AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded my DirecTV reciever to a HD DVR about 6 months ago. Before I went HD with a new dish I had no problems at all with my service. As soon as they put up the 5 lnb dish, I've had problems every night (nights only, when it gets dark) where ONLY my local channels become pixelized and the noise cuts in and out and makes high pitched chirps. A DirecTV tech supervisor has been out to my house over 10 times in 6 months and I told him I think it's the dish but he doesn't believe so, and won't try another dish. We find that when I use a vacuum cleaner upstairs it makes the problem occur instantly or worsen if it is already happening, but the pixelation will happen when all electricity is off except the tv only (no lights, etc.) So he says it's an electric problem within my household, but my question is why does it only affect my local channels ONLY and never happened for the entire year before I went up to the 5 lnb dish? I'm going crazy because the locals are where all the good shows are and I can't watch any of them. Any ideas? has this happened to anyone else? thanks.

Dustin

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get my locals non HD through DirecTV, I'm not using an OTA ant. But, the problem seemed to occur as soon as they put up the 5 lnb HD dish, which has a completely seperate lnb for just the locals (I was told) but he checked it and said it was working fine. My signal strength is around 97% for almost every setting, ie. 101, 119, etc. which is great, so it's not the signal strength either.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so would you be able to speculate on the what might be causing the interference only on the locals. Even if it is electrical like he says (after 10 visits to my house - I think he just doesn't want to come back either) than I just don't understand why I never had a problem the entire year before I went to the new dish.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I suspect it might be something in the connections or something in the set up of your DVR receiver. I would start all over with the set up and connections to the receiver and all of your receiver settings.. With those kind of readings on all the satellites certainly the signal should not be a problem. As a last resort you could put the three lnb back up and see if the problem goes away. If it does you should then be able to isolate the problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
true, maybe I can try a 3lnb again just to test it. I forgot to mention this is my third HD DVR receiver so I have done the connections many times. At first they were certain it was the receiver so they sent me a new one and after my third I was still having the problems. I also went from component cable up to hdmi and neither made a difference.

I was wondering about the expensive surge protectors that have the built in power cleaner. I've seen them at Best Buy/Circuit City fo rlike $150 or so and it says it takes any interference out of the power and gives your system "clean" power (whatever that means). But if the problem may be electrical interference than is this a posible solution?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Do you have a friend with just a regular or HD receiver that you could borrow for thirty minutes or so and see if you have the still have the same problem. Sounds to me like this is just going to be isolating one thing at a time until you find the culprit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, I am also having the problem on other tv's as well on just a standard reciever, and like I stated, this was the third HD DVR receiver and it did it on all 3 so I don't think it could be the receiver. It's very frustrating! I wish they would just come out and start with a new dish, if it still happens then start with all nwe receivers, and if it still happens maybe run some new lines.

Thanks for all the input BTW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.