AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am living in duplex town house with a bedroom /TV upstairs and Home Theater downstairs. I have a PVC pipe in the wall that connects the 2 rooms. But the pipe is not that big.

My requirements is as follows:
1. I need internet down stairs
2. If I watch a movie in my bedroom and go downstairs I would like to be able to view it downstairs
3. And the opposite of 2... If I watch something downstairs I would like to have the ability to watch it upstairs.

Now I could simply run 2 HDMI cables (will have to be MICRO HDMI as normal connectors will not go through the pipe) through the pipe that it is a really right fit if I also need the either net cable through the pipe.

Is there any other way to have a bi direction video over eithernet... or is there a switch that I can use to do this... (Option 2 and 3 do not necessarily need to happen at the same time)? And is there any drawbacks in doing this?

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
What devices are the sources of these movies (disc players, DVRs, streaming boxes, smart TVs)? If DVRs, please give details on service provider and model numbers. Do these boxes playing the movies have dual HDMI outputs?

When you say you need internet downstairs, is that hardwired or wifi that you need? Do you not have a wireless router already?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What devices are the sources of these movies (disc players, DVRs, streaming boxes, smart TVs)? If DVRs, please give details on service provider and model numbers. Do these boxes playing the movies have dual HDMI outputs?

When you say you need internet downstairs, is that hardwired or wifi that you need? Do you not have a wireless router already?
Ok upstairs I have a PC HDMI as source and a TV as display. I would use an HDMI splitter to have the PC output split into 2 (1 for the upstairs TV and one to be view downstairs) The TV has multiple HDMI inputs.

Downstairs I have an ONKYO NXR 626 AV Receiver which has several HDMI inputs (so I would be able to view the PC through it) and 2 HDMI outputs of which one I would like to display on the TV upstairs and the other will be the TV downstairs.

I would like to have a hard wired internet downstairs. It is just that I have a few intelligent devices like my TV which does not have Wifi. The Onkyo do have Wifibut cannot render any video via the Wifi.

I know i might be asking for too much here but I just need to know what options do I have and what I can achieve here.:p

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
With PC sources, it's best to use extenders or clients that run XBMC, not HDMI. So all you need is one of those and a network cable. If you run HDMI, you have to deal with remote control as well (RF, IP or extended IR).

·
Registered
32 Posts
what is your source if you have your own libary or going build one i use western digital live one up stairs and downstairs in your case and network everything if it is live tv you can run a satilite boxes with an extender there is sling box and tv for over the air but it requires a subscription if you have a good broad band and there is roku and amazon fire all have there advantages as well apple tv and google chrome amazon for the yearly subscription you get free shipping and newer content roku you pay for netflix and hulu and a cuople of pay for view movie site for newer content try home theater geek podcast www.twitt.tv it maybe one t rather than 2

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With PC sources, it's best to use extenders or clients that run XBMC, not HDMI. So all you need is one of those and a network cable. If you run HDMI, you have to deal with remote control as well (RF, IP or extended IR).
The Onkyo downstairs has an app that can be controlled via my phone and I have a version of Vectir to control the PC from my phone.

Thanks will check it out:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts