AVS Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
ES_Revenge said:
LCDs, like other digital display types (OLED and plasma included) all display using "sample and hold".
According one of the links you posted
''Plasma TVs, which are disappearing fast, create each image with multiple flashes. Which arguably is sort of sample and hold, but doesn't have the same sort of motion blur problems.''

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
According one of the links you posted
''Plasma TVs, which are disappearing fast, create each image with multiple flashes. Which arguably is sort of sample and hold, but doesn't have the same sort of motion blur problems.''
Yep, it is sample and hold but it's "flashed" at a very high rate--of the major digital display types it's close to CRT in that regard. Still plasma has a lot of other problems and obviously development on those stopped ages ago; OLED is pretty much the modern-day plasma though, lol. Great blacks, but suffers from burn-in/degradation over time. But, on the plus side at least it isn't bulky/heavy, and doesn't burn mad power and dissipate a lot of heat like plasma.

Motion is really only one dimension of a display's performance and of enjoyment of a TV. There are still LCDs and OLEDs that have very good motion performance for what they are; BFI is a great idea too but on LCDs the dimming/flicker is usually distracting and disappointing. For very bright LCDs it's not too bad though. Anyway for those that "can't let go" of that same one dimension--motion--can always just "stick with plasma" as long as their TVs last anyway. Now me I never recommended going with plasma to begin with, never mind sticking with it like decade+ later, but whatever floats people's boats I guess.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Yep, it is sample and hold but it's "flashed" at a very high rate--of the major digital display types it's close to CRT in that regard. Still plasma has a lot of other problems and obviously development on those stopped ages ago; OLED is pretty much the modern-day plasma though, lol. Great blacks, but suffers from burn-in/degradation over time. But, on the plus side at least it isn't bulky/heavy, and doesn't burn mad power and dissipate a lot of heat like plasma.

Motion is really only one dimension of a display's performance and of enjoyment of a TV. There are still LCDs and OLEDs that have very good motion performance for what they are; BFI is a great idea too but on LCDs the dimming/flicker is usually distracting and disappointing. For very bright LCDs it's not too bad though. Anyway for those that "can't let go" of that same one dimension--motion--can always just "stick with plasma" as long as their TVs last anyway. Now me I never recommended going with plasma to begin with, never mind sticking with it like decade+ later, but whatever floats people's boats I guess.
Sure motion is one aspect but one can be motion sensitive and some degree of motion smoothing can be experienced as being unpleasant ..which is why motion performance a big deal for some. Aside from that looks like motion is the most important element for making stuff more realistic, realism is what higher frame rate is all about.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Sure motion is one aspect but one can be motion sensitive and some degree of motion smoothing can be experienced as being unpleasant ..which is why motion performance a big deal for some. Aside from that looks like motion is the most important element for making stuff more realistic, realism is what higher frame rate is all about.

Agreed. Great Blacks, Color, and brightness are all achievable with good modern HDTVs, but that perfect blur free motion while mainting a SDTV's native 480 lines of motion resolution was left behind and perfected back in the 80's with CRT. plasma's were the closest thing but they've been worm food since 2014.

I'm just saying we've taken an enormous step back, and we're spending thousands of dollars for HDR, higher resolutions, larger and brighter screens etc but we've sacrificed one of the most integral and important aspects of a TV that was already perfect all of those years ago. Perfect blur free motion and motion clarity. Again, i'm extremely sensitive to motion and i need Plasma-level motion clarity or i wont even bother. i get very irritated with motion blur, to the point where i completely stop playing if it's anything in first or 3rd person.

But again, plasma's are generally dim, have auto brightness limiting, and way too much input lag. they're simply put not an option. I could score a 32" Sony wega trinitron SDTV and use component cables, but then i'd be missing out on a larger screen, HD, widescreen, Progressive scan etc lol they're perfect for SD gaming though!

it's either QLED or OLED. pick your poison! :p It's too bad BFI dims down the picture and raises lag because that right there would of been the solution. Motion interpolation also raises lag, why even bother. i'm looking for sub 16ms and nothing more.

I'm going to probably get the Hisense H9G 55" once RTNGS reviews it. i can't justify spending over $2000 for a 55" LG C9 that's going to give me blue tinted colors & Whites, auto brightness limiting while still having to put up with motion blur. they're asking way too much for what you'er getting. i've seen enough comparisons online, even with Sony's OLED the picture looks abnormally cool most of the time and too blue. I'd rather have the more natural colors of QLED, brighter picture, great blacks(although not OLED perfect but close) and save $1000...

21 - 24 of 24 Posts