don't believe so but I think some newbies are confusing it in the Hitachi owners forum)?
I don't know if there is any established etiquette on this, but I agree that there should be some differentiation between Analog Cable, Digital Cable, D* Standard, and OTA NTSC. There are huge steps of improvement/degradation from one to another. The best I have noticed is definitely the OTA, though - it's amazing what compression can do to a picture.

·
Registered
213 Posts
LMAO at EIN... Manpig, I'm waiting for Adelphia (hopefully as a beta tester) to release HD programming in my area. If I was closer to the local towers (I'm around 40 miles away) then I'd likely try either a Zenith 420 or Sammy T-151. The Zenith seems generally agreed to have the best tuner.

With my local cable provider supposedly (big 'if' with Adelphia) close to delivering HD to my door, I'm not ready to spend the dough on an STB and outdoor antenna installation at this moment (especially with winter right around the corner) that will likely be hit or miss anyway...

I'm waiting now for the LG 3100a (previously known as the would-be Zenith 430). Looks like all it will add to the 420 will be a DVI output though. It's also supposed to have QAM, but only in an either/or configuration along with OTA. You can't use it for both at the same time. A lotta good that does...

Once the LG OTA box shows up (in a month or a month and a half) and a handful of others have tried it I'll get an update from Adelphia and decide whether to wait for them or give the LG or one of the Sammy STBs a shot... Just FWIW....

Marc

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NikePenguin
I bought the Samsung SIR-T351 for $350 shipped from an online retailer. I am glad I found out about it since I almost bought the 151 for not much less. It has worked just fine but does switch channels a little slow for me.
What's wrong with the 151???

·
Registered
151 Posts
Marc - From 40 miles away you should be able to receive OTA broadcasts! Goto the Channel Master websight they have a wide range of antenna to choose from. I am about 35 miles away and my neighbors works great!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.