AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As has been posted here before, the is quite a bit of variation in the HD PQ on HBO, Showtime, etc.

Last night, Harry Potter on HBO HD looked like DVD quality to me - not even close to the stunning HD on other movies I've seen.

My question: Is there a source of information (such as a website) which identifies which HBO movies are true HD and not a mediocre upconvert job?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
If it is 16x9 then it is HD on HBO. HBO does not upconvert anything that is 16x9. So if it 4x3 then you know its not HD. Where as Showtime upconverts alot of stuff and sometimes you think something is in HD but its not. Harry Potter looks much better than the DVD but you need a display device cable of resolving of the detail. I have a 50" Toshiba HDTV and some movies on HBO-HD look alot better than their DVD counterparts and some just look slightly better. I also have Marantz 720p DLP projector and you can see alot more detail on it than you can with the 50" CRT HDTV. So, maybe it is your display device rather than HBO though I know what you mean as some movies do just look better.

Mike

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Dycus
I've seen Harry Potter several times on HBO-HD, and it looks great.
... as long as there are no pesky lightning flashes ;) I suppose the carrier may something to do with PQ issues.

HDC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.