AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, getting closer to moving in with my girl now, so Im planning out two HT rooms when we get our house. The living room is pretty much set, the basement (dedicated HT room) is almost set. EXCEPT after looking at Art's setup and drooling after that a couple months I am now thinking of CRT projector, I was originally thinking of a decent DLP one.


So enough rambling, I tried searching to start off learning about CRT projectors, but having a bunch of trouble. Is there a thread around here that I missed that could help someone new into this realm at all? So far all that I can gather is that I'll most likely be looking for an 8" crt, the Marquee's look tempting, but really whats a good start, where can I get the info without diving head first?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,503 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty much what I was looking for thank you Curt goes much appreciated. Any other information is still wanted, especially on certain models now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,503 Posts
I think you're on the best place to look.. right here..:)


There's a search engine on the top here that you can use to pull up posts on various models. A while back there was a long long long thread of what the best CRT projector is, perhaps someone can post a link.


Curt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol still busy reading your webpage Curt, but I love this information Clarence, this is extremely helpful. As each word I read more and more I am getting a CRT projector, screw DLP.


A question so far though, and again excuse my ignorance in this realm. As far as a transcoder and scaler are involved, with its output is it a bnc connector or still rca? If its the latter then would an RG-6 cable with a rca compression fitting on one and the other end a bnc compression fitting work at all? If its both then of course it isnt a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJLaletas
Lol still busy reading your webpage Curt, but I love this information Clarence, this is extremely helpful. As each word I read more and more I am getting a CRT projector, screw DLP.


A question so far though, and again excuse my ignorance in this realm. As far as a transcoder and scaler are involved, with its output is it a bnc connector or still rca? If its the latter then would an RG-6 cable with a rca compression fitting on one and the other end a bnc compression fitting work at all? If its both then of course it isnt a problem.
Typically CRT PJs want RGBHV (red, green, blue, horiztal sync, vertical sync). That's 5 cables and 5 connectors at the PJ. The usual connection is BNCs. RGBHV can also be transmitted via a VGA or (D15) connector. Some PJs accept VGA input. A VGA on one end and 5 BNC (RGBHV) on the other is called VGA breakout cable. There are some PJs that accept component, S-video and even composite. The component and composite might be RCA on the PJ. In general, most component connections I've seen on equipment is RCA.


The transcoder takes component input (3 connectors/cables) and converts it to RGBHV. A scaler may also perform this function or it may not. It depends on the scaler. BNC is a stronger, more secure connection than RCA. I'm assuming RCA connectors are true 75ohm connectors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAW
Typically CRT PJs want RGBHV (red, green, blue, horiztal sync, vertical sync). That's 5 cables and 5 connectors at the PJ. The usual connection is BNCs. RGBHV can also be transmitted via a VGA or (D15) connector. Some PJs accept VGA input. A VGA on one end and 5 BNC (RGBHV) on the other is called VGA breakout cable. There are some PJs that accept component, S-video and even composite. The component and composite might be RCA on the PJ. In general, most component connections I've seen on equipment is RCA.


The transcoder takes component input (3 connectors/cables) and converts it to RGBHV. A scaler may also perform this function or it may not. It depends on the scaler. BNC is a stronger, more secure connection than RCA. I'm assuming RCA connectors are true 75ohm connectors.
Well im not as ignorant as I like to say with the CRT FP's, im aware of bnc connectors, vga break outs and the like. My main question is the conversion the the RGBHV signal is the output with a bnc connection or rca? and if it is with rca is the normal procedure to put a bnc compression fitting on the other end to fit the projector?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,503 Posts
I stay away from SVGA and RCA connectors wherever possible. Use as you need to, but BNC is always preferred. I just invested bucks into proper fittings and crimpers for the RCA and BNC ends. THe cable will break before the ends snap off..:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme
I stay away from SVGA and RCA connectors wherever possible. Use as you need to, but BNC is always preferred. I just invested bucks into proper fittings and crimpers for the RCA and BNC ends. THe cable will break before the ends snap off..:)
As I assumed. Just wired some RG-6 cable for my sub with rca compression fittings, works like a charm, only way to get them off with.......God? Again thanks for the info and advice so far, and of course one can never had enough info, so any more will go much appreciated.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top