AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello... I had a big long post written out and then when I went to post, vBulletin said NO YUO because there was a link in the post. Then I lost my whole post. That sucks.

Anyway here's the short and sweet version.

1) I have an RCA 40" Scenium with integrated DVD.

2) TV does 480i/p & 1080i

3) I'm in Toronto, Ontario, Canada with Rogers Cable.

4) I recently decided to shell out for the HDTV box ($15 / month rental & service). The box is a Scientific Atlanta 3100HD

5) I don't notice a big difference between regular analogue channel, regulatr digital channel, and hd channel.

For a given show (ER, CSI, etc) the HD version only looks _slightly_ better than the regular digital version, which in turn only looks _slightly_ (no static) better than the analoge version.

So what's up? Are these shows "faux" HDTV or something? Is my TV not actually very good? Is the 3100HD a ****** box? Am I not "good enough" to see the difference?

I was under the impression that HDTV would "BLOW ME AWAY OMIGOD OMIGOD!!!!!!!!!111111111111oneone" But so far I'm far from impressed.

So what's up?

Thanks!

-Cam

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Tell us how you have your box connected to the RCA. If you're using component cables, then it should give you a great HD picture.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I assume you are tuning in to the HD channel for the network, and not the analog channel number on your cable system.

That said, HDTV primetime shows, for the most part, are shot on 35mm film and then transferred to HDTV. Usually, sports or other live action shot with HDTV cameras will look best. If your cable lineup has a PBS or Discovery HDTV channel, I would have a look at that.

Additionally, if you are doing it right, 1) watching the correct channel through your box via component outputs, and 2) making sure your box is outputing 1080i (picture fills your 16:9 screen), then a show such as CSI in particular show blow away the SD version.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
Wromg forum, moved.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
Something is wrong. Either not correctly set up or connected.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys... I had more detail in the original post (the one that I lost) but I forgot to put it in...

Input - Device

CMP1 - 3100HD (using supplied component cables)

CMP2 - XBox

Vid1 - HDVR2 DirecTiVo

The HD picture is great, it just doesn't look that much "greater" and so far doesn't seem worth the $15 / month for me. I'll give it some time, maybe my expectations were too high.

I've tried watching some DiscoveryHD, but again, nothing is really "blowing me away." Maybe I just don't have a discerning eye.

The only time that I thought "wow, that's nice" was when watching CSI scenes after the commercials when they show the "strip" other than that, it was the same as watching the stupid-compressed DTV, or even the regular digital cable channel.

So to clarify:

1) The TV is using the component 1 input, which is in turn hooked to the 3100HD using component cables.

2) The box is outputting 1080i (I assume) as the picture is taking up the full screen.

I guess I'll just chalk this up to not being "discerning" enough?

Thanks for all the input, and for moving to the proper forum (sorry).

Cheers!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cwspen
Thanks for all the responses guys... I had more detail in the original post (the one that I lost) but I forgot to put it in...

Input - Device

CMP1 - 3100HD (using supplied component cables)

CMP2 - XBox

Vid1 - HDVR2 DirecTiVo

The HD picture is great, it just doesn't look that much "greater" and so far doesn't seem worth the $15 / month for me. I'll give it some time, maybe my expectations were too high.

I've tried watching some DiscoveryHD, but again, nothing is really "blowing me away." Maybe I just don't have a discerning eye.

The only time that I thought "wow, that's nice" was when watching CSI scenes after the commercials when they show the "strip" other than that, it was the same as watching the stupid-compressed DTV, or even the regular digital cable channel.

So to clarify:

1) The TV is using the component 1 input, which is in turn hooked to the 3100HD using component cables.

2) The box is outputting 1080i (I assume) as the picture is taking up the full screen.

I guess I'll just chalk this up to not being "discerning" enough?

Thanks for all the input, and for moving to the proper forum (sorry).

Cheers!
One thing to check would be to watch an HD network show and then switch to the SD channel of the same show. Should be a visible difference in clarity. Also, the SD channel should be either stretched or should be pillarboxed depending on your 4:3 setting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.