AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haze doth raise parlays & surveys to appraise displays (i.e. new TV recommendations?)

It looks like almost no one reads (or at least responds to) the stickied "recommendation" thread, so I'm going to try posting this here. Okay, my old 50 inch Sony SXRD model has finally fallen victim to the “green glob” / “yellow haze” problem that the model is known for, similar to another poster I just saw recently, and many other people before that. Hence, looks like I’ll be looking for a new TV. For budget, I’d prefer to let the features (or lack of same in some cases) help dictate the price more than anything else. I’ll put somewhere on the order of $1000 as a placeholder target for now, but could perhaps go as high as $3000, provided there’s a really good reason for the extra expense.

For size, to go in the place of the old TV, I’d likely end up with about a 55 inch, larger than the current 50; the speaker “wings” on the SXRD will allow some extra space compared to the actual current screen area. Also, I’d be sitting around 10 feet away.

For usage, it would largely be for HD TV shows and Blu-rays. I also play a number of video games, so input lag is a concern. I don’t tend to play things like first-person shooters, where lack of delay is extremely vital, but there is nonetheless the occasional quick-time event or precision platform jump or the like where delay can have an effect. Essentially, I’d prefer to keep delay on the lower side of things. More rarely, I occasionally may stream a video from my computer to the TV using the game console.

The room lighting is primarily in a darkened room. I have a lamp behind the current TV to provide some bias lighting.

So, overall, my primary concerns are picture quality (deep blacks, rich colors, etc.) and reasonably low lag.

A quick note on plasmas: While they admittedly have a very good picture quality for the environment it would be in, I'd nonetheless prefer to avoid plasma models, if for no other reason than the technology is essentially on the way out. Also, I understand they still have some minor image retention issues compared to LED, although nowhere near what earlier models used to. Nonetheless, hearkening to the gaming mentioned above, there likely would be a health bar or some other static display that would be onscreen for lengthy periods, so switching say to a cutscene might cause a lingering aftereffect. (On a side note, the SXRD seems to have developed a minor retention issue along with the glob that it didn't before. It will have a faint yellow-tinged afterimage on occasion, resulting from the blue colour block being unable to update the screen properly. I'm already finding that somewhat annoying.)

Other factors:

• Sound: Not an issue for the TV. Nothing would be going directly into the TV anyway, but rather into the 5.1 receiver.
  • Edge-lit, full array, etc.: I suppose this would come down to a picture quality vs. price tradeoff kind of thing. As I understand it, the full arrays models tend to provide a better picture, but cost more. I’m just looking for recommendations at this point in time, so I’d have to leave the final decision on this until later.
  • “Smart” features: Not particularly interested. I don’t presently use Netflix or the like; if I did, I could easily get it through the game console or otherwise. Those sort of apps on the TV would end up mostly unused. If some money can be saved by trimming out some of these features, great.
  • 3D: Again, don’t really care. Would likely not really be used. I don’t presently have anything in the way of 3D content. Also, another member of the household has some vision problems and can’t really see 3D effects properly, at least in theatres anyway. Going with a non-3D TV would be an excellent way reduce the price.
  • 4K: Not interested. From the size and distances I stated earlier, you wouldn’t be able to discern the higher resolution from 1080p. There’s also basically no 4K material available yet, and certainly none that I presently have access to. Also, I rather expect that the upconversion process from 1080p to 4K would introduce some noticeable lag to the picture, which as I’ve said above I’d like to keep lower.
  • OLED: Mmmmmmaybe. From what little I’ve read, it seems to have the good picture quality I’d like and reasonably low lag in the LG 55EC9300 model. It is new technology and currently only available from LG (at least locally), though, so there are still questions about longevity and so forth. I didn't think I'd care for the curved screen, but having seen it in person, it's not that bad, especially compared to the curved Samsung models. Out of anything, this could potentially be the thing to bear out the higher price, but I honestly don’t know if it’s worth the 3 to 5 times higher price. Also, I've read some reviews that mention it have some image retention issues similar to plasma models, which could be problematic for gaming, as mentioned above.

So, there you have it. I appreciate any sort of recommendations you may be able to make.

·
Registered
16,792 Posts
4K: Not interested. From the size and distances I stated earlier, you wouldn’t be able to discern the higher resolution from 1080p. There's also basically no 4K material available yet,
Too bad that wisdom isn't shared by the vast majority of 'numbers' fans (the more the better marketing play) here.
Unfortunately, with the CEA mentality, features and numbers along with incorrect marking terms, sell product. To get (supposed) better PQ, unused, unwanted 'gimmick' features are part of the package.

(Good post BTW, where have you been in the past 11 years?? ;) )

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(Good post BTW, where have you been in the past 11 years?? ;) )
Mostly enjoying my SXRD (until recently), I suppose. ;) I don't tend to follow the A/V scene much until it's time to upgrade. Heck, I only recently got a Blu-ray player, in that said functionality is included in the XBOne. Previously, the TV/DVD player combo I had did a pretty decent job of upscaling, so I didn't bother. I don't think I could go back to SD channels on the cable box, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts