AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 744 Posts

·
Banned
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The Harry Potter movies came out just a few months before Warner dropped HD-DVD, so it's not good that they were having problems that late in the game. I've checked a number of discs including Unforgiven, Last Samurai and The Getaway and those seem fine. I've been chapter-skipping, letting it play a few seconds of the next chapter then skipping to the next one, and the bad ones have always froze at some point trying to get to the next chapter. I then let those play from the beginning and it still froze up around the same point. There may be minor defects on others that won't freeze up the player by chapter skipping, but at least this way I can catch the really bad ones now rather than later.

ALL my discs were bought brand-new and sealed, and I couldn't see anything wrong with the playing surface of the discs either. Oddly I did get one of the "Sopranos" discs looking a bit funny, but I watched that all the way through right away and had no problems with it.

·
Banned
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just found five more bad ones- Viva Las Vegas won't load at all, had TWO copies of Blood Diamond which pixellate during the opening of the movie, Robin Hood, The Wild Bunch, and Purple Rain- all those go bad 40-50 minutes into the movie.

·
Banned
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
And the hits just keep on coming! First non-Warner AND combo title, The Good Shepherd- HD side won't load at all. Back on the Warner side, BOTH discs of Alexander Revisited glitch and freeze about 25 minutes into each one (the movie is split on 2 discs) and disc 1 of the Blade Runner set. Fortunately Amazon still has these rather cheap- will watch them as soon as they get here and hopefully be able to exchange them if there's any further problems. (They showed a record of my having ordered a couple of these previously, but says I'm outside the return window.)

Checked all my single-disc single-sided Warner discs now, just have a few multi-disc and combos to check. Will also be checking all the dual-layer Universal HD combos. (Most of the early combo discs were single-layer on the HD side.)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 /forum/post/20401033

Probably simply a manufacturing defect specific to certain batches/manufacturing plants.

That's been my theory too. I ran into three defective Mutiny On The Bountys and the 4th plays without a problem.

Wow, I'm surprised and sorry to hear about the number of disc errors some of you are reporting. My experience to date has shown limited failures as I reported on another thread here recently. I bought a large lot of discs recently that I'm slowly going through but so far so good. (fingers crossed!)

·
Registered
21 Posts

That's been my theory too. I ran into three defective Mutiny On The Bountys and the 4th plays without a problem.

But who can promise us, that this Disc works still 3 months from now? If the discs are detoriating, the point of unplayability will not be reached exactly at the same moment...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterfilmnarr /forum/post/20408825

If the discs are deteriorating...

I would say that's a big IF with the information at hand. My experience is that those that produce playing errors do so out of the gate. I've had discs that I have played many times over the last 3 or 4 years now without a hitch. The MOTB that plays without error I bought used.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I for myself watched "Blood Diamond" two years ago - today it's unplayable...

There are also claims from users in German forums, with same experiences.

To be honest: I hoped for myself, that what You suggest is the case, but now I get insecure.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterfilmnarr /forum/post/20409332

I for myself watched "Blood Diamond" two years ago - today it's unplayable...

There are also claims from users in German forums, with same experiences.

To be honest: I hoped for myself, that what You suggest is the case, but now I get insecure.

I can see what you mean. This is the first I'm hearing that discs that did play previously now do not, something I've never experienced either. Interesting.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I noticed that one person posted their players that they're having problems on, and they were all 1st generation players. I'm wondering if people running into these problems have multiple generations of players and still have the problems. I have an A2, A35, BH200 and a computer drive hooked up, and I've noticed that if I've had playback problems on one player, it would work in a different generation model.

For instance, I couldn't get a couple discs of Battlestar Galactica to load on the A35, but they played fine on the BH200. On the other hand, American Gangsters wouldn't play on the BH200, but would on the A35. I wonder if the lasers used in each generation have different sensitivities...

I won't say this is the problem, just pointing out something that I have noticed. I did have a disc that I purchased from the Warner blow-outs years ago have a "layer" peeling off of one edge, about 1/2" into the center of the disc, and it wouldn't play all the way through, but that's been my only bad one. Luckily it was a combo, so I was at least able to watch the last 20 minutes in DVD format...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, I sold that stuff in our shop, and was always in contact with the TOSHIBA distributor, and always "up to date". XE1 was the last (and BEST) machine...

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 /forum/post/20405325

What firmware are you guys using? Have you tried updating or rolling back?

I have an HTPC with an LG GGCH20L HD/BD combo drive & I'm using a secondary drive (x360 HD) too(with the latest firmware).My software players:Totalmedia 3 & PowerDVD7.

My Blood Diamond Disc was perfect when I've bought It,but I'm not able to watch It anymore.I've never was any trouble with my HD discs.This is the 1st case and I don't understand what caused this.

Ok,here's my theory:

Maybe It was a bad print and somehow It has been damaged (or rotted) under a few years.It sounds to me logical.

This mistake is unacceptable from Warner & any other Distributor who really (?) want to sell their catalogue titles for costumers.I paid a lot of money for these movies and I wanted to watching them for many years.

I hope my BDs will not repeat this errors because I'll not buy movies in the future (on any optical formats) anymore.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty /forum/post/20409917

I can see what you mean. This is the first I'm hearing that discs that did play previously now do not, something I've never experienced either. Interesting.

Not interesting.It's a really sad thing...

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule /forum/post/20407687

Back on the Warner side, BOTH discs of Alexander Revisited glitch and freeze about 25 minutes into each one (the movie is split on 2 discs)

Mine is working without errors.

I'll check my all HD discs in the next few days.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, a few days ago I opened up a thread in the German "cinefacts" forum.

The users there are now also checking their discs. If we put together the titles mentioned here and there, we can assume, that almost pretty every WARNER title is in question...

That makes me very nervous.

The only good news is, that WARNER's customer Service invited me to send them my defective discs for evaluation/exchange.

But at the end I fear, that it's only a matter of time, that we have to say "good bye" to the rest.

·
Registered
65,614 Posts
Holy F! My mother back in El Salvador, to whom I gave a Toshiba player with dozens of HD-DVD (and DVD) movies back in 2008, checked her "Blood Diamond" HD-DVD a few days ago (she told me last night over Skype) just because she wanted to see a Leo DiCaprio movie after seeing her "Catch Me If You Can" DVD for the umpteen millionth time. This was totally unrelated to the recent scare here, she just did this on her own. Mom saw the movie a few years ago and it played fine, but this past weekend "Blood Diamond" would't boot-up or play at all on her Tosh player (A3 model).

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I recently purchased a lot of 70 new, sealed HD DVDs which included Blood Diamond. I finally watched it today without a stall or sputter. This was a sealed case but these don't appear air-tight to me.

So what is the proposed mechanism of this aging failure? If age alone is the problem, then wouldn't this disc already be unplayable? Do you surmise it is the combination of time and some laser exposure? Though it seems a bit fantastic that a disc which has been watched a couple of times previously now is unplayable after a few years, just because it sat in the case.

I'm trying to keep an open mind folks but just don't understand what might be going on here. Obviously some people are experiencing something amiss, but I don't understand why this wouldn't be something more widely acknowledged on a site like AVS and elsewhere.

·
Banned
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I've had a few regular DVDs go bad and either not play at all or stutter and glitch periodically (titles were: Boogie Nights original 1998 DVD manufactured by Panasonic won't play at all, Halloween 4 made by Crest National stopped playing, and Training Day made in Canada by an unknown manufacturer (possibly Warner?) now glitches on the 2nd layer.) Of course a number of laserdiscs have developed video noise after a few years too- my copy of "Heavy Metal" made by Sony DADC played perfectly when I got it, but now has lots of analog noise. I've gotten several other discs second-hand from that manufacturer with laser rot also. I don't know if these HD-DVDs ever would have played properly had I gotten to them sooner.

Alterfilmnarr- who at Warner did you contact (and was it in the US or elsewhere?) I just got an email back from Warner in Burbank saying they would only take back my bad discs if I had the receipts, and ONLY the ones bought from traditional stores, not any from Amazon Marketplace or Ebay sellers even if they were still sealed. This is making me VERY angry- dead format or not, there's no excuse for this many discs not playing properly, and they should remedy any bad discs out there regardless of where I bought them (as long as they weren't stolen and aren't bootleg copies)!

·
Registered
21 Posts
 [email protected]

It is the German customer support, and to be honest, I was quite surprised about the quick positive response...

On the other side I fully understand Your feelings about the answer You've got.

If I would have received such statement, I would sure find a way to make more "rumble" in our print media...

Yes sure, after two years (here in Europe) they are not really bound to react - BUT that's what I really expect from a company, to which I gave many thousands

of for my big LP, CD, DVD etc collection during the las 40 years...

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty /forum/post/20419641

I recently purchased a lot of 70 new, sealed HD DVDs which included Blood Diamond. I finally watched it today without a stall or sputter. This was a sealed case but these don't appear air-tight to me.

So what is the proposed mechanism of this aging failure? If age alone is the problem, then wouldn't this disc already be unplayable? Do you surmise it is the combination of time and some laser exposure? Though it seems a bit fantastic that a disc which has been watched a couple of times previously now is unplayable after a few years, just because it sat in the case.

I'm trying to keep an open mind folks but just don't understand what might be going on here. Obviously some people are experiencing something amiss, but I don't understand why this wouldn't be something more widely acknowledged on a site like AVS and elsewhere.

...because chemical interaction can go on veeeery slowly. What about the glue between the layers???

21 - 40 of 744 Posts