AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is switching from DirecTV to Comcast. He hasn't canceled his DirecTV yet so we were able to compare the picture quality of HBO and Showtime HD feeds from the two providers. Showtime looked exactly the same, but HBO looked considerably softer on DirecTV. We must have gone back forth 100 times and examined two different movies. Maybe DirecTV's making room for CBS.

I'd guesstimate that there is a 10% difference in picture quality between HBOHD Comcast and HBOHD DirecTV. We were examining this on a 65" 7 inch gun Hitachi, so setups that can display more resolution might see more of a difference.

Equipment:

Hitachi 65XBX20B (I think that's the model)

Zenith SAT520 DirecTV Sat

Motorola 6200 HD Box Comcast

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Interesting. Reports pop up evey once in a while regarding Directv's PQ. They go back and forth between "looks better" and "looks soft". I wish there was some concrete proof either way.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am seeing the same thing. Some days good, other days just OK. One constant is HDNet. That feed is unreal. I wish all my HD looked that crisp.

Another is Trading Spaces on Discovery HD Theater. For some reason that show knocks your HD socks off.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dm145
Interesting. Reports pop up evey once in a while regarding Directv's PQ. They go back and forth between "looks better" and "looks soft". I wish there was some concrete proof either way.
The concrete proof is that members keep seeing a difference. As I've said before, DirecTV is still fine tuning the stat muxing for HD channels, and on occasion some HD channels will look less than pristine from time to time. HD channels from them will simply not look great or lousy all the time.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Was watching Biker Boyz Saturday evening via DirecTV feed of HBO and notieced smearing and pixelation. Switched to Cablevision HBO-HD and did see a sharper picture and did not notice any artifacts. Like others have set, DirecTV is probably making room for CBS-HD and FOX-ED. The picure quality chnages on DirecTV can get quite annoying.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The smearing seems more evident now especially in the darker scenes. Eyes Wide Shut had some darker moments where parts of the picture would linger for a few frames and watching the sames scenes on Comcast later the video was perfect. I wish that they wouldn't stat mux at all, but I know that they will continue mainly because they have spent a lot of money on the equipment to do it. I'm sure the equipment manufacturers are telling DirecTV that their equipment will let them get at least 2 channels of HDTV in a single transponder with no noticeable degradation of the picture. Well we all notice it. I can see that the same thing is happening with HD that happened with the standard digital channels. They will say that it's only slightly worse that the full bitrate video, but we should let DirecTV know that we want the best picture possible. The CBS games that DirecTV aired this season looked as good as what I was getting off the air, so they were probably giving the games the full 19.3 megabits per second. I only hope that they do the same thing when they start carrying the CBS East and West coast feeds, and that the Super Bowl gets the full bit rate.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My experience, is that more often than not Directv looks better on the weekend, as opposed to weekdays. Picture looks crisper on weekend on hd and non-hd broadcasts, to me anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.