AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2508 Posts

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just saw that Comcast cut a deal and Comcast customers can use their credentials to log into the HBO Max app., assuming they have HBO in their package.

Their launching original series is Love Life, which is getting panned.

Maybe I will check out the Loony Tunes. But they seem to have a big pipeline according to the Wiki entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_programs_distributed_by_HBO_Max

Not really interested in the DC stuff, though maybe I'll check it out.

Boondocks I'd check out and maybe the UK series listed there.

Get with the 4K AT&T!

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I'm very disappointed that they are not going to carry the Cinemax original content like Strike Back and Banshee...
When HBO Max was first announced last fall, my understanding was it would put all TimeWarner, HBO, Cinemax, and DC Universe content under one roof. I know existing deals need to expire in some cases, but Strike Back and Banshee were pulled from Amazon Prime last week (as free for Prime members) along with all the HBO content, like True Blood, Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire, etc.. Where did those Cinemax shows go?

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
I think overall the movie content is solid, they just need some big original series...they have some nice deals in place with TCM, Ghibli etc which gives them the ability to put out a varied mix of content...unlike Disney+ where Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm are all basically PG friendly...HBO Max is probably the one best suited to topple Netflix in a few years, they just need to play the long game

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think overall the movie content is solid, they just need some big original series...they have some nice deals in place with TCM, Ghibli etc...it has the potential to put a scare in Netflix but it's going to take some time to build up a stable of catalog titles and originals
I’m surprised they have as many as they do in the pipeline.

Imagine they’re mostly drafting on HBO original shows, which on average are high quality. But HBO struggles to keep subscribers year round when tentpole shows aren’t being aired. So HBO Max still needs some draws.

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
I’m surprised they have as many as they do in the pipeline.

Imagine they’re mostly drafting on HBO original shows, which on average are high quality. But HBO struggles to keep subscribers year round when tentpole shows aren’t being aired. So HBO Max still needs some draws.
they need to leverage the critical acclaim of their HBO originals and combine that with some smart licensing deals (getting back all the Harry Potter movies was brilliant, Friends and Big Bang Theory are really popular so that was another huge win etc)...Netflix churns out so much content that people tend to forget that most of it is crap...they get a bunch of hits just from sheer numbers...I actually think Amazon Video is primed for a huge momentum swing as they have a lot of really good sci fi and fantasy series in the pipeline

Disney is going to start out strong because of their SW, MCU, Pixar catalog but can they keep it up?...I see HBO Max and Amazon making huge strides over the next few years...if HBO Max can get a lot of their older originals like The Wire or Sopranos in 4K then that would be amazing

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
They definitely made some questionable decisions with this launch. Why do HBO Go, HBO Now, Max Go/Streaming, and DC Universe continue to exist? Why didn't they nail down things with Amazon, Roku, and Dish (j/k) before launch? Sigh.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
606 Posts
Nice that it comes at no additional cost to the HBO add-on for my Hulu Live package. Not so nice that it's not yet on Roku.

Movie selection is very good, and of course it is packed with great legacy TV series. There's a strong foundation here.

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
my issue with HBO Max is that there's so much Warner Bros. content that should be available that isn't...they also own Boomerang but only a small fraction of that catalog is currently available...I'm sure over time they will add them but as a Day 1 experience it's very underwhelming- it's pretty much the same HBO I had last week but with a slightly expanded library

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
I get HBO Max free through Spectrum.

I really like the interface, flows well. The little bit of content I watched so far has phenomenal picture quality and looks awesome on my TV. I tried watching it through multiple platforms including the Xbox One X, looks great.

Content is really lacking right now and nothing jumps out at me as much watch. I hope that changes soon. Being free, I am happy with it, can't ask for more since I am not paying. If I paid $15 a month, I think I would feel ripped off.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
There really are two entirely different sets of criteria by which to evaluate this.

One: If you were already a customer. In this case, you were watching the linear channels and/or using HBO Go. In that case, this is just HBO Go with more content, at no extra cost, and sure, why not? It was already good enough for you to be paying for it, and now it's better. Or you were paying for HBO Now, and now you get this instead for the same price.

Two: You are deciding to add this to your suite of streaming sources, or swap it in place of something else, like Netflix or Hulu. In which case it's a much tougher decision that has to be made based on (1) are you compelled by the content, current and promised, and (2) does it offer the technical quality you desire. The lack of UHD and Atmos is a dealbreaker for some of us, especially when considering replacing Netflix with it.

(All of this is of course influenced by whether your streaming device supports HBOMax. The lack of support for some major devices, and the number of weird workarounds needed with others, is unbecoming what's supposed to be a top-tier service.)

I'm getting HBO via Fios, so I'm happy to have the new content, which I can stream on my AppleTV 4k at no additional cost. I don't think I would have paid anything extra for it, because of the dearth of original content, the very basic technical quality, and my lack of interest in most of the extra stuff. I did want to re-watch the early seasons of BBT, though, so I'm pleased about that.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I get HBO Max free through Spectrum.

I really like the interface, flows well. The little bit of content I watched so far has phenomenal picture quality and looks awesome on my TV. I tried watching it through multiple platforms including the Xbox One X, looks great.

Content is really lacking right now and nothing jumps out at me as much watch. I hope that changes soon. Being free, I am happy with it, can't ask for more since I am not paying. If I paid $15 a month, I think I would feel ripped off.

The interface is OK but not as much important info on selections that some of the standalone apps for content has. For example the detailed descriptions and professional critiques for the movies on TCM (as well as some other TCM “groupings”) are missing from the Max app. For TCM I’ll stay with the TCM app for now.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I think overall the movie content is solid, they just need some big original series...they have some nice deals in place with TCM, Ghibli etc which gives them the ability to put out a varied mix of content...unlike Disney+ where Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm are all basically PG friendly...HBO Max is probably the one best suited to topple Netflix in a few years, they just need to play the long game

HBO is full of original series. The rollout could have been better by associating an new series with the launch. But so many things about the launch has been convoluted and poorly handled (as compared to other recent streaming launches) that your observation is what many folks may assume.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts

Two: You are deciding to add this to your suite of streaming sources, or swap it in place of something else, like Netflix or Hulu. In which case it's a much tougher decision that has to be made based on (1) are you compelled by the content, current and promised, and (2) does it offer the technical quality you desire. The lack of UHD and Atmos is a dealbreaker for some of us, especially when considering replacing Netflix with it.

This is true. Every new service that comes out gets touted somewhere as "the Netflix killer", etc. Netflix does have lots of content that isn't great, but they have plenty that is pretty good IMO, and they are immensely popular. And the have 4K HDR and ATMOS on a fair amount of new programming. The key distinction between Netflix and just about ALL of the rest is this: Netflix has a huge train of NEW content, almost constantly. As a user, you may not like it all, but you'll probably like some of it. Disney + has almost nothing I care about that is NEW, other than the Mandelorian. Hulu has a few good new ones, HBO MAX will have some (outside of normal HBO series), I guess we will see.

Also not having any 4K at launch is such a joke, but utterly predictable for AT&T. (Oh and no Roku or FireTV at launch too, typical AT&T [email protected]%**).

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
HBO is full of original series. The rollout could have been better by associating an new series with the launch. But so many things about the launch has been convoluted and poorly handled (as compared to other recent streaming launches) that your observation is what many folks may assume.
HBO originals and Max originals are 2 separate entities...that's what I meant by Max needing more originals...HBO already had their own originals available through HBO Go/Now etc...every streaming platform needs a big original series that gets associated with them- Stranger Things on Netflix, Mandalorian on Disney+, Handmaid's Tale on Hulu, for Amazon I would like to say The Expanse but it's probably Marvelous Mrs Maisel based on all the awards and critical praise it has gotten

everything on linear HBO will be on HBO Max but not vice versa...the Max original series along with all the Ghibli, TCM etc content will not be on linear HBO

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
HBO originals and Max originals are 2 separate entities...that's what I meant by Max needing more originals...HBO already had their own originals available through HBO Go/Now etc...every streaming platform needs a big original series that gets associated with them- Stranger Things on Netflix, Mandalorian on Disney+, Handmaid's Tale on Hulu, for Amazon I would like to say The Expanse but it's probably Marvelous Mrs Maisel based on all the awards and critical praise it has gotten
Exactly.

p.s. Jack Ryan on Amazon gets lots of buzz

1 - 20 of 2508 Posts