AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HBO HD PPV Boxing

Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey

1080 & DD

Saturday March 13, 2010

Live from Cowboys Stadium, Arlington, Texas

Manny Pacquiao

Height: 5'6"

Record: 40-3-2 (38 KOs)

Hometown: General Santos City, Philippines

vs.

Joshua Clottey

Height: 5'8"

Record: 35-3-1 (20 KOs)

Hometown: Accra, Ghana

From The Dallas Star Telegram
Quote:
HBO has big plans for Pacquiao-Clottey fight

University of Texas alum/HBO Sports director Marc Payton said the overhead video board at Cowboys Stadium will provide unprecedented viewing for in-house fans because of the close-ups -- particularly in the corners between rounds -- of the Manny Pacquiao-Joshua Clottey fight Saturday night.

Payton will be on hand to direct the pay-per-view ($49.99) fight for HBO.

"I grew up a Cowboys fan, so this is nirvana for me to direct the first fight ever held in Cowboys Stadium," said Payton, who was raised in the Texas Panhandle and has lived in The Woodlands, just north of Houston, since 1982.

Put a 20x20 foot ring inside a 3-million square foot venue and what do you get? A chance for creativity, said the veteran HBO Boxing director of 29 years.

"In terms of how we actually cover the fight itself, not a lot changes from bell to bell," Payton said. "But the stuff between rounds, between fights prior to the main event, now that's where we can really use the stadium to magnify the coverage."

Extra cameras have been added. HBO's Max Kellerman will work with a hand-held cameraman and report from around the stadium.

"For me, it'll be the corner action between rounds, close-ups of the fighters' faces, cuts being treated ... these [are] shots of a fight that you often don't get even seated close to ringside."

Because of the 60x170-foot video board, fans in attendance will get state-of-the-art close-ups from the PPV feed, no matter if they bought a $33 ticket or a $2,730 center ringside seat.

Payton, 62, has directed some of HBO's biggest fights, including all the Thomas Hearns-Marvin Hagler-Sugar Ray Leonard classics as well as Buster Douglas-Mike Tyson from Tokyo in 1990.

He directed Sunday Night Football on ESPN through the 2000 season and Sunday Night Baseball through 2001. For 22 years, he worked at HBO and ESPN until, as Payton put it, the travel became too much.

Now he has a fight practically in his own back yard. It's only a 230-mile drive from The Woodlands to Arlington.

From ESPN.com
Quote:
Jones lands Pacquiao-Clottey bout

By Dan Rafael

Jerry Jones got his fight.

The owner of the Dallas Cowboys, who made a strong pitch to host the now-aborted Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight at Cowboys Stadium by offering a record $25 million site fee, landed the next best thing.

The new $1.2 billion state-of-the-art facility in Arlington, Texas, will host Pacquiao's March 13 pay-per-view welterweight title defense against Joshua Clottey.

Jones and Top Rank's Bob Arum and Todd duBoef, who toured the facility and were Jones' guests at Saturday night's Cowboys playoff victory against the Philadelphia Eagles, closed the deal for the bout on Sunday afternoon.

"Bob was persistent in keeping this alive as a place for Manny's fight," Jones told ESPN.com, while celebrating the deal with Arum and duBoef. "I'm so glad Bob came back to us. We are so excited about this event and that we will be able to bring a big fight here for the Hispanic boxing fans, and all boxing fans in this area, who are also Dallas Cowboys fans. It's important for us. Manny is such an exemplary athlete."

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but Jones could not contain his excitement.

"I never got into the NFL or bought the Cowboys for the money. I was lucky enough to already have some," he said. "This is about having a fighter like Manny and an event like this in our venue. When we finished the deal, I was shaking as much as I was when we beat the Eagles. I'm just as excited."

From ESPN.com
Quote:
The televised undercard bouts for the March 13 welterweight title fight between Manny Pacquiao and Joshua Clottey at Cowboys Stadium are finalized.

WBC super featherweight champion Humberto Soto will fight former WBC lightweight champion David Diaz for the vacant WBC lightweight title.

A pair of 10 round bouts featuring former two-time world champion Jose Castillo and popular middleweight John Duddy will also take place.

Castillo will fight Alfonso Gomez and Duddy takes on Michael Medina, in a pair of middleweight bouts.

"Each matchup will feature a world class fighter from a different region of Mexico or a Hispanic region in the United States," Arum said

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
51,000 in attendance. Geez.

Pacman landed 1200 punches and put on a show. His opponent just imitated a punching bag a got his payday.

Mosley should beat Duckweather and we can get two offensive fighters for the next stadium fight. 100,00 should be easy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts