AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or, should I say, SpouseAF. She is completely content with a 32" RCA!!!!!!!!!

argggggggh

...any tips?:cool:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I recommend THREATS!

For example...

"Good news! I'm buying tickets to go to the Superbowl next year!" Then in 6 months mention that it would look better and cost less on an HDTV projector.

"I'm taking up FISHING!" This of course requires a boat and truck for about 30 grand.

Or take my approach and just don't tell her. :) Yes, it's a risk. But I spent my $2000 tax return on a fence for the backyard for her so I figure it's an even swap.

·
Registered
689 Posts
My wife had the same opinion: "Our TV is good enough."

Or at least she did until I dragged her into a Magnolia HiFi and showed her HDTV shooting out of an Infocus 7200. She was absolutely floored - stunned. It was definitely one of those "have to see it to believe it" things in her case. Now she believes it and has agreed that it's worth doing, although I've agreed to keep the PJ price down in the $3000 range which obviously rules out the 7200.

I'm leaning towards the HS10, although I have to admit I'm a little curious about the upcoming Goo projector that has been discussed in this and the screen forums during the past week or two. I'm also thinking that I may wait to purchase until fall when the weather necessitates more indoor activities. By then there may be a new batch of PJs to choose from, or at least lower prices on the current ones...

Good luck!

-tony

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I suggest asking her to go visit a good HiFi store with you that has a pj setup, preferably showing some HD, but DVD will do fine. My wife never got it until one day she reluctantly agreed to just stop in and look with me. She walked past a Pioneer Elite RPTV showing an HDTV demo loop, and she was hooked from that point on. Of course, she hated the big ugly box that cost $7K. It was actually her idea to check out the $2K pjs and we bought the Panny 300.

If that doesn't do it, you may be a little screwed. But when it's time to replace the 32", pj's will probably be the same or less than a new tube.

Or you could try to sell her on the benefits of having friends over to watch movies, and leave out the parts about the guys watching football.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unfortunately, just showing up with a four by eight piece of tile-board and saying this will be the size of our screen, won't meet with any WOW factor....hmmm, why is it that they don't seem to understand that a 100" diagonal is a "necessity"???

However, there is hope!

I snuck in a 500watt 5.1 surround audio reciever, homemade speaker stands, and five way DD/DTS sound and did get a pseudo approval factor...

Guess I'll have to sneak it into the basement, paint a screen and ceiling mount the thing before she get's home...and claim the store said "no returns"....

How many hours on the bulb before I'm out of the dog house?;) and can return to living upstairs?;)

·
Registered
28,087 Posts
My wife was another of those "Our 27-inch set is more than enough" types. She was dead set against me getting an RPTV because she was terrified of the 'big box'. She didn't want a big ugly thing in our apartment, especially not if we ever had to move with it.

I bought a projector and now suddenly she begs me to watch everything on the big screen. "American Idol is on tonight. Can we watch that on the big screen? Please!"

I think the 'big box' issue is the primary deterrent to WAF. You just have to emphasize to her, "Big big picture, tiny little box". Once she sees a projector in action, playing a movie or TV show that she likes to watch (not one of those big action movies that you may like but she hates), she'll get over her opposition real quick.

Big big picture, tiny little box.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:D :D :D Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :D :D :D

American Idol.....!!!.....never occured to me. That might just work!:D

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Who supplies the main income in the family?

If it is your money you will buy the PJ with then buy it. WTF is she going to do, divorce you because you bought something that you wanted that would make YOU happy? If you tell your wife having a pj would make you happy then if she loves you and cares about you she'll say OK.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
The situation would not be called "WAF" if this were not a very common problem.

Over the years, I have simply told my wife what I was going to do and then have done it. Since I do look for value and longevity I have some arguments. I also get things she wants (like DirecTivo, which is a real WAF-pleaser).

It may also help her to know that she is not alone, that her feelings are common and natural, though irrelevant.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Rlindo is obviously not married. Just saying FU I am going to get it and if you don't like it leave is not an option if you want to stay married. Divorce attorneys will eat you alive here in California.

The good news is, most wives appreciate the retractable screens and the small footprint of the new digital projectors. My wife was dead set against a projector and after a year of priming her to a point where she agreed give it a try, she now admits it is one of the best electronic gadgets I have ever purchased.

Next step is HDTV.

Good Luck,

Michael

·
Registered
689 Posts
PlasmicMike - your comment cracked me up. :)

IMH(etrosexual)O, the world's best home theater system and a pile of money a mile high both pale in comparison to the beauty of my wife.

p.s. will someone please forward this posting to my wife's e-mail address? It may be *just* what it takes to tip the scale from a white wall screen to a Stewart Firehawk. :)

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...the thing is, the kids LOVE the idea! [7 and 9]. however, a 3 to 1 vote isn't a victory.

"When we win the lottery", or "when we get that new addition", has been my answer.....I can't wait that long!:(

Let's see....I'll take a Panny300, a Dalite screen and two cases of Bud. To go.:cool:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I don't see "WAF" mentioned as much on the plasma forum. Perhaps Plasmas have built in WAF acceptance?

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
once you see "Friends" on a Plasma, I guess there's no turning back.

Sheeeeesh, I'm midle-age and I just wanna watch a few DVDs and Marg on CSI in HD on the big, big screeen!!!!!!!

Is that too much to ask?:(

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
2 years ago I did just about what Rlindo said. I decided that I hadn't been doing anything for myself the first 7 years of marriage. At least not nearly enough. I now have the sound all purchased and am hopefully weeks away from a pj. I basically got sick of seeing a QVC or similar box 3 times a week and getting nothing for myself.

Now we are both a bit happier since I'm not bugging her about the boxes and she doesn't get to bug me about the HT. When she saw the SV sub appear in the room, her eyes said "what the hell?" but I got no comment. She might have even seen my file of receipts once, but I'm not sure.

Oh, the kids are being clothed and fed first and the house and cars are in good order. That helps, too. So does having basically no credit card debt. (get out of them, I swear you'll be happier) I'm working out a loan for a pj and a jungle gym for the back yard. Guess which costs more?

·
Registered
28,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JPinTO
I don't see "WAF" mentioned as much on the plasma forum. Perhaps Plasmas have built in WAF acceptance?
Strangely, I think this is true. My wife was much more open to the idea of a plasma than an RPTV or projector... until she found out how much they cost, of course.

I don't know, I guess they just look cool or something.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
My 2 cents ... and what worked for me ...

Buy a 36" television ... a big, fat 600 pound Sony.

Then ask her to help you move it twice.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.