·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VCR =VHS , Video Cassette Player- Recorder

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
What about other equipment like amplifiers and receivers? I'd wonder about where the center speaker would go. Also, the height of the DVD and VCR can bother some people when inserting or removing media. Plan for future equipment so you don't obsolete a nice design.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some of the Cabinets will be without doors and will have black "Mesh" so speakers can be hidden behind them, not drawn yet or figured up yet

The height of the whole wall is not that high, I may be able to "get away" with having them just above the walled-in HDTV -- I could always have them on the shelves to the right or left ...

I have never set up a Home theater sound system and so far only have the DVD, VCR to match the system, and a suge-power stabilizer-Panamax 4300 "thing" ..hehe

What DO you suggest I also purchase and wire to be ready for the construction ?

Thanks for your help ... Phil

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I'd plan for a minimum of left, center, and right speakers, A/V receiver, dish or cable tuner, as well as the DVD player and VCR in the entertainment center. Take a look at some entertainment centers on the web. Some are at:

http://blackwelders.homefurnish.com/...dv2437ff1a381a

The members gallery here has lots of pictures of what others have done too. Lots of tips are available throughout the forum. Do a lot of reading before building if you can take the time. In fact, it would be good to have your equipment operating to your satisfaction before building. There's nothing quite as irritating as the desire for a new item that just won't fit in the cabinet.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Phil - I'm by no means an expert, but I do have a similar kind of custom AV center skirting my Elite 510 in my family room. Here are some brief comments/suggestions and a pic of my center so you can get an idea.

1) Definitely get some remote control blackout blinds to block those windows when using the system. You can get reasonably priced ones in a variety of sizes and colors (with blackout feature) from HunterDouglas over the web. Usually can get them custom ordered inside two weeks. I have three in this room and they're a lifesaver since my 510 is directly across from a huge bay window.

2) Heat, heat, HEAT!! Remember, all those amps, your RPTV and other components will generate a fair amount of heat when in use. In my case, having enclosed glass shelving made it more difficult to acheive adequate cooling. The solution I implemented was to drill 8-9 1.5" holes using a hole saw in the tops of the cabinets and then 6-7 slightly larger holes on the sides of the cabinets facing the monitor so they're not visible. I then drilled some large holes and installed 2 ultra-quiet "Silencer" fans from PC power and cooling (also available on the web) on top of each cabinet (4 total) and powered them all from a single 12V DC wall mount transformer hooked into an X10 module. This way I can turn them on and off using macros from my Pronto which ensures they're always on when they need to be. Using this design I'm pulling over 100cfm from the RPTV cavity, upward through my eq racks, and out the top of the unit in almost complete silence. IMO, dissipating heat is probably the most commonly overlooked aspect of designing a cabinet like yours. (The doors you have in front of the RPTV may be counter-productive in this area.) In any event, don't be afraid to drill some holes in unseen areas and use various other items to ensure a healthy flow of cool air. Spend some time thinking about it, and then come up with a reasonable plan and implement it.

3) I would defiinitely place the DVD and VCR along side the set, on either side and place the center speaker on a shelf directly above the set. Having a shelf is important since leaving a heavy speaker on your RPTV can eventually bow the frame inwards which will affect the mirror mounts and change the geometry of your picture.

4) If you have floor standing L/R speakers, be sure to leave enough room on either side. If they're the bookshelf variety, also make sure to leave enough room and adjustabl shelves never hurt.

5) Make sure to have plenty of at least 1" diameter hole between sections for running wires.

6) Definitely run wires in the walls to locations for EVERYTHING you think you couls possible need, and then some. Having extra wires in the walls is never a bad thing. Think about where your surrounds and sub will go, and other things like this and pre-wire for as many scenarios as possible.

That's all that comes to mind now. Remember to have some fun with it and there's no single way to do it to make it functional yet visually pleasing. Also, you might check over in the Home Theater bu8ilder forum which is dedicated to constructing a home theater, this is where I got many of my ideas.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have NOT purchased any speakers yet....

Any reasonably priced suggestions for a set - center, sub, R, L, Rears ?

Thanks for your help... Phil

·
Registered
348 Posts
Phil,

The "mesh" you refer to would be acoustic fabric. I am a professional cabinetmaker and we have done numerous entertainment units. One way we use acoustic fabric is to take a door frame like you would put glass in and put the fabric in it. That way you can put hinges on it and open it like a normal door. Another nice feature of acoustic fabric is that, in addition to being acoustically transparent, IR signals from your remotes will pass through it. There is a place on the East coast that offers acoustic fabric in about 30 different colors. I don't recall their name right now, but if you'd like to know, PM me and I'll look it up at my shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.