1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought this tv:

Toshiba 40" 1080p LCD HDTV (E210U)

At best buy

And when I got it, the picture quality was absolutely atrocious. It looked pretty decent when you played dvds on it but for regular channels, it sucked.

How is this possible? My other tv which is an LG 720p 26" lcd TV can perform better than the toshiba for regular channels, it seems weird.

Can anybody offer me any insight into this matter?

·
Registered
113 Posts
how are you connecting to the tv signal? over the air antenna?

cable?

Telephone company?

if cable. do you connect thru a digital box? or direct coax to back of TV?

if digital box. coax to box and either HDMI, component or HDMI>DVI cables?

define atrocious. Pixelated? grainy? fuzzy?

regular broadcast signal is only 480i so that gets converted by your TV to 1080p

garbage in, garbage out as the saying goes.

i have found decent results connecting via a digital box and either HDMI or DVI>HDMI cables.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blintok /forum/post/20897779

how are you connecting to the tv signal? over the air antenna?

cable?

Telephone company?

if cable. do you connect thru a digital box? or direct coax to back of TV?

if digital box. coax to box and either HDMI, component or HDMI>DVI cables?

define atrocious. Pixelated? grainy? fuzzy?

regular broadcast signal is only 480i so that gets converted by your TV to 1080p

garbage in, garbage out as the saying goes.

i have found decent results connecting via a digital box and either HDMI or DVI>HDMI cables.

My cable company is roggers

I'm using cable

I believe i'm using direct coax to back of tv. It's coax of back of tv to digital box. I don't believe it's hdmi or dvi.

Atrocious: pixelated, grainy and fuzzy.

How do i make it 480i and not convert from 480i > 1080p then?

My digital box doesn't have an hdmi port. It's not an hd cable box. Before, I don't believe we had any problem like this with the old LG tv. Just wondering what's wrong with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 /forum/post/20898059

garbage in garbage out

upgrade to a hd box and connect with a hdmi cable

change tv to Movie or Cinema mode

The thing is though that the last tv we had had a much better picture quality right out of the box. It had a max 720 p resolution. I'm not sure why this tv has a worse picture quality output though.

·
Registered
722 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the TV, it's just a lousy signal. Change the coax connection to a composite video (yellow, red, white) and adjust the picture settings to your liking. LCD TV's in general are the worst displays for viewing standard definition broadcasts. Your previous TV was considerably smaller in size so you didn't notice the lousy picture as much.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You're stretching the same picture from 26" to a 40" signal. What did you expect would happen?

It only looked better because the picture was smaller. Now you've stretched the same 480i signal to the size of your new TV. It's just like blowing up a photo. If you blow it up too large with a low resolution source, it's going to look like garbage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.