2GB Corsair XMS RAM

Gigabyte GeForce 8500 GT

Vista Ultimate (SP1-RC1)

HDTV: Samsung DLP 46" @ 720p via DVI to HDMI

Codecs:

FFDSHOW (default settings) + Haali Media Splitter

AC3Fliter (S/PDIF @ 5.1)

THE PROBLEM:

Full screen video in WMC gets this really annoying flicker in contrast/brightness during mainly dark scenes in various formats (MKV, MPG2). I have confirmed it is a full screen issue with Media Center because it plays perfectly in Media Player Classic. The second I put Media Center in windowed mode the problem goes away.

Now, after adjusting the brightness settings on the NVIDIA driver in conjunction with some tweaking with the TV's video settings I have gotten rid of most of the flicker, but it's still there in small bursts and shows up worse in certain movies. The opening scene in 310 to Yuma for example. The problem is I end up with a much darker black level then I am used to.

I've tried multiple re-installs, many drivers, CoreAVC, even a diffrent mobo and video card, issue remains!

Here's a prime example:

The Newline logo splashes on the screen:

Right as the logo finishes it's animation it does this:

Now, this ONLY happens in full-screen. I'm on my 4th re-install of Vista, please help!

·
Banned
469 Posts
That has to do with the output levels. Go into FFDShow's video decoder configuration and check the levels box on the left side. Then check the box that says full range and set the sliders under input to 16-235. Keep the output sliders to 0-255. If this gets rid of it then we've narrowed down the problem and you should be able to do some searches on the forum and read up on this issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh man, I think that's put me on the right track! Still sort of does it, but a little more tweaking should do the trick. I'll post my results later tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts