AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says...I purchased a Pioneer Elite BD player which is on its way as I type...I am having major remorse and not sure why....I tried a PS3, but it had to go for it did not like being in my equipment rack, so based on what I have read, the Pioneer Elite had the best picture....

I have been bummed that I have not seen any info regarding the software upgrades + the movie that made me purchase was The Descent. Of course, I am also interested in upgrades that will address Audio, etc...

I am just looking for kind words to ensure that I made a wise decision and did not throw out a ton of cash

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was unable to keep the PS3 for a couple of reasons :

1) Overheated in my rack to the point that it sounded as if a hairdryer was hidden in there

2) Unable to program my HTM remote - huge WAF - she said it goes or she does

3) I do not have an HDMI pre-pro, so I need to use a player that has analog outs

Thx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Based on everything I have read you did purchase the best 1st generation BD Player. The option to upgrade with software updates is what basically makes it worth the $500 or so you more you payed for it than the Sony BD Player would cost you. Pioneer is top of the line equipment, and you can never go wrong with them in my opinion.

I am holding off on getting the same player you bought, just because I want to make sure that I get the HDMI 1.3 capable. However the PS3 you got rid of is HDMI 1.3 capable, so maybe that won't be a big deal for you.

Overall I think you can't go wrong...BD pics. are phenomenal.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Even people who love/prefer the Panny Bd player (the one I own) have said that the Pioneer throws the best picture in the game. And it MSRP's for only a couple hundred more than the Panny.

Besides, isn't $700 to keep your wife in the house money well spent?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hays0023 /forum/post/0

As the title says...I purchased a Pioneer Elite BD player which is on its way as I type...I am having major remorse and not sure why....I tried a PS3, but it had to go for it did not like being in my equipment rack, so based on what I have read, the Pioneer Elite had the best picture....

I have been bummed that I have not seen any info regarding the software upgrades + the movie that made me purchase was The Descent. Of course, I am also interested in upgrades that will address Audio, etc...

I am just looking for kind words to ensure that I made a wise decision and did not throw out a ton of cash

Trust me you did not waste any money on this player. I have had it for exactly 1 month today and absolutley love it! Not one ounce of regret. This player is probably the best piece of AV equipment that I have ever purchased! As far as the issue with the Descent, drkrankz already posted that a firware update is in the works and should be available shortly, as well as a firware upgrade for Dolby TrueHD (As per a Pioneer rep at CES). Nothing yet on DTS-HD MA, but I would assume if we are getting Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA should follow shortly. You will not regret this decision...As soon as you see the PQ of this player and how flawless it operates, all of those doubts will go right out the door! Enjoy...

·
Registered
145 Posts
A new Pioneer Elite Blu-ray player is supposed to come out in a few months. That one should have all the stuff that's missing from the current player - new audio support, HDMI 1.3, better SD DVD scaling, bug fixes. I doubt that Pioneer will be putting too much effort into firmware fixes for the old player. Even at this stage, they're not exactly quick to provide new firmware. Just imagine what happens after the new player comes out. Sony has had their Descent fix for a while now, and nothing from Pioneer. Also, there's only so much that they can fix in firmware.

Unless the money is not a big deal for you, it makes sense to wait for new players. Better players which are also less expensive are coming very soon. Right now, you're an early adopter buying an over-priced under-performing product, and this won't feel like a good thing in a few months. I'm an early adopter too, but I realize that it's a very inefficient way of spending money. Basically, you're blowing a significant amount of money to watch a few Blu-ray movies a few months earlier than you would otherwise. It's up to you to decide if it's worth it. You can wait a few months and get a more solid product which will not become obsolete so quickly.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
NONE of the first gen BD players are perfect right out of the box.

What is most important to keep in mind is the promised FW updates.

For example, Panasonic has promised (in writing) to deliver all of the audio formats to their player.

No one that has dealt with them in the past doubts them on this.

FW is a form of future-proofing and a very important item to consider...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy /forum/post/0

A new Pioneer Elite Blu-ray player is supposed to come out in a few months. That one should have all the stuff that's missing from the current player - new audio support, HDMI 1.3, better SD DVD scaling, bug fixes. I doubt that Pioneer will be putting too much effort into firmware fixes for the old player. Even at this stage, they're not exactly quick to provide new firmware. Just imagine what happens after the new player comes out. Sony has had their Descent fix for a while now, and nothing from Pioneer. Also, there's only so much that they can fix in firmware.

Is this really true? I know that Sony + Samsung had announced their 2nd Gen at CES, but I did not think that Pioneer had announced anything new.

·
Banned
907 Posts
I was in the same boat...I had put 20% down on the Pioneer at Tweeter...Fortunately I can change my mind because the unit shipment keeps getting shoved back...I have decided to put that 20% down on the second Gen Pioneer unit coming later this year...
(Man, staying on the cutting edge sucks!)...

·
Registered
949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim75703 /forum/post/0

The option to upgrade with software updates is what basically makes it worth the $500 or so you more you payed for it than the Sony BD Player would cost you. Pioneer is top of the line equipment, and you can never go wrong with them in my opinion.

The Pioneer and Sony by all professional accounts I've read have identical performance. The Sony can certainly be updated...people have already done it.

·
Registered
16,427 Posts
However, will it be able to decode and output 8 channel TrueHD or DTS MA as LPCM or pass through 8 channel LPCM via HDMI? Both it and the Sony only have 6 channel analog outputs.

Dan

·
Premium Member
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken /forum/post/0

I was in the same boat...I had put 20% down on the Pioneer at Tweeter...Fortunately I can change my mind because the unit shipment keeps getting shoved back...I have decided to put that 20% down on the second Gen Pioneer unit coming later this year...
(Man, staying on the cutting edge sucks!)...

Yea, tell me about it, 4 times now tweeter has moved the delivery date the day before it is supposed to be here. I get my hopes up and then nothing. It was supposed to be here tomorrow and now the 26th and not the 22nd.

·
Banned
907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkaw /forum/post/0

Yea, tell me about it, 4 times now tweeter has moved the delivery date the day before it is supposed to be here. I get my hopes up and then nothing. It was supposed to be here tomorrow and now the 26th and not the 22nd.

Yep...same thing here in Atlanta area...My local store was supposed to have them tomorrow after 3 delays and now says the 26th and went further to say it may wind up being pushed to Feb 3th...There was a recall of alot of shipments for further testing...I called the Corporate offices.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
I am wondering is it that much better than the sony? Thats what I have now. Tempted to cancel the order but as soon as I do they will come in.

·
Banned
907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkaw /forum/post/0

I am wondering is it that much better than the sony? Thats what I have now. Tempted to cancel the order but as soon as I do they will come in.

It depends on how much you paid for the Pioneer...If you got it for 1199.99 then I'd go with the Elite...But if you paid 1499.99 I'd stay with the Sony...They are not very different.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman /forum/post/0

However, will it be able to decode and output 8 channel TrueHD or DTS MA as LPCM or pass through 8 channel LPCM via HDMI? Both it and the Sony only have 6 channel analog outputs.

Dan

The Sony will pass LPCM as 7.1 via HDMI. I guess that is what you were asking. I know it only has 5.1 analog outs.

I hope that it will get audio firmware upgrades for TruHD and DTS HDMA. I really don't care to much about the TruHD because there is only 1 (I think) blu ray disc with this audio format. With Fox using the DTS HD as their audio choice I NEED that audio decoded.

I would also be happy with every disc just putting LPCM 7.1 uncompressed audio as the track. It sounds incredible.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Phansson, that is the million dollar question....will the Sony be upgraded with TruHD + DTS HDMA? I could have sworn that I read posts saying that it would not be upgraded...any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Banned
907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson /forum/post/0

The Sony will pass LPCM as 7.1 via HDMI

I would also be happy with every disc just putting LPCM 7.1 uncompressed audio as the track. It sounds incredible.

Me too...When the Sony first came out before the upgrade, it would not do the back channels on 5.1 PCM+ modes on my receiver...I have read this is corrected...What about the Pioneer? Does it need a firmware upgrade to fix this also or has it worked out of the gate?

·
Registered
145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken /forum/post/0

Yep...same thing here in Atlanta area...My local store was supposed to have them tomorrow after 3 delays and now says the 26th and went further to say it may wind up being pushed to Feb 3th...There was a recall of alot of shipments for further testing...I called the Corporate offices.

Yes, that's what I was told as well. What happens to people who got their unit before the recall? It seems like they basically got screwed (unless the problem was introduced only in recent shipments, which seems doubtful).

I don't have much confidence in this product, and I don't really want a repaired recalled unit. I'm leaning strongly toward canceling my order and waiting for the 2nd generation player.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.