AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I'll probably get crucified here, but I figured I'd take my wavering to y'all and get an earful.)

I'm just now understanding the HBO Go works on Chromecast and just now understanding how Chromecast works -- honestly, it isn't like the main bit of information about Chromecast really tells you anything.

So I can imagine popping for $35 and getting a Chromecast and hooking it up to my 5.1 AV Receiver, and streaming HBO GO wirelessly to my 60" Plasma TV. HBO GO is the only content reason I technically need a Chromecast or AppleTV or Roku, since my TV and my BluRay players have more apps than I know what to do with, but not HBO Go.
  • I don't know that HBO Go on Chromecast serves up 5.1 sound - does it?
  • I was thinking I'd get an AppleTV for various other reasons
  • I was thinking that I'd get superior streaming with AppleTV because I can plug it into my Ethernet and not deal with the mysteries of WiFi in my home

So yes, you'll all tell me that the bandwidth for streaming never exceeds the capabilities of WiFi, and yes, you all will tell me that such and such a device is better than such and such a device. All I'll say in advance:
  • There are mysteries in how WiFi works (or sometimes doesn't work) in my home
  • I do have a lot of Apple gear, which I understand would enable me to take advantage of some AppleTV features.
  • I'm not much into the Google world (no Android, Chrome is not my primary browser on my Macs or my iPhone).

Ok. Go ahead now. Edumacate me.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Searching for HBO GO in both the Chromecast and Apple TV threads will answer most of your questions and frankly give you much better insight than posting a set of question about both here.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldxyz  /t/1524433/hbo-go-in-5-1-high-quality-streaming-chromecast-or-apple-tv#post_24533802

(I'll probably get crucified here, but I figured I'd take my wavering to y'all and get an earful.)

I'm just now understanding the HBO Go works on Chromecast and just now understanding how Chromecast works -- honestly, it isn't like the main bit of information about Chromecast really tells you anything.

So I can imagine popping for $35 and getting a Chromecast and hooking it up to my 5.1 AV Receiver, and streaming HBO GO wirelessly to my 60" Plasma TV. HBO GO is the only content reason I technically need a Chromecast or AppleTV or Roku, since my TV and my BluRay players have more apps than I know what to do with, but not HBO Go.
  • I don't know that HBO Go on Chromecast serves up 5.1 sound - does it? No it does not. Sound is in stereo. The chromecast is surely capable of delivering 5.1 sound (Netflix does it). But the capability must be coded into the app for it to work. So until HBO updates the Go app with 5.1 output, we are stuck with stereo
  • I was thinking I'd get an AppleTV for various other reasons
  • I was thinking that I'd get superior streaming with AppleTV because I can plug it into my Ethernet and not deal with the mysteries of WiFi in my home

So yes, you'll all tell me that the bandwidth for streaming never exceeds the capabilities of WiFi, and yes, you all will tell me that such and such a device is better than such and such a device. All I'll say in advance:
  • There are mysteries in how WiFi works (or sometimes doesn't work) in my home
  • I do have a lot of Apple gear, which I understand would enable me to take advantage of some AppleTV features.
  • I'm not much into the Google world (no Android, Chrome is not my primary browser on my Macs or my iPhone).

Ok. Go ahead now. Edumacate me.

I dont own an appleTv, So cant comment on the rest. But ideally ethernet works better for streaming in general. But I think in most cases, unless your wifi is really bad, streaming will more likely suffer due to congestion on the hbo/netflix/etc servers. Specifically, you'll see buffering during peak periods (7-10 pm on weekdays, mostly)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey. thanks!

Yeah, my Wi-Fi delivers only 1/10th of the speed in my living room as it does closer to my router (ugh). And 5.1 is a big enough reason for me to get an AppleTV… unless I want to wait to see if HBO updates the Chromecast app.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts