AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the old Infinity IL-40 towers, 36c center channel and surrounds and was considering replacing them with the HSU HB1 MK2 system but I am not sure if this is really much of an upgrade or not. The price seems to be right with only $129 a speaker and the reviews seem to be glowing. I guess my question before I pull the trigger is whether the HSU's are that much of a sound upgrade or not. I would be pushing this with a vsx-1019 receiver and a svs 12" sub to fill out the bass.

Thanks!

·
Registered
750 Posts
The IL40 and 36C are some nice, older speakers. There are still a number of people who have them (or just got them!) on these forums. Not sure if the HSU will be a significant upgrade.

What sub are you using? What improvements are you looking for? Better music? Better movies?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking for better movies. For some reason the speakers don't seem to "pop" like they used to and I think part of that is the vsx-1019 doesn't have the power to drive them like the HK avr-7000 I had that died recently. I was thinking the extra sensitivity of the HSU's would make up for the lack of my perceived amp power. Although I am not sure if that is what is causing the speakers to not sound like they used to or the fact that I now have them in a 19x19 room. The Sub i have is the SVS pb12-nsd, which I LOVE (so much so that I am going to get another early next year).

·
Registered
19,804 Posts
You are thinking about using bookshelves to replace a tower?

The Harman Kardon does a better job driving speakers than

the Pioneer. The Boston VR1 & VR3 towers at onecall.com are

93db sensitive. The VR1 has a Christmas price of $300 a pair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.