AVS Forum banner

2241 - 2260 of 2355 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

King Kong (1976)
Streaming Now On HBOMAX

Introducing Jessica Lange in her film debut.....

A petroleum exploration expedition comes to an isolated island and encounters a colossal giant gorilla.
Director:John Guillermin
Writers:James Ashmore Creelman (based on the {1933} screenplay) (as James Creelman), Ruth Rose (based on the {1933} screenplay)
Stars:Jeff Bridges, Charles Grodin, Jessica Lange

You all know the story; a shipload of men are going to Skull Island and along the way they pick up an attractive young woman who was "saved by Deep Throat" :ROFLMAO: . Once they arrive, they discover a giant wall, a tribe of natives, and soon realize that the tribe is involved in sacrificing women to a giant ape. The natives eventually kidnap the aspiring actress and offer her to the huge primate named Kong. He takes her, and the adventure begins.

With a script by Lorenzo Semple Jr., creator of the similarly tongue-in-cheek Batman television series, this version of Kong is loaded with silly dialogue and situations.

Jessica Lange was indeed recruited out of 'nowhere' to be 'discovered' by Dino De Laurentiis. Before Kong Lange was mainly a model with an impressive education and some stage and dance experience. Jessica Lange was sensational as sexualized Dwan ! She could act in her debut role and it shows . Lange a very alluring . She has sexy vulnerability about her spirit. Her talent is very obvious. She was panned by some critics who apparently can not spot talent . She had many lines that she delivered with her Veronica Lake Marilyn Monroe influences. And Jessica Lange used that sexualized persona brilliantly. Because of her terrific performance she retains her dignity! I have pre-ordered the Shout ! King Kong (1976) Collector's Edition - Blu-ray releasing on my Birthday May 11 2021. I think that Jessica Lange is the biggest reason that audiences stick with the movie. Her silly 'conversations' with Kong are reasonably funny.
Quotable's :

Jessica Lange : Sometimes I get too physical, it's a sign of insecurity, you know, like when you knock down trees. ... Such a nice ape. Such a nice, sweet - nice, sweet, sweet monkey. You know, we're gonna be great friends. I'm a Libra. What sign are you? Nice, sweet monkey. We're gonna be great friends." -- Dwan to King Kong.

Jessica Lange: Hey, Kong. Remember me from before, your blind date? Why are you waking up all these sleepy people? -- Dwan to King Kong.

Jessica Lange: " Did you ever meet anyone before whose life was saved by "Deep Throat"? --Dwan to ship crew

Jessica Lange : "You God damn chauvinist pig ape! What are you waiting for? You wanna eat me? Then go ahead! Do it! Go ahead and eat me! Go ahead! Choke on me! -- Dwan to King Kong.

Jessica Lange : "Oh, come on, Kong. Forget about me. This things just never gonna work. Can't you see? -- Dwan to King Kong.

What makes King Kong such an exciting monster was the production team. They Employed Carlo Rambaldi, Rick Baker, and Rob Bottin in the effects department. The creature effects for 100% practical using a ape bodysuit and some Animatronics ..... mechatronic puppets.The film was released on December 17, 1976 to mixed reviews from film critics, but was a box office success. It won a noncompetitive Special Achievement Academy Award for Best Visual Effects, and was also nominated for Best Cinematography and Best Sound.

Overall, the story is presented with heart (thanks, in large part to Jessica Lange's performance) and spirited work by Jeff Bridges who both make the show watchable and even fun. 9/10.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,243
Hmm a show about autistic characters ...

Will it be able to keep viewers' attention?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
As you continue on it would be fantastic for you to finish it this time. The finale is one of the greatest finales ever made. It is simply amazing!
I remember my wife raved about the ending. I just finished the 7th episode, and I don't have the patience for bingeing. It'll take me a while, but I plan to finish the series this time. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
So, anyone else see Godzilla vs. Kong? Thoughts?
It is definitely a popcorn flick. It's a perfectly adequate summer blockbuster. It will probably break pandemic box office records in the US. There are so many people renting out theaters for private showings this weekend.

My little 82" screen almost felt inadequate.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Question. . . before I drive myself crazy tweaking my system to see what is wrong with my center channel audio while trying to listen to Godzilla vs . . .

I had upgraded to the 450C Klipsch center channel with 4- 5.25 inch woofers just to get clearer center channel audio.
For some reason HBOmax at least with Godzilla the talking is muffled and low. Seemed I remember Tom and jerry the voices "were great" along with the Atmos tracks.

If I leave the volume settings where they are and switch to Netflix on the TV's app the volume is loud and clear along with the voices. Switch back to Godzilla vs on HBO max and some of their other selections and once again poor voice volume. I've even moved up the center channel volume from -4 db's (where I normally keep the center volume) to -1 db and it's not much better with Godzilla vs.

In a few days I'll re-run audssey (I'm not a fan of this Denon software) as I'll be adding 3 new HT chairs 8 feet from the front sound stage.

Is anyone else finding Godzilla vs audio garbled and overall disappointing especially the center channel audio. I don't see any settings to tweak audio in the HBO max app?

Thx

·
Registered
20,179 Posts
Finally watched Godzilla vs. Kong. Excellent movie. Visuals were stunning. Great special effects. The sound was truly impressive, gave my system a workout and I had it cranked up. I thought it was acted well, story was easy to follow. Tons of action. Just when it was starting to get a little long between action scenes something would happen. Well paced. And those action scenes, man those were a treat to watch. Just pure destruction and mindless action to sit back and enjoy the spectacle. Both Godzilla and Kong looked amazing. Really liked Godzilla using his breath weapon more often compared to previous movies. I really liked the scene were Kong knew the power of that weapon and was trying to avoid it by leaping around the city. These action scenes definitely deserver a second watch.

·
Registered
20,179 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Question. . . before I drive myself crazy tweaking my system to see what is wrong with my center channel audio while trying to listen to Godzilla vs . . .

I had upgraded to the 450C Klipsch center channel with 4- 5.25 inch woofers just to get clearer center channel audio.
For some reason HBOmax at least with Godzilla the talking is muffled and low. Seemed I remember Tom and jerry the voices "were great" along with the Atmos tracks.

If I leave the volume settings where they are and switch to Netflix on the TV's app the volume is loud and clear along with the voices. Switch back to Godzilla vs on HBO max and some of their other selections and once again poor voice volume. I've even moved up the center channel volume from -4 db's (where I normally keep the center volume) to -1 db and it's not much better with Godzilla vs.

In a few days I'll re-run audssey (I'm not a fan of this Denon software) as I'll be adding 3 new HT chairs 8 feet from the front sound stage.

Is anyone else finding Godzilla vs audio garbled and overall disappointing especially the center channel audio. I don't see any settings to tweak audio in the HBO max app?

Thx
It's the sound mix not your setup. Over on the Godzilla vs Kong thread there are numerous posts about it.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
If Japanese kaiju movies made your heart race when you were a kid, this one should put a big, sappy grin on your face. It must be viewed with childlike perspective, though; no critical faculties should be engaged. The only pickable nits, if any, can be found in Kong's fur.

I loved every bit of it, even the melodrama with various kids, teenagers, and villainous tech CEOs, because it was all so clearly made of love for the original source material, by people who understood what makes Godzilla great.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
It's the sound mix not your setup. Over on the Godzilla vs Kong thread there are numerous posts about it.

Thanks for this RD, I first posted it here as I thought it was the HBOmax app giving me issues and not my system. I read each post, but it started 2 months ago and it was funny how all the fans were amping themselves up on how amazing the audio track on this upcoming movie is going to be hahaha. I should have started from the last post and worked my way back 😜

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
Thanks for this RD, I first posted it here as I thought it was the HBOmax app giving me issues and not my system. I read each post, but it started 2 months ago and it was funny how all the fans were amping themselves up on how amazing the audio track on this upcoming movie is going to be hahaha. I should have started from the last post and worked my way back 😜
fans were hyped because Skull Island and King of the Monsters had reference audio...room shaking, glass breaking, neighbors waking audio track...hopefully the 4K disc of Godzilla vs Kong delivers that same sort of Atmos mix

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
fans were hyped because Skull Island and King of the Monsters had reference audio...room shaking, glass breaking, neighbors waking audio track...hopefully the 4K disc of Godzilla vs Kong delivers that same sort of Atmos mix
I also have "Kong the Ultimate Edition" 4K UHD DTS-X dvd and it's a "kick ass" sound track IMO 👍🏻. It's one of my top 5 audio wise!

Reactions: WilliamR

·
Registered
20,179 Posts
SAG Awards: ‘The Trial Of The Chicago 7’ Wins For Motion Picture Cast; ‘The Crown’, ‘Schitt’s Creek’ Lead TV — The Complete Winners List
By Denise Petski, Pete Hammond

Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture

WONDER WOMAN 1984

2241 - 2260 of 2355 Posts