1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
My question is- will you have to have a cable/satellite subscription to HBO, or can this be a separate paid service? If the latter, I may be doing some shuffling with my satellite package.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad /forum/post/20787092

My question is- will you have to have a cable/satellite subscription to HBO, or can this be a separate paid service? If the latter, I may be doing some shuffling with my satellite package.

My guess is that it will simply be another way to access HBO GO, you will still need the subscription through whatever cable/satellite service you already have.

HBO still relies to much on cable and satellite to give people a way to get the service without having a cable/satellite provider.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Agreed, there is absolutely zero chance this is anything but HBO GO as it currently exists, but running on consoles. That means you already have a subscription with your cable provider, and your cable provider offers HBO GO.

With that, said, this is great news. I really liked HBO GO but it was a drag watching stuff on my laptop. Hope it isn't tied to PS+, that would be unfortunate.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
It would be nice if this was an app that gave you access to all of your cable company's online "Go" content. I'm not an HBO sub, but I get pretty much all non-premium channels my cable company offers.

If I could stream it all from a PS3, then I could get a second PS3 for the bedroom (instead of a cable box). I can't be bothered with hooking up a laptop to the TV because I either need a really long cable to control it from my bed or I have to keep getting up.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm loving this service on my HTPC, always like having the option available on consoles too.

Ditched cable over a half a year ago and missed some of HBO's offerings. My sister gave me her log in info for this and now I can watch my Entourage (I know, crappy show, for some reason it's dug it's claws into me).

Nice thing about HBO go is they offer the new shows online when hey air on traditional TV/Satellite , no wait at all.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode /forum/post/20787984

Nice thing about HBO go is they offer the new shows online when hey air on traditional TV/Satellite , no wait at all.

Yeah, that's one of the nice things about HBO GO that I pay for, and you steal.

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee /forum/post/20788087

Yeah, that's one of the nice things about HBO GO that I pay for, and you steal.

Considering I pay for the HBO service part of my sisters cable bill I don't feel too bad about "stealing" the thing I paid for, but I'm sure you'll try and find something wrong with that too. You seem like such the nice guy!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, paying or not, you're still piggybacking a service that doesn't meet the conditions your sister agreed to with the cable/satellite company. That's in no way how the service was intended and you know it. Justify all you want--I really don't care. Hence, the smiley.

But, don't worry--I'm not going to turn you in. I am, after all, a nice guy.

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee /forum/post/0

Well, paying or not, you're still piggybacking a service that doesn't meet the conditions your sister agreed to with the cable/satellite company. That's in no way how the service was intended and you know it. Justify all you want--I really don't care. Hence, the smiley.

But, don't worry--I'm not going to turn you in. I am, after all, a nice guy.

It's cool dude. For all you know I live with my sister, you don't know? But you attack nonetheless ...... But it's all good, the lack oxygen up on that giant horse combined with the exhaustion from the stone throwing can make "people" type silly things.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I hate that it requires you to use one of the satellite providers/major cable companies. I'm sorry I live in ND and have HBO through the only cable company around here, thanks for not allowing me to use your service HBO. Glad I can subsidize it for the rest of the country though.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode /forum/post/20788295

It's cool dude. For all you know I live with my sister, you don't know? But you attack nonetheless ...... But it's all good, the lack oxygen up on that giant horse combined with the exhaustion from the stone throwing can make "people" type silly things.

... and feeling defensive about stealing makes other people type silly things.
Keep telling yourself you're not doing anything wrong to salve your conscience.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp /forum/post/20788938

I hate that it requires you to use one of the satellite providers/major cable companies. I'm sorry I live in ND and have HBO through the only cable company around here, thanks for not allowing me to use your service HBO. Glad I can subsidize it for the rest of the country though.

They are adding new cable companies still, I believe. Charter (that I am subscribed to) wasn't one of the originals and it got added. Hopefully your cable co gets added sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon /forum/post/20789243

... and feeling defensive about stealing makes other people type silly things.
Keep telling yourself you're not doing anything wrong to salve your conscience.

Not defensive at all, just find it funny, and can't help myself when righteousness rears it's head.

Answer me this! Lets say I buy into the "screams of thievery" your so quick to throw my way. When does it not become thievery? For example, Lets say I still had overpriced cable/satellite at my place instead of going all streaming (A free antenna on my roof, so now I just pay for Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo (well, maybe, mabye not right?!)), but my wife's name is on the bill, can I still use it without being a crook? I mean, my names not on the bill, but I live in the household, does the fact I live in the household mean I good or not? What about my imaginary kids billy and othello? Are they allowed to use HBO go? They are here most of the time, except during the summers when they are away at math camp. How about weird uncle Steve? He stays here 182.6 days our of the year, does him being in the household over half the year (unless its leap year) mean he's privy to a little True Blood action? I mean, where does the "moral" line start or end when it comes to who is worthy of not being a thief?

Please! I go out of my way to pay for a service and since my name is not on the bill I'm a thief. I hope anybody out there in internet land who has a bill in their name for Netflix, Hulu, VUDU, etc, etc, etc, doesn't let any ones eye's but themselves peer upon the screen while watching unless you want to be deemed a dirty, dirty thief!

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Actually, all of your questions are easily answered by your service contract. Your household (by "your" I mean "the household that is the service address") is allowed to use it. Anyone in your household is allowed to use it. If you are living in the household, you are allowed to use it. If you are not, you aren't. Pretty simple. So, are you living at the service address? If not, you are violating the terms of the service agreement.

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon /forum/post/20790112

Actually, all of your questions are easily answered by your service contract. Your household (by "your" I mean "the household that is the service address") is allowed to use it. Anyone in your household is allowed to use it. If you are living in the household, you are allowed to use it. If you are not, you aren't. Pretty simple. So, are you living at the service address? If not, you are violating the terms of the service agreement.

Wooohooo! Seems as if I'm good to go with HBO Go (legal wise, maybe not on a opinionated moral level for some humans on this planet) !

HBO Go terms snippets:

To be eligible to access the Services, you must meet the following criteria (the “Eligibility Criteria”): (1) you must reside within the fifty contiguous states of the United States of America ("US"), the District of Columbia, and certain US territories (the “Service Area”); (2) you must be a subscriber with an account in good standing with an authorized television provider (“Distributor”) of (a) HBO that carries HBO GO, or a (b) Cinemax that carries Cinemax GO; and, in certain cases, (3) you must subscribe to both HBO and HBO on Demand or to both Cinemax and Cinemax on Demand, as applicable. If you meet these Eligibility Criteria, you may additionally be authorized to add household member accounts, subject to availability, as described in more detail in the terms of use of your Distributor.

Considering (via ever so 100 percent factual web searches) "household member" is synonym for family by the US government (ie: (i) the person's spouse, whether or not he or she resides in the same home with the person, (ii) the person's former spouse, whether or not he or she resides in the same home with the person, (iii) the person's parents, stepparents, children, stepchildren, brothers, sisters, half-brothers, half-sisters, grandparents and grandchildren, regardless of whether such persons reside in the same home with the person, (iv) the person's mother-in- Law, father-in-law, sons-in-law, daughters-in-law, brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law who reside in the same home with the person,") I'm within the laws definition.

Wheeeeeeeewh, gonna stop looking over my shoulder for johhny law! Thank ya *insert deity of choice here* fpr being "pretty simple"!

Anyway, maybe it would be a good thing to ditch HBO Go anyway, love this little nugget of awesome the plunk at the end of the "terms"!

27. NO JURY TRIAL:

You waive your rights to a jury trial in any proceeding with HBO or its affiliates, partners, respective service providers, suppliers and/or licensors.

Snazzy!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heh. Overcompensate much?

So, does it go without saying that this will have HD streams? I've only ever used GO on the iPad. Is there an HD option with an HTPC?

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee /forum/post/20792972

Heh. Overcompensate much?

Nah, just figure sarcasm works best to "reach" people when people either don't know (or even better yet, when they do know) they are out of road, drop out if sight, or like to have last words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee /forum/post/20792972

So, does it go without saying that this will have HD streams? I've only ever used GO on the iPad. Is there an HD option with an HTPC?

Nope, no HD option. All you get is an "optimizing video quality" during buffering. I assume it just pushes the best feed to you depending on your internet connection. Be nice to have the option for feed quality for those with bandwidth caps. That being said, from what I've watched, The quality is pretty good on my end.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Yeah the picture quality looks fine from my Iphone 4 to my 70" XBR and Samsung 46" 6420

·
Registered
382 Posts
Different track, but I don't understand how HBO Go on a console makes any sense. I'd assume your gaming TV has the cable/satellite/Fios connection, so what would HBO Go on the console get you over HBO on demand?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts