AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've done every day since I pre-ordered the PLV-Z1, this morning I logged into my dealer's website to check on my open order.

Lo and behold I have no open order...it has shipped!!! A full two weeks before I expected it to. I can finally stop envying all you Euros and Canadians, maybe I'll even read the manual now.

Happy Thanksgiving indeed!:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mine will be here Friday. Whats your setup? YOu using a HTPC? I'm not at this point, but may look into it. I'd be interested to see what people with HTPC's think.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Conga-rats on your purchase! :D Of course a review will be in order, and I hope the only turkey this weekend for you will be on the dinner table :D :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine shipped ground UPS, no tracking info yet. Those guys in brown shorts don't get holidays off do they?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will be receiving my Sanyo PLV-Z1 on Monday or Tuesday and try to get a review and pics up although my digital camera feels like it's ancient (1.3 megapixels). This is my first front projection unit although I have had a 48" RPTV in the past. I have a low end JVC progressive scan player which I will try with the Z1 and will try also setting up my computer to see how it looks for DVD playing through the VGA input. I also have a RCA DTC-100 HDTV receiver which I will try with both VGA input for HD-NET, HD-HBO, HD-Showtime, and local digital channels in Phoenix, AZ (accept for those *******s at the Meredith Corp. owned local CBS affiliate which won't pass through HD signals). I will also try the regular analog DirectTV channels with the s-video input although I know they won't look very good. I also have an Xbox with HD adapter, PS2 with component cable, and Gamecube. Unfortunately I don't have the HD adapter for the Gamecube as it looks like you have to special order it from Nintendo directly. One other connection I will try is my JVC S-VHS VCR using s-video connection although I know it probably won't look that great either. I will probably be projecting around an 80" diagonal screen and will be sitting about 11-12 feet away from the screen. However I will vary the screen size to see how much screen door I can take at the distance away from the screen mentioned. I am just going to buy an el cheapo Parkland Plastics screen to start with to see how it looks and go from there. I'll try defocusing slightly to see if it is an acceptable way to deal with screen door on the Z1 as alot of ae100 owners have mentioned that it has worked for them in the past. If anyone has anything else they would like me to try, please let me know.:)

·
Registered
384 Posts
It looks like you have all of they toys!!!!! I'm really looking forward to your impressions with HDTV and XBox. Both of which are high priorities for me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Recieved my Z1 today :) , replaces my broken AE100. No time to try it yet though, just unpacked it to see that the unit was functional. Will hook it up and try it tomorrow. Too bad the lens is even more short throw than the AE100, will have to modify my DIY mount to move it a couple of inches towards the screen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I will hopefully "be together" with my love on monday... Got my tracking number for the Z1 yesterday... it's on its way. Weeeeeeee.

Does anyone know which screen is best for this pj?

Euroscreen, Draper? 16:9 or 4:3?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thor,

I'm probably going to purchase the Matinee 1 HD / Z1 next week from Studio Experience. I plan on matching this PJ up with a Da-lite 16:9 screen (High Contrast Cinema Vision - 1.3 gain). After months of research, I think this would be the best screen for the 1 HD / Z1 or Sony HS-10.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ITS HERE!!

DHL just came, opened up the box! NICE!! first Impressions. Wow is this thing sexy! & Where are some cables? The latter not that big of a deal as who uses bundled cables. Anyway, threw it on the rack, pulled the screen. And for 700 ANsi this thing does fine (Switching from a 1800 ANSI projector). My set up, has my screen directly in front of a bank of windows with pulldown blinds. So light leaks around the blinds and the edges of the screen. The projector does fine. The initial settings are with everything at 50% (Brightness. Contrast). The only downside is (for me). MAN IS THIS THING A SHORT THROW. For some you're going to love that. I'm seated 15' from the screen, the projector is to my right. I'm going to have to move the screen forward 2-3 feet to hit the 106" diagonal that i want. Right now the throw is ridiculous. I'll post pics of everything later today. I am going to run out and buy some screen hooks to move my model B forward. Just wanted to give the update!

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Nice. Can't wait to get some impressions from you.

Oh and I am one of those guys who desires a short throw.:) My room was basically designed with a short throw pj (currently use ae100) optomized because I have a nice bulkhead where the pj is that is about 11-12.5 feet from the screen. Room is 20.5x14. Screen is 106" diagonal

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well it looks as if kiomon and I got our PLV-Z1s from the same place. DHL delivered mine as well about an hour ago.

Here are my thoughts with the caveats being that I don't have very good light control and the factI have seen very few projectors.

First off - brightness. At 2:30 p.m. with just vertical blinds for light control, the projector looked pretty good. I can tell that it will look so much better tonight when it gets dark.

Screendoor. Sitting eight and half feet away, screendoor is evident in brighter scenes. Eleven feet back it becomes lee apparent. Still there, but not intrusive.

Color. I think the color is very good. Bright, saturated and beautiful.

Contrast. It is much better than I thought it would be. I'll be able to give a better opinion the evening.

Fan noise. I was sitting no more than two feet from it, so it was loud. Then I discovered the econo mode. The picture brightness decreased 10% to 15% and the fan noise was more than cut in half. Very cool.

I'm very pleased with my purchase. It seems to beat the Sharp M20X that I had for an evening, which I returned because I discovered that I am very sensitive to rainbows.

I do notice slightly less black blacks between the Sharp and Sanyo, but it's not day and night. Keep in mind I saw the Sharp at night and the Sanyo in the day - sort of day and night after all :)

Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures this evening.

Thank you all for the invaluable information that I have gained from reading this forum.

Herb

·
Registered
170 Posts
By the way...

If any of you have suggestion/advice about the best way to take a screenshot, please let me know. I have a Canon G1 3 megapixel camera that should do the trick. I do want to make sure that my setting are right so as to give an acurate (as possible) idea of what this little projector is capable.

Thanks again,

Herb

·
Registered
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Herb

Screendoor. Sitting eight and half feet away, screendoor is evident in brighter scenes. Eleven feet back it becomes lee apparent. Still there, but not intrusive.
What sized screen? What source?

tia

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oops! DVD (Panny RP82) progressive is the source. The projector is about 7.5' from the wall. i don't know the size of the picture. This was a temporary setup that is being changed at the moment. Measurement and pictures to follow later tonight - hoepfully.

Herb

·
Registered
49 Posts
screen shots screenshots screenshots :) lol

by he way please take screenshots of real movies with real actors :) not always toystory, monster inc etc etc :) lol

ans some animation if you have some (like ghost in the shell, princess mononoke or other japanese animation.).

maybe some pictures of 4/3 letterbox dvd zoomed to take advantage of the complet 16/9 panel :)

thank you a lot :)

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.