AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, so I settled on this one. If it needs to be moved, feel free...

Anyway, I have a built-in DVD-/+R burner on my home pc (Windows XP OS). Until this past December I was able to burn DVDs (nothing illegal - just home videos and the like) that could play in my normal DVD players throughout my house. But when I tried to put together a DVD before this past christmas, the DVD would finish, and be playable in my PC (or any PC for that matter) but would result in an "error" display on any of my DVD players. I went through several different attempts (including attempts on DVD-R, DVD+R, and even a DVD-RW formats) and nothing works. I thought it had something to do with my burner not "finishing" the disc (which is why it would play on the PC but not a dedicated player), but then I noticed another problem.

When I attempt to backup data to a DVD (by just copying files over to the drive), it doesn't recognize it as a DVD-RAM drive, instead it identifies it as CD-R instead. Is this normal? I figured I could copy files to a DVD data disc just the same as I could a CD-R, but it absolutely will not let me do that. It still copies just fine to CD-R but obviously I want to use DVD-R's because of the immense size difference.

Could the 2 issues be related? Or does Win XP just not allow the same kind of file copying on DVD data discs that it does on CD-R?

I'd greatly appreciate any info on this...my web searches turned up fruitless. Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Slow your burn speed down to 8x or lower and use Quality media .Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden .Did you change burning programs ? A better place to get help would be the forums on www.afterdawn.com . Hope this helps. Brian

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys.

Should I expect to be able to just transfer data over to a DVD-ROM the same as I can a CD-ROM? Or is the process not the same? I'm just trying to figure out if there is a problem with my DVD burner drive. Thanks. again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts