AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

As you can likely infer from the thread title, I am wondering if I can use HBO Go on my Chromecast with Xfinity.

I know that Comcast stupidly blocks HBO Go on a number of devices (most notably Roku and PS3), so I'm wondering if Chromecast will work.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonAVS  /t/1523000/hbo-go-chromecast-and-xfinity/0_100#post_24494525

As you can likely infer from the thread title, I am wondering if I can use HBO Go on my Chromecast with Xfinity.

I know that Comcast stupidly blocks HBO Go on a number of devices (most notably Roku and PS3), so I'm wondering if Chromecast will work.

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/03/06/comcast-today-trouble-hbo-go/

Ian

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonAVS  /t/1523000/hbo-go-chromecast-and-xfinity#post_24496176

What quality streams does HBO Go offer?

1080p? 5.1?

On an Apple TV 3rd Generation 1080P and 5.1 DD.

Looks pretty good - not Vudu HDX - but in a similar range to Netflix HD (I would still say the better Netflix Super HD encodes look better).

I purchased Prometheus on Vudu HDX some time ago. Prometheus looks OK on HBO Go - but the Vudu HDX versions looks way better.

A 10 minute average of Prometheus on HBO Go is 4 Mbps - so that also fits in with what my eyes tell me.

When watching HBO I will typically try to record or download to my DirecTV DVR which is better quality than HBO Go. However if its something not available for download from DirecTV I would still use HBO Go - while not the best quality it is definitely watchable.

Edit one other thing I should add - Prometheus on HBO is cropped (like most other movies on HBO) to fit in 16:9 - Vudu HDX is (thankfully) the original aspect ratio

·
Registered
8,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided  /t/1523000/hbo-go-chromecast-and-xfinity/0_100#post_24496546

When watching HBO I will typically try to record or download to my DirecTV DVR which is better quality than HBO Go. However if its something not available for download from DirecTV I would still use HBO Go - while not the best quality it is definitely watchable.

Same here. With DTV you're getting 1080i. HBO GO streams at 720p which makes it look a bit softer.

Ian

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

·
Registered
8,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided  /t/1523000/hbo-go-chromecast-and-xfinity/0_100#post_24496646

HBO GO Streams 1080P on Apple TV and Other Platforms

http://www.techofthehub.com/2013/07/hbogo-apple-tv-1080p-review.html

but as above I would still use the DirecTV feed above HBO Go.

I just assumed it was still 720p, since I never checked it. For some reason it looks sharper on DTV at 1080i off the satellite.

Ian

·
Registered
2,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonAVS  /t/1523000/hbo-go-chromecast-and-xfinity#post_24494525

Used Chromecast to watch True Detective on 60" plasma. Looked pretty damn good. Cast from my Samsung tablet.

Now use Chromecast to watch lots of stuff via sfinity tv2go from laptop. Can't cast via tablet.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely  /t/1523000/hbo-go-chromecast-and-xfinity#post_24505844

Used Chromecast to watch True Detective on 60" plasma. Looked pretty damn good. Cast from my Samsung tablet.

Now use Chromecast to watch lots of stuff via sfinity tv2go from laptop. Can't cast via tablet.

Agree it doesn't look bad - although only 2.0 sound on a Chromecast with picture quality a little lower than the Apple TV.

Router 10 minute averages on Prometheus

Chromecast ~ 2.7 Mbps

Apple TV ~ 4 Mbps

We know the Apple TV is 1080P and my guess is the Chromecast (based on eyes and router stats) is 720P for HBO Go

The Apple TV also does 5.1 DD vs 2.0 on the Chromecast (that said there still is decent matrix surround to give some surround effects on the Chromecast)

I would still use DirecTV DVR / On Demand ahead of either for HBO if the show/movie was available.

That said HBO Go is definitely watchable on both and convenient for shows that aren't currently airing or on DirecTV On Demand

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
The final episode "The Leftovers" was entirely in HD for me on HBO Go. BTW, news is that HBO wants to start selling the service without having a cable or satellite subscription. Figured that was going to happen.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
when this will happen?
It's been announced for next year. My bet it will no later than a couple weeks before the next season of "Game of Thrones." Not being a "Thrones" fan I may sign up to watch their version of "Utopia" since I have the UK version on BD. I may not stick around after that finishes but will probably binge catchup other series I'm interested in while there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts