AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't get into this whole DVD thing until about 10 months ago.

Currently, I have about 65 DVDs and have only watched about one third of them.

Am I the only one who has quite a few unwrapped boxes on the shelf?

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I have a little over 400 and have watched at lest 390 of them. Why do you buy them if not to watch. An airplane is not an airplane unless it flies. Also I would remove the shrink wrap especially off any snapper cases. Over time it can draw up and bend the cases.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yeah, me too. I think a big factor is that you tend to start collecting your favorites when they first come out because you got it at a big discount (these days 30-35% is considered big as no more 40% offers lately - dotcoms gotta make money I supposed). But the biggest factor is probably the fact that it's almost as cheap as buying a music CD and you get more bang for the buck, making buying a so-so movie not that big a deal. At least I can commend the studio pricing plan on this one.

I got quite a few LDs but I remember not being so impulsive back then because they used to cost $40-100 a pop, plus they are heavy.

If the DVD recorders come down to CD-RW prices, I would still buy DVDs outright unless there was some jackup in prices. The packaging is a big draw to me.:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have been hoarding Laserdiscs (@$3.95 a pop it's easy) and have a couple of 100 for a rainy day

Why rent when it's cheaper to buy and no late fee!

·
Registered
667 Posts
120, watched 37. I bought many through Columbia House to build my collection, I like to have a good selection for me & my guests to draw from...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I've watched about 160 of the 170 I own. I'll be caught up in the next couple of weeks... :)

Peace.....

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I own a little over 350 dvds, and I have watched most of them.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
It seems silly to me to buy something and never bother to experience it. Kind of like the attitude of Charles Foster Kane, who bought statues and kept them crated.

I've watched all my DVDs.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I own 88 as of today, I have watched 80, the problem is I buy them faster than I can watch them, I have only had my DVD players 2-1/2 months, and I should be picking up 5 to 10 this weekend.

Also since I got my DVD players, I have not rented anything since Aug.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've got about 124 discs -- 24 of which haven't been watched. Some it's because I saw the movie fairly recently in theaters (Traffic/Blow). Some I just haven't found the time. And only 7-8 of the 24 are films I've never yet seen (Mighty Aphrodite, As Good as it Gets, Green Mile).

Movie watching dropped off a bit this year as my wife and I looked for a house, moved and are still getting things in order. Expect it to pick up this winter :D

BTW, I try to always at least open up my discs when I get them now as they could be missing or broken. My copy of Forrest Gump was an Amazon order, and only the supplemental disc was in the sealed package, the movie was not. Was able to easily return. On Hollow Man, the disc was cracked at the top half, again easy return. If you go months and months before opening, returning may not be as simple or even possible if there are problems.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I own close to 150 DVDs, and I have watched all of them except for the new Terminator, which I just bought yesterday. I plan on watching that later this week.

There is nothing wrong though with picking up movies and not watching them for awhile, IMO. DVDs are great to watch during a cold winter in Ohio when you have plenty of lazy time. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've watched most of them. I go in buying spurts, though. I had my set calibrated a little while ago, and have been inspired to buy dvds again. Haven't watched every one of them yet! And when relatives are coming for a visit, I wait since I know they'll want to watch movies.......

·
Registered
43 Posts
Men you are talking to a DVD fanatic, I hardly watch my Vcr tapes anymore. I have watched "The Matrix" about 80 times, "The Sixth Sense" about 50 times. Movie called "Cutaway" about 60 times about sky diving.

"Dirty Dancing" at least 45 times, ooh I love that gal with the tan pants on.

Conan about 15 times, Star Trek: First Contact 25 times, 1999 "The Haunting" 30 times, "Volcano" about 20 times. I live to watch DVDs that are great on my wide screen HDTV. I am glad these discs don't wear as I am the man that would wear them out!ditto. Only movie I have not watched more than once "Se7en", time to watch one of 7 I got today Cheers.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've watched all of my currently owned 110 DVDs. I also probably have watched almost that much in rentals and about a couple of dozen I have sold off. I'm very picky when it comes to keeping a DVD for my collection.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Own 69 DVD's and have watched them all save one that I was waiting for an upgrade in my sound system to do it justice (No, not SW:Ep 1, though that's on the agenda for my weekend buying) No the DVD in question is Superman. That musical score deserves, nay, *demands* a DD5.1 set up to enjoy it fully. Now that I am finally at the DD5.1/DTS level, I'll give the disk a spin :cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Even though I only own 15 DVDs, there are 3 that I have not watched. So I have watched 80% of my DVDs. The DVDs that I have not watched were gifts.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zed3
Men you are talking to a DVD fanatic, I hardly watch my Vcr tapes anymore. I have watched "The Matrix" about 80 times, "The Sixth Sense" about 50 times. Movie called "Cutaway" about 60 times about sky diving.

"Dirty Dancing" at least 45 times, ooh I love that gal with the tan pants on.

Conan about 15 times, Star Trek: First Contact 25 times, 1999 "The Haunting" 30 times, "Volcano" about 20 times. I live to watch DVDs that are great on my wide screen HDTV. I am glad these discs don't wear as I am the man that would wear them out!ditto. Only movie I have not watched more than once "Se7en", time to watch one of 7 I got today Cheers.
Just to watch the 8 movies you list it would take over 90 days watching a full 8 hours a day 7 days a week!:eek: WOW! Oh yea What's a VHS?:confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I buy them as soon as they are available, and if they are re-watchable to me I watch them every couple of weeks is that a little clearer for you, if not "look into my eye".

Quote from movie "Aliens" when Bill Paxton's character wakes up and puts foot on cold floor, seargent of marine corp says words in quote to him. BTW William I'm not working at present, that help too?

You play with your calculator and I'll watch any disc I want over, as many times as I want okay William I'll never 'tell'.:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.