AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't really been watching much HD lately. Why? Most of the stuff on Showtime and HBO I just don't care to see. I think its because over half the day its filled with shows that aren't in HD. I would hope that in the future they seperate those channels so that the content they show is autonomous to the non-HD channels. This way it will be true HD 24x7. Any positive or negative thoughts on this idea?

· Registered
1,876 Posts
Chap,

I'm having trouble understanding your proposal. HBO HD is already seperated on ch 509 on DirecTV isn't it ? At least on my setup it is. Where do you see HD and NTSC versions mixed? We have absolutly no HD on cable so all HBO is NTSC.

· Registered
545 Posts
I don't need a separate SHOW-HD and HBO-HD channel. I need all of show

and HBO to be HD.

And everything else, for that matter. I need the dog channel in HDTV.

I need NTSC to die, die die. I have spent way to much of my life studying,

repairing and watching that system. Did you know that NTSC was based

on user tests of the MINIMUM watchable quality ?

· Registered
9,224 Posts
I don't see what some people expect. There is simply not enough content to run a 24/7 HD movie channel. Unless you want the same things over and over. With the exception of their own stuff like "The Gathering Storm" HBO has limited runs of any movie they rent. They can't run "Forrest Gump" whenever they want. They have contracts with the studios limiting the amount of showings. If you were CEO of a studio would you rent out your assets on an unlimited basis?

Every year / season there is more and more HD content from various sources. I read an artical that accuratly pointed out HDTV is growing faster than color TV did. Some day there will only be HDTV as the equipment will be cheap enough and the only thing available. Today, you can't buy new analog SDTV edting equipment for example. The price point of digital stuff has come so low since 1990 that it's all there is available.

HDTV will take over. It will take many years. At least we don't hear much of the "HDTV is dead" threads here like we did two years ago.

Just be patient and remember television is a business in the USA. If it's not run like one, it won't be around.

· Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Basically what I was saying is that HBO and Showtime currently have there HD channels just mirror the regular channels. I think they should make them seperate channels and only show HD material.

Actually I was under the assumption that they could run a movie whenever they want if they have the rights to show it. It makes sense I guess that they cant' show it multiple times. At the same token they have like 10 different channels showing 10 different things as is. Why would it be so hard to only have HD material (including there original shows) only. Why would I want to watch anything in SD on an HDTV channel when I can watch the SD material on a different channel?

· Registered
936 Posts
They sometimes show different programming on HBO Latino, and sometimes show the same thing as on standard HBO. So, I see no reason why they couldnt fill HD shows into the time periods when standard HBO is showing something not in HD.

· Registered
5,574 Posts
I agree with Hpierce.

I would personally prefer to have repeated showings of the same material in HD on HBO-HD and SHO-HD than to have SD material mixed in with HD material.

If there is something that I want to see that is only in SD, I can always go to the standard HBO or SHO channels.

It is a waste of HD bandwidth to show non-HD material.

Note that HBO already has this sort of policy with their HBOL channel, which is Spanish language. It generally follows the regular HBO channel, but when programming is not available in Spanish, they put something else that is in Spanish into the lineup. They should do the same with HBO-HD.

· Registered
702 Posts
I too would prefer repitition of HD material, but given that they have a limited number of showings for their material, I'd rather keep it the way it is so that the showings are spread out over multiple weeks, rather than using up all 5 showings of forrest gump in one day.

· Registered
304 Posts
the main problem for me is their NON-movie NON-HD programming that runs almost every evening. (Dennis Miller, 6 feet under, sex in the city, etc). here on the west coast, it falls smack in the middle of the evening.

if they can't increase the NUMBER of times they show an HD movie per month, AT LEAST move it to PRIME TIME!

since TIME SHIFTING is NOT a practical option in HD for mere mortals, showing HD movies at 4 am or weekdays at noon does NOT fit suit the majority of their HD customer's needs.

(ideally, i agree - get rid of all the redundant SD stuff, and rotate the HD stuff more)

· Registered
7 Posts
Be carefull what you ask for !

The Canadian HD movie channel only shows hd movies!! The down side is they only show have one or two screenings a day and the rest of the time there's this deadful hd demonstation loop. ...Total waste of limted hd badwidth. I wish our TMN would upconvert "Six feet under" or whatever until they get more hd product.

It would seem to me that HBO are making the most of what product they have.

Cheers

· Registered
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chap
Why would I want to watch anything in SD on an HDTV channel when I can watch the SD material on a different channel?
Don't know about DirecTV, but on Dish, the quality of a SD show on SHO-HD or HBO-HD looks much, much better than the same show on the regular SHO or HBO channel. The HD channels are sharper, and nearly free from compression artifacts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.