AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to order one or the other so I have something else to watch. Which would you say is the better pick of the two? I will be using DirecTv and a Sammy T160.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Showtime is usally OAR, but a lot of its programming isn't HD despite OAR. HBO is usually HD, but more often than not, is not OAR. From an overall picture quality standpoint, from what I have seen, I give HBO the slight edge. If OAR doesn't concern you like some around here- go for HBO I would say.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have both and I must say that I watch more on HBO. Showtime has had a couple of good events and they do their transfers in OAR (when they do them and don't upconvert!). HBO has the Sopranos, Six Feet Under and more original programming that I like to watch. I am not as interested in Showtime's current original programming. If I could only have one. it would probably be HBO. I do with they would do OAR, though.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
HBO wins by a large margin because of their in house programming. Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Live from Baghdad, etc.

Plus HBO gets better movies... Spiderman, Star Wars II, etc.

SHO may have a better policy on OAR presentations, but they just don't get enough good content.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I dropped Showtime because the quantity of programming they make available in HD is quite sparse. The movies were just too few and too far in between. Despite any complaints about OAR on HBO, there is much more value to an HBO subscription than there is to Showtime.

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Xfactor, as stated in another thread, SHO has lots of "unlisted" HD programing. You need to check yourself, don't go by the guide.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I would agree that if you only get one get HBO but if you have an HDTV set and you know how there is a lack of programming why not spend the extra $10 and get both? You should take advantage of what is out there... also to those of you who canceled showtime awhile back becuase of lack of widescreen programming you might want to check it out again.. over the last few months they have had more and more HD stuff as well as widescreen movies that are very good upconverts (DVD quality or better). I would say 2/3 of their movies are now shown widescreen.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
SHO has some of its widescreen programs as upconverts which are poorer quality. However, when SHO lists lists a show as HDTV it is usually better quality than HBO.

As far as programming, that is individual taste. Personally I find I watch more on SHO but that is just my taste. However, HBO has more of its shows in HD. Both have most movies shown in prime time in HD.

Rick R

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just my opinion, but until there is an affordable way to time shift satellite HD programs, I don't think either channel is really worth it. I subscribe to SHOHD, but between work, family, etc. there is about a 3 hour window each evening when I could watch something. Because I live in the west, my "prime time" is actually late night on SHOHD (which originates in the eastern time zone). The odds of there being a movie on at that time that I actually want to see are not great.

Before I had HD, I just used my Tivo to time shift the movies that I wanted to see.

Hopefully the HD Tivo will be here soon...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm curious about the same thing. I've got Comcast with HD and I'm tired of only having 3 channels in HD. I have a special right now of 19.95/mo for digital cable, and to get Showtime or HBO on top of that they are $15 each (12 HBO's and 14 Showtimes, of course only the 1 HD of each) My question is what is the quality of the HD broadcast? How do they compare to DVD, network HD shows and PBS HD demo loops? If they are just DVD quality, I'd rather just stick with Netflix and get what I want instead of what they decide on.

Thanks for any comments.

Randy

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
I'm curious about the same thing. I've got Comcast with HD and I'm tired of only having 3 channels in HD. I have a special right now of 19.95/mo for digital cable, and to get Showtime or HBO on top of that they are $15 each (12 HBO's and 14 Showtimes, of course only the 1 HD of each) My question is what is the quality of the HD broadcast? How do they compare to DVD, network HD shows and PBS HD demo loops? If they are just DVD quality, I'd rather just stick with Netflix and get what I want instead of what they decide on.
HD on HBO and for the Most part SHO is much better PQ then a dvd. The programing is 720p or 1080i were a dvd is only 480p. But what the hell do I know!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.