AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am waiting patiently for my new oval dish, HD stb and HDTV to be delivered. Meanwhile I have been looking over HBO's offerings and notice 'true HDTV' next to many of the movies. I don't see it next to the Soprano's listing for Sunday night. What gives? One of the biggest reasons I'm going to HDTV is to watch the Sopranos in HDTV with surround sound. Did I make a monumental error?

Thanks,

Fletch

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah kinda stinks.

Maybe they will make a change for the next season, but currently the Sopranos is 480i letterbox with DD.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Perhaps they've changed something, but the third season was definitely HD when it originally ran last year. I haven't been watching the reruns, so I can't tell you if they were in HD as well. I'll check again this Sunday.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well this is dissapointing. I could have sworn I saw posts discussing the quality of the Sopranos in HD. My wife may kill me. If I don't post for a few days please contact the proper authorities.

Fletch

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
The sopranos reruns that are showing now are as good as any HD on HBO. I thought I remember seeing somewhere that the latest stuff is upconverts to 1080i.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The Sopranos most certainly was in HD. Sometimes the web site is in error. Another possible explanation is that it might be an older rerun that was done before they began HD production.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Season three of the Soprano's was in HD. It looked and sounded great. The first two seasons were not in HD, but they were in widescreen.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zeitgeistdr
Season three of the Soprano's was in HD. It looked and sounded great. The first two seasons were not in HD, but they were in widescreen.
True, the first two seasons were not shown in HD on their first run. But they went back and re-mastered them in HD for the re-runs and IMO, they look even better than the third season probably because the facility had more HD expereince and some better equipment.

To me this represents a very clear comittment to HDTV by HBO. To go the the expense of re-mastering a show in HDTV that was origionally transferred and cut in SDTV for re-runs is unprecidented. Though not official information, I have no doubt the fourth season will be HDTV.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Even though I already bought the first and second season in DVD, I'd love to buy them again in DVHS in HD :) Come on HBO, read this!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.