AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having problems trying to use two xbox 360s, on one router or network. I have set my 360 up in my house with a wired ethernet connection and it works great with xbox live. Then when my brother in law brings his 360 over the 360 it says it cant dectect my network. Basically just swapping 360s and using the same ethernet cable that ive been using just fine,still wont work. I ve googled it and everyone says to set the router up differently and to set static ips on the xboxs. Not sure how to do that and dont want to screw them up. They have both been updated to nxe don't know if that matters.I'm using a belkin N Wireless router. I understand we need to xbox live gold accounts. Thanks

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
problem is that they're both trying to access the same ports for XBL, and a lot of routers have issues with that, most routers you can't even forward duplicate ports to different IP's.... you can try disabling the SPI/NAT temporarily and see if that works

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Well I use two 360's in the same house on the same router and it works fine. Now one is wired and the other is wireless as well as 3 pc's and 2 ps3's. Never had a problem with any of them not working.

But I remember right for wireless you have to change the mtp setting in your router on some because they are not set up properly for live.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah were trying to hook up both threw wired connections.One is a cross over cable and the other is a regular patch cable I heard it doesnt matter on the 360 which you use. Could that be the problem?

·
Registered
554 Posts
The crossover cable thing seems a bit strange. I would just use normal Cat5 cable to be sure. We have five wired 360s in the house and had some issues with connecting multiples at once until I set up all of them with manual IP addresses through the router and opened up the ports on those particular IP addresses. The ports are 80 and 3074 and all my NATs read open now. Good luck !!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do I open the ports up to the 360s? I have tried using the manuel settings for the ip address and set them up different but to no avail. The second 360 we have never been able to connect to live even if it plugs straight into the modem. Could this be a bad 360?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi.

If I am reading you right, you say your 360 works fine, then when you swap it out with your brothers 360 you get no network connection.

This makes me think that you need to take a look at how the networking is configured on your brothers 360.

He might have a static IP address assigned to his xbox, and that IP address might not be compatible with your routers DHCP server IP address range.

If you change his settings to the same as yours (which probably means dynamic IP allocation) it might work.

Thought it was worth mentioning, as there may not be anything actually wrong with your setup.

How does he connect his 360 at his own home?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Some routers will have NAT OPEN for both systems at the same time. It is seriously the luck of the draw. Remember you can also always get a cheap switch and that would solve the problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My brother in law doesn't have live set up at his house so it's never been connected yet. Even if we take the router out of the equation and hook his 360 directly to the modem no luck. When we test it the 360 comes back immediatley that it cant detect a network. It's like it's not even trying. We bought a switch from wally world and doesn't help at all. maybe his 360 is jacked up?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'm running multiple 360's connected to my home network via wired connections on Live at the same time without any issues, using the default settings on the consoles, and having my router set to perform the DHCP (assigning of IP addresses) on both the wired and wireless sides.

Also have several PC's running at the same time - no problems.

Maybe you're right, his 360 may be having issues. As recommended above, I'd ditch the crossover cable for starters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts